Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: canadiancow
Map for YVR Do - Hotels, Meet up points, etc
YVR Do Eventbrite signup

Availability for Friday evening for pre-drinks/dinner:
  1. Bohemian1 (I'm up for any pre-dinner drinks.)
  2. NewbieRunner (As I'm arriving on Thursday I'll be around on Friday for any daytime activities and drinks/dinner.)
  3. polkacat (I get in Friday around 12:45 pm so am up for some group functions that day.)
  4. ANC RED-EYE (arrive Thursday evening)
  5. jrl767 +1 (ETA ~1600)
  6. pudgym29 (Available for Friday daytime activities also.)
  7. boxo (arriving AS PDX YVR Friday 11:05 am)
  8. TravelKane (Arriving Thurs)
  9. angra (arriving Friday DL 1805 @ 1227)
  10. beckoa (AS2266 8:44 PM)
  11. DrunkCargo (should be around, but didn't register for tickets on time)
  12. greendx (arriving late Thursday night, may need to work from my hotel on Friday, if not will be available)
  13. Bob W (arriving Thursday)
  14. canadiancow (arriving AC 569 @ 1912)
  15. jackal (arriving Thursday)
  16. margarita girl (arriving AC103 @ 09:52)
  17. Altaflyer (arriving Flair 8135 @07:35am Fri)
  18. keitherson (i arrived Wednesday!! )

CONFIRMED for Do:
  1. nomadic.relief - Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
  2. NewbieRunner - Hampton Inn (Available for daytime activities and drinks/dinner on Friday)
  3. polkacat +1 - Holiday Inn & Suites Vancouver Downtown
  4. angra - currently GEC Granville Suites Downtown - Arriving early afternoon friday
  5. aviationp
  6. monitor - Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
  7. Frantic - Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
  8. BOB W- Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
  9. Bohemian1 - Commuting from the burbs (signed up for Saturday dinner)
  10. jrl767 +1 - Marriott Delta Suites; ETA Fri ~1600
  11. CMK10 - Westin Grand
  12. keitherson - i live here!!
  13. Zorak - Westin Grand
  14. ANC RED-EYE
  15. Majuki- Westin Grand (Saturday activities only)
  16. pudgym29 - Hostelling International - Vancouver Downtown
  17. boxo - Park Inn & Suites
  18. TravelKane - Hilton Vancouver Metrotown
  19. beckoa Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
  20. DrunkCargo (is home)
  21. greendx - Park Inn & Suites
  22. canadiancow - Couch surfing
  23. PhilElite
  24. jackal - Ramada Limited Vancouver Downtown
  25. margarita girl - Sheraton Vancouver Airport
  26. Altaflyer - HI Vancouver Central
  27. Finkface - Local, but may get a room after looking at this list

MAYBES:
  1. CDKing
  2. rxgeek +1
  3. Smiley90
  4. Viridianne
  5. srletend
  6. canopus27

NOT THIS TIME:
  • mahasamatman
  • kirkwoodj
  • King Chung Huang
  • f0zzyNUE
  • Zorak
  • GrjApp

Walk details: (from https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30202123-post245.html)
Saturday: Meet at 10:15am for a 10:30am departure by the Starbucks inside Waterfront Station (601 W Cordova Street)
Sunday: Meet at 10:15am for a 10:30am departure in the North Plaza of the Vancouver Art Gallery (850 W Georgia Street)
Walks will last about 2 hours and should end in the vicinity of food.
Print Wikipost

YVR Do September 14-16, 2018

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Anyone with a Bank of America account can use Scotiabank ATMs for free as they are part of the Global ATM Alliance. But as has been stated - almost everyone accepts Visa/MC.....Amex not so much.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:14 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Anyone with a Bank of America account can use Scotiabank ATMs for free as they are part of the Global ATM Alliance. But as has been stated - almost everyone accepts Visa/MC.....Amex not so much.

Good point.

I forgot to mention that many/all small retailers here won't touch Amex - the transaction fees are really high.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
We're pretty cashless up here.

And you can tap (if your Credit Card supports it) in and out on transit with your CC - no tickets required. Taxis take cards too. The exchange will be set by the bank issuing your card.

Oh, and if you want pretty, coloured, plastic cash use a) any bank's ATM or b) Vancouver Bullion & Currency Exchange (lowest rates in town)
Interesting! I do enjoy forward-thinking transit agencies.

If it's implemented anything like (or hopefully better than) Chicago's Ventra system, phone NFC (i.e. Apple Pay, etc.) should work, too. That'd be good, since I think the only tappable credit cards I have with me charge forex...
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:47 pm

Phone NFC (both Apple Pay and Google) works too for transit.
jackal and boxo like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The transit system is not quite as smart as London’s or Portland’s so tap transactions will only cover single fares. If you want a day pass then you need to commit to that at the outset, it doesn’t automatically adjust your fares to max out at a daypass.
boxo likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:13 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
After meandering around Europe during the last day and a half I’ve at last started travelling in the right direction!
polkacat, pudgym29, angra and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The transit system is not quite as smart as London’s or Portland’s so tap transactions will only cover single fares. If you want a day pass then you need to commit to that at the outset, it doesn’t automatically adjust your fares to max out at a daypass.
Not quite. Tap to pay allows transfers from bus or rail for 90 minutes. So you are not paying point to point fares, it is cumulative and the final charge will be calculated at the end of your trip as one fare. It will not, however, max out at a day pass rate.

With a single fare, you can transfer as many times as you need for up to 90 minutes.

There are three ways to purchase single fares:

Tap to Pay

You can tap a contactless Visa or Mastercard credit card or mobile wallet on card readers to pay an adult, cash fare. You don’t need to purchase additional fare when transferring from bus to rail.
Visit the Tap to Pay page for details.

Tap your contactless Visa or Mastercard credit card or mobile device (linked to a Visa or Mastercard credit card) on a card reader to start your journey. Tap your credit card or mobile device when transferring or exiting, with the exception of buses, which are tap in only.

Please note that only one card can be used per person and customers must carry their proof of payment (credit card) with them during their journey.

Paying with a credit card or mobile device allows you to transfer seamlessly across the system. You'll have 90 minutes to make your final transfer on bus, SkyTrain, and SeaBus, and 180 minutes on West Coast Express.

Final Charges
After you've completed your journey, the exact fare will be sent to your credit card company. If paying with a mobile device, you may see various notifications and pre-authorizations in your mobile app after each tap. These notifications are not your charges. To see your final charges, please refer to your credit card statement..

https://www.translink.ca/Fares-and-P...e-Pricing.aspx
nomadic.relief likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Interesting! I do enjoy forward-thinking transit agencies.

If it's implemented anything like (or hopefully better than) Chicago's Ventra system, phone NFC (i.e. Apple Pay, etc.) should work, too. That'd be good, since I think the only tappable credit cards I have with me charge forex...
Your Costco Visa should work ^
Old Sep 11, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
anyone have a recommendation for a prepaid data sim for the weekend? don't need voice, just data.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: Global Entry · WN, UA, AS, DL, NH; IHG, Wyndham, Hilton, Best Value Inn, Marriott, Starwood, Ramada
Arrow Tempted and resisting.

Originally Posted by angra
Is there anything that you can think of relevant to this event that would require cash?
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
{edited to save bandwidth[mine]} The walking tours have been booked for 9:30/10am on Saturday and Sunday (2-ish hours each). If there are over 25 people we will likely have to split in 2 groups so everyone can hear what's going on (no microphones used), but I'll figure that out once the Eventbrite is up.
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief
{edit} The walking tours will be between $15-25 each depending on how many people sign up. I will post firm numbers at the end of the registration period, so around Sept 11th or 12th. They will payable in cash (I will be collecting as I see people).
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Richmond Night Market is far more legit than the others and very accessible. It's what every local refers to when they say Night Market. Decent food and..... Uh... Socks, iPhone covers and Korean circle lenses if you're into that. Really, everyone just goes for the food.
Originally Posted by BOB W
My concern is that with this crowd there will not be any beer 🍺 left by Sunday.
The temptation is to decorate this reply in Color and a different font, because a moderator here would be too busy with last-moment real-life events to change it back.
The resistance is to not reply in a snarky remark to angra's retort. I'll bite my lip and restrain myself to a quote {from me}, "If you ever attend a Japan Do, you will have to have some cash". I have pasted above what may require real, physical cash, and perhaps Canadian cash at that. The current US-CDN exchange rate is $1 = 1.306333 CAD. If anybody 'offers' to convert US to Canadian 1-for-1, that is a genuine gouge.
If Vancouver's beerworthy venues actually run out of beer (or ale), I can e-mail some Canadian homebrewers who will have something available.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
Your Costco Visa should work ^
I didn't realize until today that Citi removed the forex fee from the Costco Visa. ^
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
P.S.A. for those with AT&T:
You may qualify for free calls/texts and 1 GB of data with AT&T's Canada Roaming Bonus:

https://slickdeals.net/f/8854375-at-...ing-bonus-free

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...mexico-canada/

I'd call 611 and ask for Retention. I did this afternoon thanks to @jackal's prompting, and its now on my plan ^
jackal likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 10:36 pm

Anything deal you can get from your US mobile provider will likely be way better than anything you could get from a Canadian provider using a local SIM. We have the privilege of paying some of the most ridiculously high rates in the world.

Why? Because we're so polite of course!

If only there was a way to dynamically change plans or providers on demand without the need to swap SIM cards ...
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:53 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
After meandering around Europe during the last day and a half I’ve at last started travelling in the right direction!
I was actually very close to YVR yesterday afternoon but decided to fly on to SFO for a couple of days.
Attached Images  
polkacat and nomadic.relief like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
can the organizer please call the weather god and order some sunshine

polkacat, jackal and angra like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.