Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
Map for YVR Do - Hotels, Meet up points, etc
YVR Do Eventbrite signup

Availability for Friday evening for pre-drinks/dinner:
  1. Bohemian1 (I'm up for any pre-dinner drinks.)
  2. NewbieRunner (As I'm arriving on Thursday I'll be around on Friday for any daytime activities and drinks/dinner.)
  3. polkacat (I get in Friday around 12:45 pm so am up for some group functions that day.)
  4. ANC RED-EYE (arrive Thursday evening)
  5. jrl767 +1 (ETA ~1600)
  6. pudgym29 (Available for Friday daytime activities also.)
  7. boxo (arriving AS PDX YVR Friday 11:05 am)
  8. TravelKane (Arriving Thurs)
  9. angra (arriving Friday DL 1805 @ 1227)
  10. beckoa (AS2266 8:44 PM)
  11. DrunkCargo (should be around, but didn't register for tickets on time)
  12. greendx (arriving late Thursday night, may need to work from my hotel on Friday, if not will be available)
  13. Bob W (arriving Thursday)
  14. canadiancow (arriving AC 569 @ 1912)
  15. jackal (arriving Thursday)
  16. margarita girl (arriving AC103 @ 09:52)
  17. Altaflyer (arriving Flair 8135 @07:35am Fri)
  18. keitherson (i arrived Wednesday!! )

CONFIRMED for Do:
  1. nomadic.relief - Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
  2. NewbieRunner - Hampton Inn (Available for daytime activities and drinks/dinner on Friday)
  3. polkacat +1 - Holiday Inn & Suites Vancouver Downtown
  4. angra - currently GEC Granville Suites Downtown - Arriving early afternoon friday
  5. aviationp
  6. monitor - Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
  7. Frantic - Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
  8. BOB W- Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
  9. Bohemian1 - Commuting from the burbs (signed up for Saturday dinner)
  10. jrl767 +1 - Marriott Delta Suites; ETA Fri ~1600
  11. CMK10 - Westin Grand
  12. keitherson - i live here!!
  13. Zorak - Westin Grand
  14. ANC RED-EYE
  15. Majuki- Westin Grand (Saturday activities only)
  16. pudgym29 - Hostelling International - Vancouver Downtown
  17. boxo - Park Inn & Suites
  18. TravelKane - Hilton Vancouver Metrotown
  19. beckoa Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
  20. DrunkCargo (is home)
  21. greendx - Park Inn & Suites
  22. canadiancow - Couch surfing
  23. PhilElite
  24. jackal - Ramada Limited Vancouver Downtown
  25. margarita girl - Sheraton Vancouver Airport
  26. Altaflyer - HI Vancouver Central
  27. Finkface - Local, but may get a room after looking at this list

MAYBES:
  1. CDKing
  2. rxgeek +1
  3. Smiley90
  4. Viridianne
  5. srletend
  6. canopus27

NOT THIS TIME:
  • mahasamatman
  • kirkwoodj
  • King Chung Huang
  • f0zzyNUE
  • Zorak
  • GrjApp

Walk details: (from https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30202123-post245.html)
Saturday: Meet at 10:15am for a 10:30am departure by the Starbucks inside Waterfront Station (601 W Cordova Street)
Sunday: Meet at 10:15am for a 10:30am departure in the North Plaza of the Vancouver Art Gallery (850 W Georgia Street)
Walks will last about 2 hours and should end in the vicinity of food.
Print Wikipost

YVR Do September 14-16, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
Unfortunately I can't make it to YVR this weekend due to a work related issue that needs my commitment on Friday and maybe also during the weekend.
So my seat for both dinners is available.

I'm sad and sorry - especially as I was talking @nomadic.relief into organizing this DO on a regular base for quite some time ...
Oh no! So bummed we will not get to see you, and sorry that you have to work instead of playing in Vancouver.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
For the walking tours, they have been locked in now and are payable in cash. I accept the following currencies:

$33 CAD for both tours, $16.50 for one (gratuity incl)
$25/$12.50 US
€21.50/€10.75

There is still room for extra participants on these.
I assume when we see you will be fine. I can also send money via Interac transfer if preferable.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I assume when we see you will be fine. I can also send money via Interac transfer if preferable.
Yes, cash on first sighting will be just fine.
polkacat likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Indoor things to do: Art Gallery, Museum of Anthropology (although getting there might get a bit wet, not on a direct bus route), FlyOver Canada IMAX, Vancouver Police Museum (this is one I'd really like to do - never been, many Vancouverites don't even know about it), the majority of Granville Island is covered (food and craft markets), Museum of Vancouver.

I am thinking a bike ride is not in the cards.
I am very much a "go with the flow" traveler, and my main priority is to visit with new and old friends, but for the sake of spurring conversation, I am interested in any of those, in roughly this descending order of intensity

* Police Museum (enthusiasm is infectious)
* Anthropology Museum
* Tie: Art Gallery / Museum of V / Granville Island
* Imax
polkacat and nomadic.relief like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GrjApp
And sadly I need to cancel as well. Very disappointed, but life and all that. I'll second a motion for making this an annual event!
LOL well if I do this again, I may just have to post discounts for those who actually came!

Sorry you can't make it though. See you in a couple weeks!
jackal and GrjApp like this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Cool Base camp

I am in downtown Vancouver. Despite a warning, the HI Downtown hostel {v. the other one} is on an avenue that is really quiet. I arrived here @ 23:42 yesterday night.
UA 563 was overbooked by one seat! The announcement was made for somebody to yield their seat. UA could not get you to Vancouver that night if you accepted. So it offered one night's accomodation, a meal; it would put you on an Air Canada flight Thursday morning; and would give you $700 of UA script.
I considered taking this. But, then I would be somewhat restricted to flying on UA for the next year; it would not be enough (probably) to get me to Japan for Hokkai-Do #7; and I might lose all the nights on my hostel reservation if I did not appear there. [I would have contacted it to tell it I would not be there that night. I would be charged for that night.] There was also consideration of the weather. If YVR got socked by rain Thursday, it might have messed me up even further.
There is somebody here who I have known only from the World-Wide Web for probably fifteen years. I strive to meet him today. E-Mails, USPS letters, private messages left on fora where we both are registered have gone unanswered. The contemplation may involve ringing the doorbell at an address.
From here, I am heading for CAA on Davie St. for a paper map of Vancouver, and then the currency exchange on W. Pender St.
I hope I can connect to wi-fi somewhere during the afternoon to check on any responses from that person. Lunch will likely be ramen.
Wish me success.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:28 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Just boarded UA685 at SFO. Next stop YVR! See you all soon.

P.S. We are back at the gate to pick up a flight attendant to replace one who is sick in YVR for the return flight. Leaving the gate again 70 mins late.

P.P.S. How is weather in YVR? Almost 2 hours after the scheduled departure time we are back at the gate again. Due to weather conditions in YVR the flight might be cancelled! It was going to be a flight under 2 hours and I haven’t packed anything to keep me going and remember this is an Economy flight on United. At least the crew are very apologetic and they’ve distributed glasses of water. Let’s see how it goes.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Sep 13, 2018 at 1:43 pm
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:50 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

P.P.S. How is weather in YVR? Almost 2 hours after the scheduled departure time we are back at the gate again. Due to weather conditions in YVR the flight might be cancelled! It was going to be a flight under 2 hours and I haven’t packed anything to keep me going and remember this is an Economy flight on United. At least the crew are very apologetic and they’ve distributed glasses of water. Let’s see how it goes.

The weather ain't that bad. Currently 14, mostly cloudy but with no rain for next couple of hours. Happy landings!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
f0zzyNUE I am terribly sorry, but I don't believe the weather gods are on speaking terms with me at the moment. This is not what I ordered.
Yikes. YVR will be 14-16C and rainy on the weekend. YYZ will be 26C and sunny. Well that is rather unfortunate! Leaving the shorts at home, packing a raincoat and umbrella!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:27 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
The weather ain't that bad. Currently 14, mostly cloudy but with no rain for next couple of hours. Happy landings!
Adverse weather was probably misinformation. Cockpit crew was going to time out so they are waiting for a replacement captain and FO. Estimated departure in 20 mins. Keeping my fingers crossed.
polkacat likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Oh no, the weather forecast has changed since I last checked. Cooler and wetter than expected.
https://weather.com/weather/weekend/...+CAXX0518:1:CA
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
@nomadic.relief, will we need cash for walking tour payments?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boxo
@nomadic.relief, will we need cash for walking tour payments?
That would certainly be the preferred option (in any one of the 3 currencies mentioned). Didn't want people paying more EventBrite fees!

I suppose if someone REALLY didn't want to have cash, a preloaded Visa/MC would also be okay.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

**NOTE: Sorry folks, I had the time wrong on the EventBrite for Friday - it is at 6pm, not 7pm. I have sent everyone who signed up an email. Just posting here to cover bases.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I suspect all that may mean for some is the impetus to get an earlier start on happy hour
pudgym29 and Bohemian1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.