How about meeting in SAN?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How about meeting in SAN?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2001, 10:36 am
Community Director Emerita

We had a great time this weekend, meeting FTers, talking travel, and enjoying our beautiful city. Never having been to a FlyerTalk event before, I was amazed at how much help other FlyerTalkers gave us to make the SAN weekend terrific.

markbach - designed and maintained our website; was our weekend photographer
Shirl - Krispey Kreme doughtnuts for the airport tour
ChuckDee - Windsock suggestion
flyerwife - Rock Bottom Brewery suggestion
LinnyJune2 - Rock Bottom appetizer coupons
Cigarman - hosted the Saturday poker game
Old Gold - entry forms for Old Gold Sootkase tags
ChannelCinq - National Airlines club passes
chexfan - door prize (a great travel book)
Lokahi - leis for Captain Mike and me
Randy Peterson - FlyerTalk baggage tags
2 Many Miles made it possible for some attendees to come
Studley, who spotted a Village Idiot t-shirt in Savannah and shipped it on to me (VI subsequently was unable to come; if anyone knows his address, please get in touch with me!)

By the time Lokahi, attending HIS first FT event, came up and slipped a fresh lei over my head at the Prado, I was in shock at all the generosity I had received by co-hosting this event.

Thank you, one and all!

[This message has been edited by SanDiego1K (edited 07-23-2001).]
Old Jul 23, 2001, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA *G, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Have to add. I have a 2 hour delay here in Las Vegas due to a mechanical -- and boy, did this Club National pass is coming in handy today! What a nice club.

And I have to thank the good will of Channel & Co.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2001, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I'd like to add my thanks to Carol, Mike and everyone else who made this weekend such a great success. It was my second FT get-together, but will surely not be my last!

Interesting PS: my return flight was oversold because of mechanical problems with an earlier flight. I volunteered for a $350 bump - more than my RT fare - so AA ended up paying me for the trip! They routed me via SJC, in F SJC-BOS, but because I had to fly in coach to SJC, they returned my VIPOW. Finally, to top that, the flight I was originally booked on had a 2-hour delay, so I got home just minutes later than I would have by staying on it - but with the VIPOW and $350 voucher in my pocket!
Old Jul 23, 2001, 6:45 pm

Sincere thanks to Captain Mike and SanDiego1K for organising the event! It was great! I only wish we could have made it on Saturday, but other obligations ran early into Sunday morning.

Do I get a prize for the most screwed-up unintentional routing on the way home? SAN-LAX-SJC-PHX... all because the pilot plonked the aircraft down too hard in LAX, unable to fly the next flight, all HP and WN flights booked solid till late evening. Hell of a mileage run though!

------------------
preez mine da pratform gahp.
Old Jul 23, 2001, 7:52 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
A giant THANK YOU to San Diego 1K, Captain Mike, & many other people who made my first FT event alot of fun for me (and others!). Wished that I made the Fri. nite event. It was great meeting everyone! Sat. nite dinner was great! Well organized & a very friendly group. Was welcomed like an long time member although I am a newbie. Again, many thanks!
Old Jul 23, 2001, 8:37 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
http://sandiego.markbach.com/pictures.php

I've got 99 pictures up, and I've started to write out descriptions/captions of each. If you'd like to help, you can email me your captions to mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

[This message has been edited by markbach (edited 07-23-2001).]
Old Jul 24, 2001, 2:30 am

Programs: Lapsed elite statuses galore
Back in Hawaii after the outstanding FT weekend in SAN...my first, and hopefully, the first of many more to come.

Mahalo plenty to all for the warm welcome to this newbie, and very special thanks to CaptMike and SD1K for their outstanding work in coordinating the weekend. It was a great treat to meet everyone, especially some of the FT veterans like Cigarman and the exceedingly gracious Smooth.

Thanks, Jan_AZ for the nightcap after the Friday festivities...hope you're enjoying Montreal.

And thanks, too, to fellow newbie AASweets for the great advice on cat care!

Tacked on a quick variant of the ChuckDEE mileage run to the end of the trip, going SAN-LAX-OAK-LAX-SAN, then SAN-SJC-HNL to wrap things up. Everything today was running an hour to two hours late on AA, so I'm lucky and very glad to be home tonight.

Aloha!

[This message has been edited by Lokahi (edited 07-24-2001).]
Old Jul 24, 2001, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by markbach:
I've got 99 pictures up</font>
Good Job markbach.

btw- Who is Corky?
Old Jul 24, 2001, 12:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chexfan:
btw- Who is Corky?</font>
The name is close to mine, wonder if he means me, Cranky? (Picture #33, I'm on the left getting connection lessons at $4 per segment from tvl4free who is on the right).
Old Jul 24, 2001, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA 1.5MM & RC of an employee, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Mark thanks so much for spending your weekend taking photos and now putting them up on the site.

Ya know, ya could left that awful one of me off! What on earth look was that. ;-)

------------------
The world is a book, and for those who do not travel, read only a page.
-Saint Augustine
Old Jul 24, 2001, 1:56 pm
Community Director Emerita

"Who is Corky" refers to the movie poster ChexFan was gifted for driving the fewest miles on his personal car in 2000 (2000 miles, nice match). It's a Disney movie that apparently is so new I can't even find the title on www.imdb.com. So..... I have a call into my "Disney connection".

Do you think that the guy on the poster looks like Mango of SNL? Now, I'm not saying that chexfan looks like Mango, altho he did an excellent imitation at the Prado. Check chexfan out at http://www.lug.udel.edu/~mark/pics/i...mage=san83.jpg
Old Jul 24, 2001, 1:59 pm

Location: controlling the internets from an underground bunker
Programs: So l33t that I don't need a wallet full of cards to prove it. Black is the new Gold.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ChanelCinq:
What on earth look was that. ;-)</font>
I think it migh have something to do with the spilled drink in the previous picture
Old Jul 24, 2001, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
Just a quick note to bow down before Cpt Mike and SD1k (even tho she is a UA flier).

Great weekend, and really nice to put names with faces -- it's always nice to know who you're interacting with.
Old Jul 24, 2001, 5:28 pm

Programs: Lapsed elite statuses galore
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by markbach:
I think it migh have something to do with the spilled drink in the previous picture </font>
And perhaps the realization that the stealth work of a bunch of Canadian nuns in procuring fine Cuban products ended up marinating in the bouquet of a relatively nice California merlot...
Old Jul 24, 2001, 5:40 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by markbach:
[B]http://sandiego.markbach.com/pictures.php

I've got 99 pictures up, and I've started to write out descriptions/captions of each. If you'd like to help, you can email me your captions to mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

The pictures are great! I'll send along a couple of captions as I'm still remembering who's who's in most cases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.