FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   YVR Do September 14-16, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1901233-yvr-do-september-14-16-2018-a.html)

CDKing Aug 14, 2018 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 30083120)
You mean CX F?

Yep, just corrected above. Thanks for the heads up.

DrunkCargo Aug 16, 2018 6:23 pm

In. Confirmed.

canopus27 Aug 16, 2018 6:47 pm

YVR? Add me as a probable.

nomadic.relief Aug 16, 2018 11:09 pm

Okay, so I know I've been terribly delinquent in posting, but here is the Eventbrite link for YVR Do signup (also to be added to the wiki shortly). Please sign up for walking tours/dinners so I have proper numbers to give venues, there may be some wiggle room for people who try signing up after all "tickets" are gone, but not much. For the flights I have had to go with Eventbrite pre-payment as I have to reserve the flights in advance with names, which unfortunately bumped the price up to $188 CDN with their fees. If something has to be changed after booking, please notify me by PM ASAP and I'll see what I can sort out.

Friday night dinner: Craft Beer Market - a place with 100+ beers on tap. I did promise beer.
Saturday night dinner: Yaletown Brewing Company (menu) - okay, more beer wasn't supposed to be the plan, but the food is good, and most importantly they'll allow a group of just over 30 to order directly from the menu, rather than forcing a set menu or "family style dining" ... I had no idea how difficult it would be to avoid that with semi-large groups in Vancouver!!

I'll go update the map next.

jrl767 Aug 16, 2018 11:27 pm

two thumbs up for nomadic.relief — the menus look **GREAT** !!

I also noted an eponymous Distillery adjacent to the Brewing Company ...

nomadic.relief Aug 16, 2018 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30092496)
two thumbs up for nomadic.relief — the menus look **GREAT** !!

I also noted an eponymous Distillery adjacent to the Brewing Company ...

I like to keep options open for those with different tastes. ;)

jrl767 Aug 16, 2018 11:36 pm

and there is absolutely nothing that says we can’t (or, more likely, won’t) do both :D

ANC RED-EYE Aug 17, 2018 12:40 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30092475)
Okay, so I know I've been terribly delinquent in posting, but here is the Eventbrite link for YVR Do signup (also to be added to the wiki shortly). Please sign up for walking tours/dinners so I have proper numbers to give venues, there may be some wiggle room for people who try signing up after all "tickets" are gone, but not much. For the flights I have had to go with Eventbrite pre-payment as I have to reserve the flights in advance with names, which unfortunately bumped the price up to $188 CDN with their fees. If something has to be changed after booking, please notify me by PM ASAP and I'll see what I can sort out.

Friday night dinner: Craft Beer Market - a place with 100+ beers on tap. I did promise beer.
Saturday night dinner: Yaletown Brewing Company (menu) - okay, more beer wasn't supposed to be the plan, but the food is good, and most importantly they'll allow a group of just over 30 to order directly from the menu, rather than forcing a set menu or "family style dining" ... I had no idea how difficult it would be to avoid that with semi-large groups in Vancouver!!

I'll go update the map next.

Thanks! Looks great! Will there be costs associated with the walking tours?

NewbieRunner Aug 17, 2018 2:33 am

Thanks, nomadic.relief, for putting together a great programme. I’ve registered!

Majuki Aug 17, 2018 5:11 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30092475)
Okay, so I know I've been terribly delinquent in posting, but here is the Eventbrite link for YVR Do signup.

I signed up for the Saturday and Sunday morning activities.

greendx Aug 17, 2018 8:24 am

I'm in. Flights booked, staying at the Park Inn.

Bohemian1 Aug 17, 2018 11:46 am

Signed up for Saturday dinner.

Still up for pre-Friday dinner beverages (any time past 3:00) if anyone is around.

Altaflyer Aug 17, 2018 12:20 pm

I’m in!

Just noticed this and happen to be in Vancouver already so a no brainer :) Arrive Friday morning in Vancouver.....

jrl767 Aug 17, 2018 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30094406)
Signed up for Saturday dinner.

Still up for pre-Friday dinner beverages (any time past 3:00) if anyone is around.

well ... the dinner venue website says they have $5 local drafts (and house wines, and highballs) during Happy Hour 1500-1800 ;)

Bohemian1 Aug 17, 2018 2:11 pm

That could work.

I like to be happy on Fridays!

jrl767 Aug 17, 2018 2:43 pm

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...485eb21b5f.jpg

google maps shows about half a dozen other beer venues (brewpubs etc) within a few blocks :D

Smiley90 Aug 17, 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30095027)
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...485eb21b5f.jpg

google maps shows about half a dozen other beer venues (brewpubs etc) within a few blocks :D

Welcome to Vancouver haha. There's even more than the map shows... There's also e.g. Tap&Barrel literally right next to Craft.

The best of these is Brassneck though, fyi.

BOB W Aug 17, 2018 5:20 pm

Signed up for everything. Hope the smoke clears by then.

Bohemian1 Aug 17, 2018 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 30095453)
Signed up for everything. Hope the smoke clears by then.

Way less of an issue today.

You can keep on eye on the smoke situation on this site.

polkacat Aug 18, 2018 10:34 am

Signed up with my +1 for dinners and walking tours. We're going to pass on the flightseeing after all.

Smiley90 Aug 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30095529)
Way less of an issue today.

You can keep on eye on the smoke situation on this site.

Crazy smoke day today. You can literally look straight at the sun and it's a big bloody ball in the air. Made the day super gloomy.

Bohemian1 Aug 18, 2018 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 30099014)
Crazy smoke day today. You can literally look straight at the sun and it's a big bloody ball in the air. Made the day super gloomy.

With orange shadows that I found somewhat disconcerting. But could be totally fine for the 'Do'.

If not, we'll just have to drown our sorrows over tales of misconnects and lounge dragons.

nomadic.relief Aug 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE (Post 30092635)
Thanks! Looks great! Will there be costs associated with the walking tours?

Thanks! I knew I was missing something! The walking tours will be between $15-25 each depending on how many people sign up. I will post firm numbers at the end of the registration period, so around Sept 11th or 12th. They will payable in cash (I will be collecting as I see people).

nomadic.relief Aug 19, 2018 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30099044)
With orange shadows that I found somewhat disconcerting. But could be totally fine for the 'Do'.

If not, we'll just have to drown our sorrows over tales of misconnects and lounge dragons.

While I would love to guarantee good, clear weather, right now I'm just working on a hope and a prayer. I will be calling Harbour Air on Monday or Tuesday to find out if cancellation is possible if the air doesn't clear, in which case, refunds will definitely occur in some format regardless of the EventBrite signup. Trying to remember how long last year's smoke lasted ... definitely not a fan of this - two consecutive summers half ruined by smoke. Never mind the devastation of the fires. :/

jrl767 Aug 20, 2018 9:01 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30102191)
While I would love to guarantee good, clear weather, right now I'm just working on a hope and a prayer. ... definitely not a fan of this - two consecutive summers half ruined by smoke. Never mind the devastation of the fires. :/

I never thought I'd say that mid-August weather in the other Washington is preferable to that in the REAL Washington, but I'm not complaining about having to be in the DCA area for the next few days

ok, back on topic ... my wife reminded me that Sun afternoon/evening border crossings are NOT fun, so we have decided to stay Sun night as well (35k points, but it beats $C350) and drive home to Seattle on Mon

Bohemian1 Aug 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30102191)
Trying to remember how long last year's smoke lasted ... definitely not a fan of this - two consecutive summers half ruined by smoke. Never mind the devastation of the fires. :/

I seem to recall it being mostly gone by early September last year.

Smiley90 Aug 20, 2018 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30107381)
I seem to recall it being mostly gone by early September last year.

I hope so, because as someone with Asthma, it's legitimately difficult to breathe outside at the moment. Forecast says improvement towards the end of the week at least. Let's hope we're done with this soon and get rain.

Bohemian1 Aug 20, 2018 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 30107621)
I hope so, because as someone with Asthma, it's legitimately difficult to breathe outside at the moment. Forecast says improvement towards the end of the week at least. Let's hope we're done with this soon and get rain.

I have asthma too and I live there! It's supposed to better by Wednesday but it comes and goes depending on the prevailing winds. But normally the breeze does a good job of clearing things out.

Based on local reports, I'm kinda glad I'm not there right now, although I am flying back into Winter tomorrow. But at this point, I'd rather freeze my butt off for a couple of days than suck on smoke.

Smiley90 Aug 20, 2018 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30108134)
I have asthma too and I live there! It's supposed to better by Wednesday but it comes and goes depending on the prevailing winds. But normally the breeze does a good job of clearing things out.

Based on local reports, I'm kinda glad I'm not there right now, although I am flying back into Winter tomorrow. But at this point, I'd rather freeze my butt off for a couple of days than suck on smoke.

I live here too, what I wrote was my local report haha.

Bohemian1 Aug 20, 2018 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 30108155)
I live here too, what I wrote was my local report haha.

Sorry, saw the ZRH reference and made an assumption. I bet the air is clear there though.

King Chung Huang Aug 21, 2018 9:23 pm

I'm thinking of flying over from Calgary. But, hotels sure are expensive that weekend! Is there a big event going on (besides the Do)?

Smiley90 Aug 21, 2018 9:39 pm

Seven different conferences, apparently. Summer here is always conference season.

jrl767 Aug 22, 2018 5:36 am

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang (Post 30113426)
... hotels sure are expensive that weekend! Is there a big event going on (besides the Do)?

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 30113467)
Seven different conferences, apparently. Summer here is always conference season.

which explains this :/

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30105163)
... decided to stay Sun night as well (35k points, but it beats $C350) and drive home to Seattle on Mon

original booking for Sat & Sun was $C199

canadiancow Aug 26, 2018 7:49 am

Holy crap the hotels...
Hampton Inn & Suites is 500/night. Might as well book a Fairmont Gold room for that price.

Those $25 hostels are starting to appeal to me.

And here I thought I was 100% going to move to the confirmed list :p

nomadic.relief Aug 26, 2018 8:54 am

The prices have been absolutely stupefying - $450 for the Best Western. EXCUSE ME?! And that's not just that weekend, seems to be the norm for a summer weekend.

canadiancow Aug 26, 2018 10:57 am

Okay I found a couch to sleep on. Moving myself up to confirmed. I'll be on AC 569 on the Friday, scheduled arrival 1912. So I'll be a bit late for dinner, but I should still make it.

DrunkCargo Aug 26, 2018 11:48 am

And I didn't realize tickets were required... I'll grab 2 spots for the Friday night if they become available, otherwise I guess just the Saturday official one for me+1.

margarita girl Aug 27, 2018 3:59 am

I just booked flights so will be there! Staying near the airport as it was the only thing within my budget. :)

have not not been to YVR in years so looking forward to this.

jackal Aug 30, 2018 1:37 am

Travel arrangements to arrive have been set for awhile. Finally made travel arrangements to depart. ;) I'll stick around until the Amtrak Thruway bus from Pacific Central station leaving at 4pm. Also fixed myself in the wiki...

pudgym29 Aug 31, 2018 8:50 pm

Finish the puzzle.

Despite our fearless leader's earlier post, I have sucked it up and booked myself into the Hostelling Intl. Vancouver Downtown Hostel @ 1114 Burnaby St. Its cost is acceptable. It is (obviously) downtown. So it will not demand a 40-minute SkyTrain ride [v. hotels in Burnaby]. I've stayed at hostels in trendy neighborhoods before; the last time being in Old(e) City, Philadelphia, PA. [U.S.A.] when covering the Craft Brewers Conference back in 2016.
I may have mentioned it somewhere here on FlyerTalk: I am a life member of HI-AYH. It has not mattered on my jaunts to Japan, but it will give me an advantage here and now.
I missed the allotment for the Friday night drinks (drat). I am sure I'll find another craftbeer venue to hit in its stead.
I am keen to see what will occur during this weekend. It should be fun. :cool: