Reload this Page >

How about meeting in SAN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How about meeting in SAN?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2001, 8:40 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">All downtown restaurants are near the airport, cruise terminal, Harbor, Marina, trolleys, and train station. Within walking distance! </font>
Bring your walkin' shoes, according to mapquest it's 2.8 miles from the airport to the train station!
Old Jul 13, 2001, 8:13 pm

Sorry to report that I won't be able to make the weekend after all.

Thanks to Captain Mike, SanDiego1K and markbach for all the time/effort you put into this gathering. I really wish I could be there to enjoy it with all of you....

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 07-13-2001).]
Old Jul 14, 2001, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA-PLT(2MM), MC-Prem PLT, IHG-Spire
Count me in for the Friday festivities if there is still room. Sorry about the late reply, I'll send an email as well to see if there is still room.
Old Jul 16, 2001, 8:57 am

A quick logistical question: what's the best way to get from the airport to the Gaslamp Quarters/ downtown? Is there anything else becides taxis? I am arriving at 10 a.m. on Friday. Would like to drop my things at the hotel ( Gaslamp Hilton ) and then to come back for the airport tour. Any suggestions on transportation?
Old Jul 16, 2001, 9:55 am
Original Member

Location: Tucson, Southern Arizona, North America, Western Hemisphere, The Earth, a small planet in the solar system. Previously OnePass Infinite Platinum Elite, now over entitled 1K
I've used public transportation at SAN a couple of times, there are busses to downtown about every 10 minutes, it was $1.50, try the following link:

http://209.125.19.196/service/otis_start.htm

[This message has been edited by Old Gold (edited 07-16-2001).]
Old Jul 16, 2001, 10:29 am

Just to throw out one other idea--the Cloud 9 Shuttle. It would be $5.50 to the Gaslamp Hilton from the Airport. I don't know how many stops it would make though, I've never taken them. Here's their website: www.cloud9shuttle.com
(The taxi would cost you approximately $10.00, for comparison)
Old Jul 16, 2001, 11:01 am

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
Another suggestion - have you called the Hilton to see if they have a shuttle- I'm about to call the Airport Hilton to ask that same questions as my flight supposedly lands at 11:30 ( I say supposedly as it american eagle )
Old Jul 16, 2001, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
Airport Hilton is just across the street from the airport, so I can't imagine them not having a free shuttle - they must! Gaslamp Hilton is nearby - I've e-mailed Smooth and suggested she call them, too - if they don't have their own shuttle, perhaps the driver from the Airport Hilton shuttle would be kind enough to take her over to the Gaslamp property since it's so close.
Old Jul 16, 2001, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Hilton, Marriott
O.K. - We're set and ready to fly!!! Final count for the Friday airport/control tower tour is 38 - one of the largest groups they've had in quite some time! sd1k will be e-mailing all confirmed attendees within the next 24-48 hours with times and locations to meet. The airport tour will start at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, we know that, but the starting location will be determined by the order that we tour the airport and tower. Exact starting location will be included in the e-mail coming to people.
Old Jul 16, 2001, 3:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by smooth:
A quick logistical question: what's the best way to get from the airport to the Gaslamp Quarters/ downtown? Is there anything else becides taxis? I am arriving at 10 a.m. on Friday. Would like to drop my things at the hotel ( Gaslamp Hilton ) and then to come back for the airport tour. Any suggestions on transportation? </font>
Let me start with a caveat: I have never used public transporation from SAN. Thus, this advice is academic and not tested!

I found a nice website for the airport at:

http://www.portofsandiego.org/sandie...ort/index.html

You have to scroll thru some menus, and eventually you find information about the various shuttle companies and the public bus. You do not have to make a pre arrangement with a shuttle company. Rather, do the following:

Shuttle Service is available on the Transportation Plazas across from Terminals 1 and 2 via the skybridge and curbside the Commuter Terminal. Shuttle vans can be contracted by the Customer Service Representative at the Transportation Plaza.

As for the airport bus, it is called "The Flyer". It picks up at all three airport terminals and goes downtown via Broadway. The US Grant is on Broadway. The Gaslamp Hilton is opposite the Convention Center. If you are a hardcore public transportation user, you would take "The Flyer" to the train station. There, you get a trolley to the Convention Center. OR you take the bus to 4th or 5th Avenue and walk about 8 blocks south to the Gaslamp Hilton. The Hilton is on K, between 4th and 5th.

And if I've thoroughly confused you, hopefully ChuckDEEwill come to the rescue. He lives downtown, and knows the transportation MUCH better than me!

OK, one more point - the trolley is a great way to get to Old Town State Park, if you feel like Mexican food at any point during the weekend. Casa de Bandini is excellent.
Old Jul 16, 2001, 3:24 pm

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Too bad I can't be there next weekend. Everybody enjoy the wonderful programme!

For those based in SAN, I will be in town in September - 09/03 to 09/04. I would be happy to hook up with anybody for dinner or so.
Old Jul 16, 2001, 3:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

For those who are staying downtown, the Trolley is a great way to get to some interesting tourist destinations. The Blue Line will take you to Old Town or to the border, to walk across into Tijuana. You can also take the Blue Line to QUALCOMM stadium, if you decide to see the Padres play on Sunday afternoon.

The trolley is safe, clean, and inexpensive.

You can find the trolley route at

http://209.125.19.196/service/trolleymap.htm

From there, you can link to the weekend schedule.
Old Jul 16, 2001, 4:51 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

San Diego is one of my faves (actually the Hyatt Regency in La Jolla) and am sorry i will miss the event as I'm in Europe then. However, one of my assistants will stop by and say hello to some of you. So look for Janet to introduce herself and maybe, just maybe she'll be in possession of some souvenirs for your - directly from the main offices of FlyerTalk (!). Have a great time and this one looks like a winner.
Old Jul 16, 2001, 7:14 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SanDiego1K:
[B] If you are a hardcore public transportation user, you would take "The Flyer" to the train station. There, you get a trolley to the Convention Center. [B]</font>
Tip: Alamo is located immediately next to the Middletown trolley stop. Ride the Alamo shuttle and save the busfare.

Details on the "Airport Shuttle": it's route 992. Buses on weekdays run every 10 min. from 5am until 10pm, then every 15 min. from 10pm until 1am. Buses on weekends run form every 15 min. all day, from 5am until 1am. Bus fare is $2.25 one way.

The route is: from the airport on Harbor Drive to Broadway. The route ends at about 9th and Broadway. Buses on the return travel from 8th and B St. (B St. is 2 blocks N of Broadway) on B St. to 4th Ave. to Broadway to Harbor Dr. to the airport.
Old Jul 17, 2001, 9:12 am

Thanks to all for the info on public transportation. In the end, I have decided to take a taxi to the hotel. However, it would be fun to try a trolley sometime during the weekend.
For SAN residents: what would you expect for the weather this weekend? Do I need a sweater for the evenings? Our local paper shows 62F for a low in SAN. That's cold!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.