FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   YVR Do September 14-16, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1901233-yvr-do-september-14-16-2018-a.html)

boxo Sep 2, 2018 2:27 pm

Did I miss a post stating why Friday night's dinner is limited to a certain number? I'd rather have 3 tables of 10 (or whatever combo) in separate rooms than leave people out in the cold.

NewbieRunner Sep 2, 2018 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by boxo (Post 30159377)
Did I miss a post stating why Friday night's dinner is limited to a certain number? I'd rather have 3 tables of 10 (or whatever combo) in separate rooms than leave people out in the cold.

Having helped organise a few FT DOs I appreciate how tricky it is to decide the number of places to reserve for any meal. Post #124 did say ‘there may be some wiggle room for people who try signing up after all "tickets" are gone, but not much’. Since it looks like the whole of Vancouver is packed that weekend the restaurant/brewery may not be as flexible as we would like unfortunately. :(

nomadic.relief Sep 3, 2018 5:10 pm

Note: both the Friday and Saturday dinners are full now ...

@boxo I appreciate the concern about "leaving people out in the cold", it's not ideal, but no option really was.

The big problem was that all restaurants I contacted (aside from Yaletown) were requiring any group over 15-20 to order specifically from a catered menu offering about 3 choices for mains, which meant I would also have to take into account allergies/food restrictions/preferences - a much bigger undertaking than I wanted to consider! AND they wanted pre-payment.

To book 3 separate reservations in a place like Craft Beer Market (it's huge, can accommodate 500 people), they would need to be made by different people so we didn't trigger the "party >20 restriction" and we would likely not be seated remotely together, so it would be like we weren't even at the same restaurant. We can still look at making a separate booking if enough people want to.

Sorry, I did try for something better, but between minimum spends on one tab for the group and pre-set menus, this was the best I could do as a non-event planner! ;)

nomadic.relief Sep 3, 2018 6:03 pm

For Friday activities (for those in town already), there are a couple things I can help put together, but I am not sure where the majority interest lies:
- a trip up Grouse Mountain, can get to the base via transit or shuttle bus, costs $56 ($43US) includes a scenic round trip Skyride, Peak Chairlift, Lumberjack Shows, Birds in Motion Demonstrations, Ranger Talks at the Bear Habitat, and more.
- trip out to Museum of Anthropology out at UBC $16-18 (~$14US)- small but beautiful museum with large First Nations component on University campus
- *small group - max 10 reasonably - craft beer me-guided tour in East Van (yes I know, more beer for dinner, but it's likely to be quieter on a Friday afternoon than Sunday)
- rent bikes and ride around the Sea Wall (aka around Stanley Park) - long loop ~ 12 km **I have not ridden a bike in maybe a decade, but still would be willing to try ... it's flat and car-free.

jackal Sep 3, 2018 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30163463)
- *small group - max 10 reasonably - craft beer me-guided tour in East Van (yes I know, more beer for dinner, but it's likely to be quieter on a Friday afternoon than Sunday)

OMG, THIS. Sign me up as #1 .

The bike thing sounds kinda fun, but we should do beer first. Duh. ;)

polkacat Sep 4, 2018 10:14 am

For Friday activities (for those in town already), there are a couple things I can help put together, but I am not sure where the majority interest lies:
- a trip up Grouse Mountain, can get to the base via transit or shuttle bus, costs $56 ($43US) includes a scenic round trip Skyride, Peak Chairlift, Lumberjack Shows, Birds in Motion Demonstrations, Ranger Talks at the Bear Habitat, and more.
- trip out to Museum of Anthropology out at UBC $16-18 (~$14US)- small but beautiful museum with large First Nations component on University campus
- rent bikes and ride around the Sea Wall (aka around Stanley Park) - long loop ~ 12 km **I have not ridden a bike in maybe a decade, but still would be willing to try ... it's flat and car-free.

My +1 and I are fine with whatever others prefer. Love the beer and bike options for sure. :D I'm sure all are enjoyable though!

NewbieRunner Sep 4, 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 30163611)

Originally Posted by polkacat (Post 30166055)
My +1 and I are fine with whatever others prefer. Love the beer and bike options for sure. :D I'm sure all are enjoyable though!

The same here though I’m not sure about beer followed by bike. :p I’ll join whatever is the choice.

ANC RED-EYE Sep 4, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm interested in the craft beer tour option. I did bike around all of Stanley park last time I was in town, and it was great!

BOB W Sep 4, 2018 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by polkacat (Post 30166055)

So, for someone with complete ambivalence towards all things beer, I am beginning to feel a bit out of water. Is this Pepsi or Coke country?

canadiancow Sep 5, 2018 1:26 am

Can we do a beer tour Sunday afternoon as well? :D

jrl767 Sep 5, 2018 9:47 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30168903)

do you have a grudge against BOB W? :p

BOB W Sep 5, 2018 9:58 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30170207)
do you have a grudge against BOB W? :p

My concern is that with this crowd there will not be any beer 🍺 left by Sunday.

canadiancow Sep 5, 2018 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 30170244)

Yeah, nomadic.relief can't be left alone near an open tap.

That being said, I can't either.

beckoa Sep 6, 2018 10:36 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30172404)

:D

The darker the better ^

polkacat Sep 6, 2018 4:16 pm

Argh

Aren't I glad I checked EF to see how my upgrade chances look - I found out AA changed the flight from a 7 am departure to a 10:10am departure. :mad: Now getting in to YVR a little before 1 pm, so may or may not be able to join the bike brewery tour :p depending on time.

Finkface Sep 6, 2018 4:32 pm

So I have just now confirmed that I will be in town that weekend. But from what I am reading, I am too late to get in on anything? Well, other than biking around SP but considering I live here, I can pass on that. The Eventbrite doesn’t show any activities. Am I too late to meet you all? No way to get in on dinner?

jrl767 Sep 6, 2018 4:58 pm

I’ve participated in several Seattle/DC happy hours and organized several informal meetups, but beyond the SFO/LAX tag-ons to the VX Farewell Flight this past spring, YVR is my first official FT DO ... from the various AS and DL folks I’ve met who will be in attendance, I’m highly confident that they won’t hesitate to gin up (so to speak) other social activities ... some may be semi-choreographed (2 or 6 or 24 hours in advance); some may be totally impromptu; but I’d bet a boarding pass that any FTers will be welcome at any of the pop-up events

Finkface Sep 6, 2018 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30176069)
I’ve participated in several Seattle/DC happy hours and organized several informal meetups, but beyond the SFO/LAX tag-ons to the VX Farewell Flight this past spring, YVR is my first official FT DO ... from the various AS and DL folks I’ve met who will be in attendance, I’m highly confident that they won’t hesitate to gin up (so to speak) other social activities ... some may be semi-choreographed (2 or 6 or 24 hours in advance); some may be totally impromptu; but I’d bet a boarding pass that any FTers will be welcome at any of the pop-up events

Well you have my number so text me and I am there. Would still love to get in on the dinner, though.

And yes, my first legit DO as well. While I have met some FT-ers, yourself included, there are some names on this list that I would love to meet. Maybe I should host a deck party at my place? Weather permitting. Although I am quite out of the way to get to.

boxo Sep 6, 2018 10:00 pm

I would like to suggest everyone who wasn't able to officially register for dinner(s), start a roster in the wiki and from there hopefully a plan can be developed.

NewbieRunner Sep 7, 2018 2:33 am

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 30176086)
And yes, my first legit DO as well. While I have met some FT-ers, yourself included, there are some names on this list that I would love to meet. Maybe I should host a deck party at my place? Weather permitting. Although I am quite out of the way to get to.

Some people are arriving on Thursday and/or staying until after the weekend. (I’m arriving on Thursday and leaving on Tuesday.) We’d welcome the opportunity to get out and about whether or not (especially the latter for some :p) it involves beer. 🍻 I also suspect nomadic.relief might appreciate some respite before/during/after the DO if some locals can suggest alternative/additional activities.

Finkface Sep 7, 2018 12:10 pm

A FT-er emailed me last night about getting to the Capilano Suspension Bridge. If any of you are interested in going there, they have a free shuttle service from Canada Place and from some downtown hotels.

https://www.capbridge.com/visit/shuttle-service/
https://capbridge-capilanosuspensi.n...edule-2018.pdf

margarita girl Sep 7, 2018 7:01 pm

Would love to do the bike thing. Not a beer drinker, but maybe I can get a cooler or glass of wine or dare I say, a margarita? :D

nomadic.relief Sep 7, 2018 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 30163611)
OMG, THIS. Sign me up as #1 .

Thinking bike THEN beer is the safer option.

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 30168596)
So, for someone with complete ambivalence towards all things beer, I am beginning to feel a bit out of water. Is this Pepsi or Coke country?

Generally I think it's a pretty even split. Perhaps you can BYOB some finds from earlier in the week. ;)

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30168903)

But of course! And I believe I even read there was a food truck festival somewhere downtown. ;)

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 30170244)

:p

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30172404)

Heyyyyy :p I may have closed out a few bars in your presence, but I don't recall any running out of libations!

Originally Posted by polkacat (Post 30175930)
Aren't I glad I checked EF to see how my upgrade chances look - I found out AA changed the flight from a 7 am departure to a 10:10am departure. :mad: Now getting in to YVR a little before 1 pm, so may or may not be able to join the bike brewery tour :p depending on time.

WHAT?! That's a pretty big difference not to get an email a week out!!

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 30175985)
So I have just now confirmed that I will be in town that weekend. But from what I am reading, I am too late to get in on anything? Well, other than biking around SP but considering I live here, I can pass on that. The Eventbrite doesn’t show any activities. Am I too late to meet you all? No way to get in on dinner?

There are still the walking tours, which I've done as a local and learned new things about the city on, so you maybe you'd be interested that? There will definitely be groups breaking off for lunch together. Heck we can even try showing up at the same restaurant and present ourselves as smaller groups of 4-8 and see how it goes!! (After the Chinatown walking tour should be the best success for that, there are a couple places around that should be able fit a couple large groups.) For the dinners, I will call the restaurants Monday, but I am not hopeful based on the conversations I've had up until now.

Yup!

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30180573)
Would love to do the bike thing. Not a beer drinker, but maybe I can get a cooler or glass of wine or dare I say, a margarita? :D

I suspect we should be able to accommodate that in some places. ;)

nomadic.relief Sep 7, 2018 10:24 pm

Okay, so there are still some seats left on the sight seeing flights - I'd really appreciate any last minute takers signing up this weekend!

Finkface Sep 7, 2018 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30181004)
There are still the walking tours, which I've done as a local and learned new things about the city on, so you maybe you'd be interested that? There will definitely be groups breaking off for lunch together. Heck we can even try showing up at the same restaurant and present ourselves as smaller groups of 4-8 and see how it goes!! (After the Chinatown walking tour should be the best success for that, there are a couple places around that should be able fit a couple large groups.) For the dinners, I will call the restaurants Monday, but I am not hopeful based on the conversations I've had up until now.

Well if you can add one more to dinner, I am in! Or if you add in another lunch or dinner. Just let me know. I had back surgery recently so walking/biking isn’t really in the cards, I’m afraid as I am a bit on the limp. But eating, I can do. Would love to meet everyone.

jackal Sep 8, 2018 12:04 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30181004)
Thinking bike THEN beer is the safer option.

Where's the fun in that?! Also, beer is obviously the more important of the two, so I'd rather make sure we get that one taken care of and then if we run out of time, we can cut the bike ride short. :p :p :p

Bohemian1 Sep 8, 2018 5:34 pm

@nomadic.relief is correct, there is a food truck festival going on near False Creek on the Sunday of the 'Do'.

Here's the details: Vancouver Street Food Fest in 2018

beckoa Sep 9, 2018 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 30181144)
Where's the fun in that?! Also, beer is obviously the more important of the two, so I'd rather make sure we get that one taken care of and then if we run out of time, we can cut the bike ride short. :p :p :p

Granted I haven't been on a bike since High School, I might need the bike free version ;)

Still need to look into the plane tour... but just off the ground from PIT :D What a weekend ^​

beckoa Sep 9, 2018 6:09 pm

Hmm anything on a stick? :D

pudgym29 Sep 10, 2018 2:41 pm

Basics

I would be available for something beer-oriented on Friday afternoon and Sunday.

I need assistance on what could be overlooked, seeing that many people on FlyerTalk use their credit cards for everything. ;)
When I get to the Airport SkyTrain station on Wednesday night, I envision a machine vending transit tickets which wants cash; and Canadian cash at that. (No, I've now seen an image of the machine. It takes a credit card.)
I bet there are money exchangers in YVR, but if my experience in Tokyo is a lesson, those banks will be gougers. I will not exchange at Travelex under any circumstance. :td: So I'll exchange a minimum of U.S. Dollars for Canadian at YVR.
In Japan, I know to look for Daikokuya shops. What is the Vancouver equivalent? :confused:

Bohemian1 Sep 10, 2018 2:46 pm

We're pretty cashless up here.

And you can tap (if your Credit Card supports it) in and out on transit with your CC - no tickets required. Taxis take cards too. The exchange will be set by the bank issuing your card.

Oh, and if you want pretty, coloured, plastic cash use a) any bank's ATM or b) Vancouver Bullion & Currency Exchange (lowest rates in town)

angra Sep 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Is there anything that you can think of relevant to this event that would require cash?

Bohemian1 Sep 10, 2018 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by angra (Post 30189613)
Is there anything that you can think of relevant to this event that would require cash?

The inevitable late night poker game at the Sheraton Wall Centre?

monitor Sep 10, 2018 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30189826)
The inevitable late night poker game at the Sheraton Wall Centre?

The prospect of being in action somewhere, having a glass or two, and just walking down the hall to my room afterward is irresistible. Count me in.

Smiley90 Sep 10, 2018 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by angra (Post 30189613)

If the nightmarket is still on and someone wants to go, then I'm not sure they all accept cash.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30189486)

And you can tap (if your Credit Card supports it) in and out on transit with your CC - no tickets required. Taxis take cards too. The exchange will be set by the bank issuing your card.

Oh, and if you want pretty, coloured, plastic cash use a) any bank's ATM or b) Vancouver Bullion & Currency Exchange (lowest rates in town)

Otherwise I second this post. yeah, nearly all places accept cash. Hell, some will even take your USD cash straight up. Bullion Exchange is best if you don't have a bank account with a bank that operates here. (e.g. if you have a TD account, you can probably get your cash exchanged at the TD branches here. Or HSBC comes to mind.)

Altaflyer Sep 10, 2018 5:01 pm

Anyone with a Bank of America account can use Scotiabank ATMs for free as they are part of the Global ATM Alliance. But as has been stated - almost everyone accepts Visa/MC.....Amex not so much.

Bohemian1 Sep 10, 2018 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer (Post 30189896)
Anyone with a Bank of America account can use Scotiabank ATMs for free as they are part of the Global ATM Alliance. But as has been stated - almost everyone accepts Visa/MC.....Amex not so much.

Good point.

I forgot to mention that many/all small retailers here won't touch Amex - the transaction fees are really high.

jackal Sep 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30189486)

Interesting! I do enjoy forward-thinking transit agencies.

If it's implemented anything like (or hopefully better than) Chicago's Ventra system, phone NFC (i.e. Apple Pay, etc.) should work, too. That'd be good, since I think the only tappable credit cards I have with me charge forex...

Bohemian1 Sep 10, 2018 8:47 pm

Phone NFC (both Apple Pay and Google) works too for transit.

Altaflyer Sep 11, 2018 2:51 am

The transit system is not quite as smart as London’s or Portland’s so tap transactions will only cover single fares. If you want a day pass then you need to commit to that at the outset, it doesn’t automatically adjust your fares to max out at a daypass.