FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   YVR Do September 14-16, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1901233-yvr-do-september-14-16-2018-a.html)

nomadic.relief Jul 16, 18 1:49 am

Bear with me, I have attempted to be "techish" ... please let me know if the map link in the wiki is a horrible failure! At this point I have only included the known hotels, location of float plane docks, and Waterfront Station (it will likely be the meeting point for the walks), but I intend to update it as more is finalized. Currently there will be a Gastown/Chinatown walking tour from ~10am-12pm on Saturday, the float plane tour for those interested on Saturday afternoon (time TBA), the official dinner Saturday evening (location/time to be confirmed in next couple days, but it will be gastropub/beer bar), and a walking tour of Downtown/Waterfront areas on Sunday ~10am-12pm. And yes, I will be adding microbrewery clusters to the map later! :P

For other activities, should people be so inclined, or have more time, you can easily rent bikes and tour the seawall around Stanley Park (a mostly flat 10km, plus whatever from your starting point); there is a free shuttle up to Capilano Suspension Bridge (shows off our massive trees) and Grouse Mountain Gondola (stunning views of Vancouver + Vancouver Island) - very tempted to take a group of you up there either Friday or Sunday, should there be enough interest; Granville Island markets; there is Queen Elizabeth Park or Vandusen Gardens for the botanically inclined; and if you really don't like beer, you can ditch us for a Vancouver Whitecaps-Seattle Sounders soccer match.

I have removed the list of interested float plane participants in the wiki and will be posting an Eventbrite link in its place in the next few days, once the Saturday evening dinner is finalized.

Nice to see a new participant has snuck into the wiki - welcome Majuki! ;)

Could I also ask that people indicate in the wiki if they are around on Friday evening for pre-drinks/dinner? I need a better idea of numbers to

Zorak Jul 16, 18 1:56 am


Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29978244)
... the official dinner on Sunday (location/time to be confirmed in next couple days, but it will be gastropub/beer bar), ...
I have removed the list of interested float plane participants in the wiki and will be posting an Eventbrite link in its place in the next few days, once the Saturday evening dinner is finalized.

I'm guessing the first reference to Sunday dinner was a typo/thinko :)


Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29978244)
Could I also ask that people indicate in the wiki if they are around on Friday evening for pre-drinks/dinner? I need a better idea of numbers to

... or maybe I caught you in mid-edit :D

I'm arriving Thursday (planning on meeting up with local non--FT friends that evening) so will be around on Friday.

nomadic.relief Jul 16, 18 2:05 am


Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 29978259)
... or maybe I caught you in mid-edit :D

Nope, I even re-read it multiple times :rolleyes: - fixed! Thanks. :D

NewbieRunner Jul 16, 18 3:52 am


Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29978244)
For other activities, should people be so inclined, or have more time, you can easily rent bikes and tour the seawall around Stanley Park (a mostly flat 10km, plus whatever from your starting point); there is a free shuttle up to Capilano Suspension Bridge (shows off our massive trees) and Grouse Mountain Gondola (stunning views of Vancouver + Vancouver Island) - very tempted to take a group of you up there either Friday or Sunday, should there be enough interest

A bike ride sounds great although I probably covered most of the route on foot last time I was in Vancouver. I've also been to Capilano on a very wet day and don't mind going there again preferably in better weather, but Grouse Mountain Gondola sounds tempting.


Could I also ask that people indicate in the wiki if they are around on Friday evening for pre-drinks/dinner? I need a better idea of numbers to
As I'm arriving on Thursday I'll be around on Friday for any daytime activities and drinks/dinner. Also for any additional activities on Monday.

Majuki Jul 16, 18 6:08 am


Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29978244)
Nice to see a new participant has snuck into the wiki - welcome Majuki! ;)

I figured I’d stop by since I was in the area. :)

Bohemian1 Jul 16, 18 10:53 am

Securing space for Friday afternoon/evening drinks could be tricky, but I'm in. Fingers crossed on the weather.

nomadic.relief Jul 16, 18 12:05 pm


Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 29979599)
Securing space for Friday afternoon/evening drinks could be tricky, but I'm in. Fingers crossed on the weather.

Agreed, that's why I wanted a clearer idea on numbers.

GrjApp Jul 16, 18 12:39 pm

I arrive Thu evening, so up for Friday activities.

Bohemian1 Jul 16, 18 2:41 pm

From my lunchtime walk today, A preview of coming attractions:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...382388fa94.jpg

CXH HA Base

jrl767 Jul 16, 18 8:10 pm

we will be motoring up from SEA on Fri, leaving ~noon (I’ll most likely be flying WAS-SEA on Thurs evening)

polkacat Jul 17, 18 2:23 pm

I get in Friday morning so am up for some group functions that day.

ANC RED-EYE Jul 17, 18 7:38 pm


Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29978244)
Could I also ask that people indicate in the wiki if they are around on Friday evening for pre-drinks/dinner? I need a better idea of numbers to


Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 29978259)
I'm arriving Thursday (planning on meeting up with local non--FT friends that evening) so will be around on Friday.


Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 29978439)
As I'm arriving on Thursday I'll be around on Friday for any daytime activities and drinks/dinner.


Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 29979599)
Securing space for Friday afternoon/evening drinks could be tricky, but I'm in. Fingers crossed on the weather.


Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 29980034)
I arrive Thu evening, so up for Friday activities.


Originally Posted by polkacat (Post 29984480)
I get in Friday morning so am up for some group functions that day.

I took the liberty of updating the wiki with these responses above; hope that helps. I also am available and interested in meeting up Friday evening.


Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 29981402)
we will be motoring up from SEA on Fri, leaving ~noon (I’ll most likely be flying WAS-SEA on Thurs evening)

Wasn't totally clear if this meant joining for the Friday evening activities, so haven't added @jrl767 to the wiki list

jrl767 Jul 17, 18 8:00 pm


Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE (Post 29985399)
... Wasn't totally clear if this meant joining for the Friday evening activities, so haven't added @jrl767 to the wiki list

fixed it for you :D :cool:
(had added our ETA in “confirmed” section of the wiki, but always better to be redundant in cases like this)



TravelKane Jul 29, 18 1:34 pm

:mad: I hate when that happens - found a flight, got everything else worked out to fit the flight, then went back to check on the flight and it is gone!! :mad:

I'm still trying

pudgym29 Jul 31, 18 3:34 pm

Make that move.
 
Woo hoo! I tired of waiting for a price drop.
In an unorthodox manner (it was spread out over two days), I have booked non-stop flights to from YVR on two separate Star Alliance carriers [United and Air Canada].
My flight from ORD to YVR is Wednesday night, 12 September, on UA 563; arriving at 10:20 pm (PT). Yes, I realize this is not giving me much time to get from the airport to wherever I am staying Wednesday. Hotels are still in a complete flux. I'm staying at the HI hostel @ 1114 Burnaby St. (Downtown)
I will not leave Vancouver until Monday afternoon, 17 September, on AC 8040 {Jazz}; arriving at ORD at 7:27 pm (CT). Yes, this is probably my first time on a CRJ 900.
There are other things I want to do when in Vancouver, and the airfares were a little cheaper on Monday. This will be my first time in Vancouver since August 1989.
How much was it? I booked in Canadian dollars using my credit union Visa CC which doesn't charge a conversion fee. It is the same CC I use when in Japan. The AC fare was CDN$195. The UA fare was CDN$183.

boxo Jul 31, 18 5:05 pm

Yay, Alaska finally dropped SJC YVR fares. I am on AS SJC PDX YVR arriving Friday 11:05 am. No Sunday or Monday return scheduled as of yet, but an Amtrak-Alaska itinerary is probable. The Park Plaza is booked on C+P for 2 nights, but I will be continuing to check for other options.

jrl767 Jul 31, 18 5:28 pm


Originally Posted by boxo (Post 30033504)
Yay, Alaska finally dropped SJC YVR fares. I am on AS SJC PDX YVR arriving Friday 11:05 am. No Sunday or Monday return scheduled as of yet, but an Amtrak-Alaska itinerary is probable. The Park Plaza is booked on C+P for 2 nights, but I will be continuing to check for other options.

of course you could just stay in Vancouver for a few more days and get to Seattle a couple days earlier ...

boxo Jul 31, 18 5:36 pm


Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30033564)

of course you could just stay in Vancouver for a few more days and get to Seattle a couple days earlier ...

:) True true, if Seattle hotel rates weren't so abominably high... but I'd also be passing on the opportunity to do a SF/Monterey-LA Highway 1 road trip, which just reopened a couple weeks ago.

jrl767 Jul 31, 18 5:38 pm


Originally Posted by boxo (Post 30033578)
...opportunity to do a SF/Monterey-LA Highway 1 road trip, which just reopened a couple weeks ago.

‘nuff said ... :D

boxo Jul 31, 18 6:02 pm


Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30033584)

‘nuff said ... :D

To be honest though, the last time I did that drive with a friend ~15 years ago, I got horribly horribly carsick. So the jury's still out on whether or not I will do it. At the very least, I will spend a day or two in Monterey with a German friend who's never been to the Central Coast.

TravelKane Aug 2, 18 5:24 pm

I'm in! :D

Like I said, my CMN>YUL J Seat got taken. So I decided to turn right instead of left. Heading there via South Korea:)

FEZ-CMN>AUH>ICN>LAX>YVR

Will arrive Thurs 13th

TravelKane Aug 2, 18 5:27 pm

If anyone at the Holiday Inn or Hampton on rewards night is going to back out, let me know. I'd like to switch hotels.

Bohemian1 Aug 2, 18 6:08 pm


Originally Posted by TravelKane (Post 30041362)
I'm in! :D

Like I said, my CMN>YUL J Seat got taken. So I decided to turn right instead of left. Heading there via South Korea:)

FEZ-CMN>AUH>ICN>LAX>YVR

Will arrive Thurs 13th


Wow! That is quite the haul.

I'm travelling about 15km to get there and you're doing about 15,000 miles.

You win.

johnnywho Aug 2, 18 10:12 pm

I wish I could join you guys, but just as I expected there is lots of work in September which means I can't get away.
Have fun guys!

beckoa Aug 2, 18 11:24 pm

Still trying to get off of work- in Bloomington, IN currently sweating away but having fun.

I did reserve a hotel for two nights at least... that is changeable/refundable.

beckoa Aug 6, 18 8:32 pm


Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 30042116)
Still trying to get off of work- in Bloomington, IN currently sweating away but having fun.

I did reserve a hotel for two nights at least... that is changeable/refundable.

Inching closer... think this might work after all :cool:

boxo Aug 7, 18 12:38 am

FYI, here are the events going on in and around town over the weekend. Saturday has a 10k run and bike night which will both have street closures.

Music festival: https://www.tourismvancouver.com/eve...estival/17512/
Shakespeare festival: https://www.tourismvancouver.com/eve...estival/17551/
10k run: https://www.tourismvancouver.com/eve...ide-10k/17208/
Bike night: https://www.tourismvancouver.com/eve...e-night/16284/
Grouse Mountain run: https://www.tourismvancouver.com/eve...un-2018/18433/

Bohemian1 Aug 7, 18 11:22 am


Originally Posted by boxo (Post 30055882)
FYI, here are the events going on in and around town over the weekend. Saturday has a 10k run and bike night which will both have street closures.

Music festival: https://www.tourismvancouver.com/eve...estival/17512/
Shakespeare festival: https://www.tourismvancouver.com/eve...estival/17551/
10k run: https://www.tourismvancouver.com/eve...ide-10k/17208/
Bike night: https://www.tourismvancouver.com/eve...e-night/16284/
Grouse Mountain run: https://www.tourismvancouver.com/eve...un-2018/18433/


And the night market will still be up and running.

boxo Aug 7, 18 12:11 pm

The internet tells me the only night market near city centre is Chinatown which was cancelled for the 2018 season. Then there's Richmond near the airport or Shipyards in North Vancouver.

Bohemian1 Aug 7, 18 12:39 pm


Originally Posted by boxo (Post 30057877)
The internet tells me the only night market near city centre is Chinatown which was cancelled for the 2018 season. Then there's Richmond near the airport or Shipyards in North Vancouver.

Indeed it was the Richmond Night Market I was referring to. It's about a 7 minute walk from a Canada Line station.

Smiley90 Aug 7, 18 2:45 pm


Originally Posted by boxo (Post 30057877)
The internet tells me the only night market near city centre is Chinatown which was cancelled for the 2018 season. Then there's Richmond near the airport or Shipyards in North Vancouver.

Richmond Night Market is far more legit than the others and very accessible. It's what every local refers to when they say Night Market. Decent food and..... Uh... Socks, iPhone covers and Korean circle lenses if you're into that. Really, everyone just goes for the food.

pudgym29 Aug 12, 18 4:57 pm

Wait - what else?
 

Originally Posted by Smiley90 (Post 30058509)
Richmond Night Market is far more legit than the others and very accessible. It's what every local refers to when they say Night Market. Decen.t food and..... Uh... Socks, iPhone covers and Korean circle lenses if you're into that. Really, everyone just goes for the food.

The question I ask of Smiley90 is: No, not everyone. What else does that include? Japanese idol image DVDs? :-:
I could very well be interested in that.:;) (Yes, I still obtain physical media.)

nomadic.relief Aug 12, 18 10:29 pm

Hello all!
Just a quick update to let everyone know I haven't forgotten about things! I know I said I'd have an Eventbrite registration out ages ago, but I ran into a bit of a hiccup ... life, it just gets in the way some days. Should be good to go in by mid-week. I have 2 flights reserved for 2:30pm on Saturday (15th) - in an interesting twist, they will both be departing at the same time! (Not sure if that means wing-to-wing flying or opposite flight paths? Yes, I could have asked, but I like surprises.) Also the walking tours have been booked for 9:30/10am on Saturday and Sunday (2-ish hours each). If there are over 25 people we will likely have to split in 2 groups so everyone can hear what's going on (no microphones used), but I'll figure that out once the Eventbrite is up.

beckoa Aug 13, 18 9:49 pm


Originally Posted by pudgym29 (Post 30075229)
The question I ask of Smiley90 is: No, not everyone. What else does that include? Japanese idol image DVDs? :-:
I could very well be interested in that.:;) (Yes, I still obtain physical media.)

Hate to ask about.... Well nm :o

jrl767 Aug 13, 18 11:18 pm


Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30075898)
... I have 2 flights reserved for 2:30pm on Saturday (15th) - in an interesting twist, they will both be departing at the same time! (Not sure if that means wing-to-wing flying or opposite flight paths? Yes, I could have asked, but I like surprises.) ...

having been at the Harbour Air terminal in Victoria this past Sunday afternoon while waiting to board our flight back to Seattle, they gave each of the two groups for the scenic flights a different colour boarding card to make sure people got on the right plane ... they called the groups by colour about 3-4 minutes apart; the planes taxied out one behind the other, and presumably took off in sequence

I seem to recall that there were two distinct tour routes, but I didn’t pay too much attention to which plane was assigned to which or the direction that each went after takeoff

Bohemian1 Aug 14, 18 11:39 am

Fingers crossed that the awful smoke we have here right now is gone or significantly reduced for the 'Do'.

I'd post pix, but let's just say there wouldn't be many sights to see today.

Smiley90 Aug 14, 18 11:54 am


Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30081976)
Fingers crossed that the awful smoke we have here right now if gone or significantly reduced for the 'Do'.

I'd post pix, but let's just say there wouldn't be many sights to see today.

No kidding. Memories of last year...

Bohemian1 Aug 14, 18 12:01 pm

Having said that, I can still hear HA planes taking off in Coal Harbour (my office is three blocks away), so I guess there's enough viz to fly VFR.

@nomadic.relief seems pretty organized to me - maybe she already has the appropriate weather reserved for the 'Do'. ;)

CDKing Aug 14, 18 4:35 pm

I'm out now, family event that same weekend. I just cancelled my flight. If anyone wants it CX F JFK-YVR Thursday September 13th has gone back into availability

Smiley90 Aug 14, 18 4:36 pm


Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 30083116)
I'm out now, family event that same weekend. I just cancelled my flight. If anyone wants it BA F JFK-YVR Thursday September 13th has gone back into availability

You mean CX F?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:26 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.