FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   YVR Do September 14-16, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1901233-yvr-do-september-14-16-2018-a.html)

pudgym29 Sep 13, 18 9:19 pm

All things considered.

Our fearless leader's imprimatur to not stay at a hostel was partially correct.
If you (and somebody did) wind up at the hostel on Granville Ave., ooof. That venue is surrounded by happening nightspots.
But that is not the case if you booked into the hostel on Burnaby St. It is really quiet. The drugstore where you can buy a Passport 1-day open ticket {to use Japanese parlance ;)} is open 24/7, two blocks away (on Davie St), and you will get to ride a lot of trolley buses, including an articulated trolley bus. :D
The exchange rate at the bank on W Pender St was astonishingly high! I got CDN$1.29 = $1! So, yes, I have Canadian currency for things like morning walks, and Japanese idol DVD purchases at the Richmond Night Market©®™ {It's very keen to sue anybody.}

beckoa Sep 13, 18 11:11 pm

Sorry to hear about those last minute cancellations.

But I do understand the wx will be a bit moist.

Wish I could check some of this sun we've been experiencing in ANC. Currently I've SDC'd to AS110 tomorrow connecting to AS2266 for a 8:44 PM arrival. Might make it a bit late for a proper dinner- hope to find something edible outside the Sheraton Wall Centre- perhaps with noodles? Hmm.

Finkface Sep 13, 18 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 30201933)
Sorry to hear about those last minute cancellations.

But I do understand the wx will be a bit moist.

Wish I could check some of this sun we've been experiencing in ANC. Currently I've SDC'd to AS110 tomorrow connecting to AS2266 for a 8:44 PM arrival. Might make it a bit late for a proper dinner- hope to find something edible outside the Sheraton Wall Centre- perhaps with noodles? Hmm.

Are you in for the Saturday dinner at least?

jackal Sep 13, 18 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by pudgym29 (Post 30201707)
The exchange rate at the bank on W Pender St was astonishingly high! I got CDN$1.29 = $1!

:confused: Astonishingly high? The wholesale ATM rate is $1.30. Why not just withdraw from an ATM?

nomadic.relief Sep 14, 18 1:00 am

It has come to my attention I have not mentioned where the walks will start.
Saturday: Meet at 10:15am for a 10:30am departure by the Starbucks inside Waterfront Station (601 W Cordova Street)
Sunday: Meet at 10:15am for a 10:30am departure in the North Plaza of the Vancouver Art Gallery (850 W Georgia Street)
Walks will last about 2 hours and should end in the vicinity of food. :D

beckoa Sep 14, 18 4:03 am

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 30201956)
Are you in for the Saturday dinner at least?

Should be there ^

polkacat Sep 14, 18 7:35 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30202123)
It has come to my attention I have not mentioned where the walks will start.
Saturday: Meet at 10:15am for a 10:30am departure by the Starbucks inside Waterfront Station (601 W Cordova Street)
Sunday: Meet at 10:15am for a 10:30am departure in the North Plaza of the Vancouver Art Gallery (850 W Georgia Street)
Walks will last about 2 hours and should end in the vicinity of food. :D

Such civilized times to meet! :D

Bohemian1 Sep 14, 18 10:19 am

For anyone coming in this morning, the SkyTrain from YVR to downtown looks a little wonky and may require an extra train change.

Info is on the monitors in the stations, but the "rail issue" doesn't sound fatal.

Just didn't want people stressing out.

pudgym29 Sep 14, 18 12:46 pm

Cosmic

:D

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30092475)
{edit} Friday night dinner: Craft Beer Market - a place with 100+ beers on tap. I did promise beer.

Oh.
Here I am, still at the hostel, and Craft Beer Market was one of the venues I was contemplating going to right now. ;)
Hmmm. I'll pick a ramen restaurant for lunch, and then contemplate where to go for the late(r) afternoon.

Edit: I'm going to two ramen shacks very close to each other. Both come highly recommended:.
Then, I'll ride the #19 trolley bus to west 1st avenue and stroll over to the Craft Beer Market. I should do this correctly - I will hit the latter two venues in time for their happy hours. :D

Bohemian1 Sep 14, 18 1:30 pm

If you like the Craft Beer Market, you'll also like the Alibi Room (opens at 5:00) in Gastown. Flights of beer tasting anyone?

If you like cocktails, my fave is the Keefer (also opens at 5:00) in Chinatown. Craft cocktails meets microscopic dive bar.

Neither are not right by the Craft Beer Market, but you may stumble though those neighborhoods at some point.

boxo Sep 14, 18 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30201139)
That would certainly be the preferred option (in any one of the 3 currencies mentioned). Didn't want people paying more EventBrite fees!

I suppose if someone REALLY didn't want to have cash, a preloaded Visa/MC would also be okay.

Oops, when I hit Subscribed Threads link it did not take me to the last read. I didn't realize I'd missed 2 pages of posts.

Anywho, I rode the Skytrain YVR-Broadway and have checked into the Park Inn. See most of you at 6pm.

greendx Sep 14, 18 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by pudgym29 (Post 30204071)
:D Oh.
Here I am, still at the hostel, and Craft Beer Market was one of the venues I was contemplating going to right now. ;)
Hmmm. I'll pick a ramen restaurant for lunch, and then contemplate where to go for the late(r) afternoon.

Edit: I'm going to two ramen shacks very close to each other. Both come highly recommended:.
Then, I'll ride the #19 trolley bus to west 1st avenue and stroll over to the Craft Beer Market. I should do this correctly - I will hit the latter two venues in time for their happy hours. :D

I ate early lunch / late breakfast at Hokkaido Ramen Santouka on West Broadway near my hotel this morning, very good indeed.

beckoa Sep 14, 18 3:06 pm

Seems AS110 ANC-SEA is delayed due to mx.

​​Comments:

SCHEDULE ACTUAL DELAY/CANCEL ARRIVAL
CITY ARRV DEPT ARRV DEPT CODES GATE
ANC ORIG 125P
SEA 550P TERM

3ANC/ETD0135P 0.10L DUE MECHANICAL *1504
2SEA/ETA0549P PROJECTED *1540

beckoa Sep 14, 18 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 30204471)
Seems AS110 ANC-SEA is delayed due to mx.

Just boarding. Not sure we'll make our revised 2:05 PM takeoff...

DrunkCargo Sep 14, 18 3:58 pm

With all the cancels above, I might just crash+1 whatever y'all doing after 7pm. I'll just "stand" by if no seats. =)

Bohemian1 Sep 14, 18 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo (Post 30204615)
With all the cancels above, I might just crash+1 whatever y'all doing after 7pm. I'll just "stand" by if no seats. =)

May as well. Most places will accomodate last minute addons.

We booked a party of 6 and had 9 show up at Cardero's a few weeks back. A polite request and non-stop drink orders made the Manager very happy.

DrunkCargo Sep 14, 18 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 30204614)
Just boarding. Not sure we'll make our revised 2:05 PM takeoff...

Can they make a stop along the way to SEA? Could shave a good 2hrs off your journey. =)

beckoa Sep 14, 18 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo (Post 30204639)
Can they make a stop along the way to SEA? Could shave a good 2hrs off your journey. =)

I was hoping for an overbooking so I could switch. Or the delay to keep going further. Neither happened.

I'll waive overhead whilst everyone is enjoying dinner ;)

DrunkCargo Sep 14, 18 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 30204678)
I was hoping for an overbooking so I could switch. Or the delay to keep going further. Neither happened.

Time a lav flush... I always aimed to unload over the grand canyon YVR-PHX, back when US was *A. Kinda made me feel, accomplished?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...s-sunroof-and/

pudgym29 Sep 14, 18 6:06 pm

Contingency

Whether or not I got a spot for Friday night's dinner {I got one.}, I opted to visit Craft Beer Market anyhow.
I'm currently at the north curved end of the center bar. A keen-eyed person could see someone sitting promoting the "World Of Beer" of Evanston(!), IL. on a t-shirt, and / or a yellow rubber duck with a plug for Lufthansa thereupon. ;)
It is 'hoppy hour' ($5 .4L drafts) for another 54 minutes.

canadiancow Sep 14, 18 6:23 pm

I'm currently on AC 569 from SFO. Everything looks on time (or early), but it'll likely be 1945 at the earliest before I can get there.

jackal Sep 14, 18 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by DrunkCargo (Post 30204639)

There was an Air Canada ANC-YVR nonstop with saver space that would have worked and gotten him in earlier, but that would involve beckoa cheating on his beloved AS. ;)

Finkface Sep 14, 18 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 30204954)

There was an Air Canada ANC-YVR nonstop with saver space that would have worked and gotten him in earlier, but that would involve beckoa cheating on his beloved AS. ;)

Blasphemy! Friends don’t let friends fly AC.

NewbieRunner Sep 14, 18 6:50 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 30204678)

This is about as close as you are going to get. The time to jump is now!

jackal Sep 14, 18 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 30204985)

beckoa’s a decent swimmer. Or at least I assume so, given how much time he spends at beaches in Hawaii. ;)

nomadic.relief Sep 14, 18 7:37 pm

Upstairs on the right.

NewbieRunner Sep 14, 18 7:55 pm

2 Attachment(s)
Friday dinner for early arrivers @ Craft Beer Market. The place is huge!

Bohemian1 Sep 14, 18 7:58 pm

And you guys thought you might run out of beer...

Finkface Sep 14, 18 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30205121)
And you guys thought you might run out of beer...

The night is still young...

canadiancow Sep 14, 18 8:18 pm

I'm on the train, so give me another 20ish minutes, and I'll help finish a keg.

beckoa Sep 14, 18 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 30204985)

Awesome!

On AS2266 in 2D.

Door closed.

See everyone tomorrow! Or tonight :D

CMK10 Sep 14, 18 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30204936)
I'm currently on AC 569 from SFO. Everything looks on time (or early), but it'll likely be 1945 at the earliest before I can get there.

Looks like I'm following in the footsteps of giants, I'm at SFO right now waiting on UA 2239 to YVR which is expected to be on time.

jrl767 Sep 14, 18 9:30 pm

so there has been some informal conversation about a pre-dinner meetup (aka “sub-DO”?) at the Sheraton ~530pm on Sat ... all those interested please reply here (reasonably ASAP would be good)

Finkface Sep 14, 18 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30205299)
so there has been some informal conversation about a pre-dinner meetup (aka “sub-DO”?) at the Sheraton ~530pm on Sat ... all those interested please reply here (reasonably ASAP would be good)

I’m in for a Sub ‘Do if it is on. And I think you mean the Wall Centre* Lounge, correct? Where most people are staying?

* note the Canadian spelling, eh :D

beckoa Sep 14, 18 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30205299)

On the air train ^

​​​​​​Don't think I get access if anyone is up for guesting ;)

smilee Sep 14, 18 10:32 pm

I was too late to book the sold out Wall Center. I also would like an invite to the lounge if anyone is willing.

Finkface Sep 14, 18 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 30205386)
On the air train ^

​​​​​​Don't think I get access if anyone is up for guesting ;)

I can guest you in. (And it is the Skytrain :D)

Finkface Sep 14, 18 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by smilee (Post 30205404)
I was too late to book the sold out Wall Center. I also would like an invite to the lounge if anyone is willing.

Sold out? I just booked my room (on points) about 15 minutes ago.

smilee Sep 14, 18 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 30205440)
Sold out? I just booked my room about 15 minutes ago.

sorry, sold out on points :)

Edit- not sold out on points... weird, it displayed as not available when I looked earlier today... Must have done something wrong.

Majuki Sep 14, 18 11:03 pm

I'm at the C SEA Board Room dba Alaska Lounge, waiting on AS 2508. I'm hoping to make it on the last SkyTrain into town.