FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   YVR Do September 14-16, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1901233-yvr-do-september-14-16-2018-a.html)

nomadic.relief Mar 29, 18 2:00 am

YVR Do September 14-16, 2018

So this is both an overdue and poorly timed announcement for a YVR Do this fall. *Note: For those of you who may have wandered over from the AC forum, this is NOT a Dorian Do - no swag! For the rest, disregard and proceed as normal.

Current plans include craft beer, walking tours Sat/Sun through Gastown/Chinatown/Granville Island, a group dinner on the Saturday night and possible assistance organizing one or two "flight-seeing" tours on float planes if enough interest on Sat/Sun.

More details to follow, it just may take a little while as a) I am about to head off to a Do myself right now and b) my laptop officially bit the dust a couple hours ago and I really hate typing things out on a screen. Once more organized I'll get a wiki up and running. I just wanted people to have the opportunity to sort hotels. Snagging a flight is easy, but the hotels are ridiculously expensive in September.

Look forward to seeing you there!!

NewbieRunner Mar 29, 18 2:22 am

Yay! I can now start to organise flights and accommodation!!! ^ :)

polkacat Mar 29, 18 4:52 am

Woohoo! I am in!

GrjApp Mar 29, 18 4:47 pm

Iím in. The grapevine mentioned this DO to me a while back and I secured some placeholder awards at IHG before their devaluation. Never been to YVR (gasp!) so l so definitely am planning to attend.

nomadic.relief Mar 29, 18 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 29582195)
Iím in. The grapevine mentioned this DO to me a while back and I secured some placeholder awards at IHG before their devaluation. Never been to YVR (gasp!) so l so definitely am planning to attend.

Ooooh that pesky grapevine. Gonna hafta have words with it. ;)

angra Mar 29, 18 5:54 pm

I'm in!

CDKing Mar 29, 18 8:45 pm

I'm not 100% confirmed but burned some avios that have been sitting in my pocket for the last 2 years. Not the best use but with the rumored deval coming i need to spend some. So scheduled arriving tentatively just before 1am on the 14th

Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 29582195)

I'm curious which one,is 40K points a night considered alot? I have IHG to burn as well. been sitting on 126K points for too long

beckoa Mar 30, 18 8:34 am

Seems I have a flight home secured this weekend. If I am able to go, this will be my first visit to Canada :eek:

Excited by Chinatown ^

jrl767 Mar 31, 18 11:32 am

^ this is definitely a possibility; it’s a reasonably easy drive from Seattle, and I suspect dog-friendly hotels aren’t too hard to come by

CMK10 Apr 1, 18 12:34 pm

I'm a maybe. As of now flights are a little pricier than I'd like but as this sounds like fun, I'm going to keep an eye on things.

nomadic.relief Apr 2, 18 12:51 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 29587679)
^ this is definitely a possibility; itís a reasonably easy drive from Seattle, and I suspect dog-friendly hotels arenít too hard to come by

You are definitely right on that! Fairmont Vancouver even has Ambassador Dogs you can borrow if you leave yours at home! :)

rxgeek Apr 2, 18 4:04 pm

rxgeek+1 are a maybe. Last visit to Vancouver didn't go do well. Need expert tour guides, maybe?

TravelKane Apr 3, 18 9:18 pm

Can you suggest some core hotels/area that we should be looking at?

TravelKane Apr 3, 18 9:46 pm

OK
Count me in as an absolute definite maybe.
Placeholder hotel booked - Hilton Metrotown.
This will actually be a first visit to Canada :eek:

pudgym29 Apr 5, 18 6:26 pm

Oh my goodness. I haven't been to Vancouver since August 1989. I could really jump on this to get there again. I'll put out a bot to see about cheap airfares.
If I am not mistaken [IINM], Metrotown is a bit out east from the city center. But it is on a trolley bus line, as well as a short distance from light rail.

mahasamatman Apr 5, 18 10:46 pm

A Do at the airport? It would be much nicer downtown.

Alas, we'll be boarding a cruise that weekend, so won't be able to make it.

Originally Posted by pudgym29 (Post 29607874)
If I am not mistaken [IINM], Metrotown is a bit out east from the city center. But it is on a trolley bus line, as well as a short distance from light rail.

Metrotown is in Burnaby. I don't know of any trolley buses in the area, but it's right on the Skytrain Expo Line, about 20 minutes from Waterfront.

nomadic.relief Apr 6, 18 2:54 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 29608528)
A Do at the airport? It would be much nicer downtown.

It won't be at the airport - it's over 3 days!! :p First post covers some of the provisional plans. To be fair "YVR" is in the title, but for many of us, that uncompasses a larger region than specifically an airport. ;)

Sorry you won't make it! Would have been fun to put a face to the online persona!

And yes, Metrotown is a good 20 min metro ride to downtown.

As for other hotels, Sheraton Wall Centre, Hyatt Regency, Hilton DoubleTree, Delta Suites (Marriott), and any of the Fairmont propeties are reasonably centrally situated. There are also Choice Hotels, Ramadas, Best Westerns, (which I recommend with the caveat that they are cheaper and as such can get ... uhhh ... a bit louder in the entertainment district), and a bunch of non-branded options. Do NOT stay in a hostel. Not unless you also want a crash course in naloxone use.

krazykanuck Apr 6, 18 3:54 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29608949)
Do NOT stay in a hostel. Not unless you also want a crash course in naloxone use.

What if we like living on the edge? I'll bring the Strong Zero! :D

nomadic.relief Apr 6, 18 9:16 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 29609039)

I prefer your previous suggested use for that particular beverage. As a Canadian, I do not support harming others on our soil ... ;)

kirkwoodj Apr 6, 18 9:30 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29609900)
I prefer your previous suggested use for that particular beverage. As a Canadian, I do not support harming others on our soil ... ;)

What was the other suggested use?

aviationp Apr 12, 18 10:06 pm

I'm in!

beckoa Apr 12, 18 10:37 pm

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...73102936ec.jpg

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 29609039)

NewbieRunner Apr 18, 18 6:29 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29608949)
As for other hotels, Sheraton Wall Centre, Hyatt Regency, Hilton DoubleTree, Delta Suites (Marriott), and any of the Fairmont propeties are reasonably centrally situated.

I cannot find any DoubleTree but there is a Hampton Inn in Robson Street. Could it be the Hilton property you are referring to?

nomadic.relief Apr 18, 18 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 29655211)
I cannot find any DoubleTree but there is a Hampton Inn in Robson Street. Could it be the Hilton property you are referring to?

Upon reflection, you are correct. Oops.

monitor Apr 20, 18 11:30 am

We are likely for this one. As many times as we have been up there and as much Chinese food as we have consumed there :D, frantic has never been on a float plane out of Vancouver Harbor and I have been telling her about it for years. If that is on the schedule for this DO, we are definitely probable.

beckoa Apr 20, 18 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 29664674)
We are likely for this one. As many times as we have been up there and as much Chinese food as we have consumed there :D, frantic has never been on a float plane out of Vancouver Harbor and I have been telling her about it for years. If that is on the schedule for this DO, we are definitely probable.

...only if the float plane turns around for me when I come running for it with my chow fun takeaway :o

CDKing Apr 20, 18 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 29665632)
...only if the float plane turns around for me when I come running for it with my chow fun takeaway :o

Its not a FT DO without some kind of excitement :p

nomadic.relief Apr 21, 18 12:08 am

Oh beckoa, I have just the place for you - we might not have much in the way of food on sticks (well, there is always Chinatown ...), but there is Japadog. Yes, a hotdog stand, but Japanese infused in a Vancouver-only way! Oh and did I mention the city-centre, underground Costco?? :D

And yes, monitor and frantic, I have recieved enough interest in a harbour flight that there will certainly be one organized. Most likely more than just one (Sat/ Sun) due to capacity restrictions. I will post a poll this summer, then firm things up with the contending operators.

Mildly terrified by all the interest, but super excited to showcase a fraction of this amazing place I live in! :D

monitor Apr 21, 18 10:52 am

An underground Costco????? Do you realize that you just cost beckoa an extra vacation day?? :D :D :D

ETA that I have booked a placeholder reservation at the Sheraton Wall Center in 9/13 out 9/17.

nomadic.relief Apr 25, 18 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by monitor (Post 29667770)
An underground Costco????? Do you realize that you just cost beckoa an extra vacation day?? :D :D :D

ETA that I have booked a placeholder reservation at the Sheraton Wall Center in 9/13 out 9/17.

;)

That's where I'll be - more convenient than the SkyTrain back home, esp with my tendancy to forget to get off at the correct stop after mini-do's. :D Head's up, the breakfast offerings at the Lounge might be a touch sparse vs some lounges (no hot dishes), but the view is stunning!

Smiley90 Apr 25, 18 10:48 pm

very tempting given that I already live here anyway....

CMK10 Apr 30, 18 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 29684709)
very tempting given that I already live here anyway....

Cool how many of us can stay at your house?

Smiley90 Apr 30, 18 11:03 am

Originally Posted by CMK10 (Post 29698265)
Cool how many of us can stay at your house?

You mean how many can stay at my small studio? This is Vancouver we're talking about and I'm not a millionaire.

​​

CMK10 Apr 30, 18 12:31 pm

Incidentally I booked flights so you can move me to Confirmed. Late evening arrival Friday (11 PM), afternoon departure Sunday (4 PM). Staying at the Westin downtown.

Viridianne May 1, 18 3:42 am

I am putting in my interest :)

srletend May 12, 18 8:13 pm

Expressing interest. Hope I can make it!

pudgym29 May 21, 18 10:52 pm

Advanced searching.

My bot is out here on the Internet looking for a cheap airfare from ORD-YVR. The cheap(er) days seem to be Wednesday, 12 Sep. - to Monday, 17 Sep.
Flights connecting in SEA are also on the dias. But I ponder how much time it would take to go through U.S. Customs in SEA returning from YVR.
Put me on the 'interested' roster.

monitor May 22, 18 8:48 am

Originally Posted by pudgym29 (Post 29780171)
...But I ponder how much time it would take to go through U.S. Customs in SEA returning from YVR....

Stop pondering. CBP will take zero time at SEA since you will be pre-cleared at YVR.

polkacat May 26, 18 5:56 am

Airfare purchased, arrive Friday morning and depart Monday morning.

f0zzyNUE Jun 3, 18 12:15 am

I still have to figure out some things - but for a start I have booked a oneway business class ticket from NUE to YVR for Friday Sep 14 and three award nights at the holiday inn city centre.