Reload this Page >

How about meeting in SAN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How about meeting in SAN?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2001, 11:54 am

Count my wife and I in! MarkBach, I believe SD1K sent a copy of my confirmation to you.

The guest apartment is now taken. Will let those interested know if anything happens and it becomes vacant again due to cancellation or such.

Cheers!

------------------
preez mine da pratform gahp.
Old Jun 6, 2001, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I have 2 free weekend nights from Hyatt, and as the chexfan luck would figure, the Hyatt Regency in SAN is one of the two properties (besides resorts and Park Hyatts) where it isn't valid.

Any inside scoop on the Hyatt Regency Islandia on Mission Bay? Would it be in a good location for this 'lil FT Gathering?
Old Jun 6, 2001, 12:34 pm
GG

Hyatt Islandia is OK, but very much off on its own and inconvenient for those without a car.
Old Jun 6, 2001, 6:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

Check the website http://sandiego.markbach.com for information about the harbor cruise on Saturday afternoon. If you have family along who's bored by airline chat, this is the event for them. Enjoy the summer sun and sea air as you cruise the beautiful San Diego harbor.
Old Jun 6, 2001, 6:57 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
I'm also trying to put together a Mexican Bar Crawl (more fun than a Hat Dance, and cheaper, too) for Friday night, after dinner. I've heard that its easy and cheap to take public transportation from the city to the border, and into Tijuana. Anyone else interested?

BTW: The website is now updated with the Saturday cruise info.
Old Jun 6, 2001, 11:10 pm

Markbach - Tijuana is cheap and easy to get to. From downtown you can hop on the trolley for $4.50 round trip. However, Tijuana being cheap and easy as it is, you get what you pay for! My wife and I made the mistake of taking some guests there two weeks ago. The only thing I thought was a hoot was buying Cohiba Havanas... without having to get on a plane! None the less, it is an interesting place to visit, but I dunno if everyone would be up for such a place.

In San Diego, we could do a pub crawl... of sorts. Many nice British and Irish pubs here. But it would require more than a crawl, maybe many taxi cabs to get to them all. Some places are Shakespeare - stones through from the airport, huge outdoor deck, and Bodi's on tap (this place usually responsible for a rather upset wife the next morning), The Field in GasLamp - supposedly everything on the inside was shipped over from a pub in Ireland, Speakers Corner - don't know too much about... on 4th Avenue heading towards Hillcrest, and many other scattered around.

Gotta run, ATF will be busting down my door any minuite now!

------------------
preez mine da pratform gahp.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 4:06 pm
GG

We'll pass on Tijuana, thanks, but hitting a pub or three might be fun.

We try to get to Shakespeare's at least once every time we're in SD. Now, if we could just get them to raise their deck about 15 feet, we'd have a great view of the airport.

I don't know if we could work it in, but the Coronado Brewing Company has good beer. We could take the ferry over and back... not sure how this would fit into all the other stuff that's planned, however.

Old Jun 7, 2001, 5:24 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
yeah, but I can't drink in the US. I can in Mexico.
Old Jun 7, 2001, 8:38 pm

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
You can drink here too, it's just not prohibido in Mexico.

[This message has been edited by snake (edited 06-07-2001).]
Old Jun 7, 2001, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
Just a reminder to anyone signing up for the SAN gathering...discounts on AA or UA flights have been arranged for this gathering. If you are just now making reservations, see the website (http://sandiego.markbach.com) or posts earlier in this thread for the required codes. Hey, $15 or $20 saved is not a fortune, but it will cover Friday's dinner or a few extra drinks, so why not???

Additional reminder....book hotel reservations NOW...San Diego in July books up fast!
Old Jun 8, 2001, 3:34 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Still waiting for my segment to the U.S. to clear - at least, they did extend the hold for my reservation...
Old Jun 8, 2001, 10:16 pm

Programs: Lapsed elite statuses galore
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Captain Mike:
Additional reminder....book hotel reservations NOW...San Diego in July books up fast!</font>
Got the Sheraton Marina for Saturday night on Priceline for $61 (someone advised me never to bid even numbers on PL)...so at least something's still available...

Aloha.
Old Jun 9, 2001, 7:39 pm
GG

OK, so we're now ticketed. My DL FF account is a lot lighter (had to "pay" for LexPax's too) but it seems somehow appropriate to use award tickets to attend our first big FT get-together.

We're getting in Friday morning if the plane's on time. Not leaving until Tuesday, so if anyone's around on Monday, we'll probably be available to go touristing, hang-out or whatever.

I haven't been this excited about a trip in a long time - and it's to a place I go all the time. What fun!
Old Jun 9, 2001, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA 1.5MM & RC of an employee, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Thanks Lokahi for your prompt email response. I used Priceline for the first time and also got the Sheraton Marina for Sat night. My second bid was 60.00 and that was the accepted price.

Thanks also to SanDiego1K for the tips and Sheryls board.

Looking forward to see everyone in SAN next month.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Jun 9, 2001, 11:49 pm

Programs: Lapsed elite statuses galore
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by ChanelCinq:
Thanks Lokahi for your prompt email response. I used Priceline for the first time and also got the Sheraton Marina for Sat night. My second bid was 60.00 and that was the accepted price.
</font>
My pleasure. As a new face around these parts, I'm glad I could be of even limited assistance!

One question...with at least a few of us in the Sheraton on Saturday night, might we arrange group transportation to Prado and Balboa Park for the dinner?

(edited to add self-serving question...)

[This message has been edited by Lokahi (edited 06-09-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.