FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   YVR Do September 14-16, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1901233-yvr-do-september-14-16-2018-a.html)

nomadic.relief Mar 29, 18 2:00 am

YVR Do September 14-16, 2018

So this is both an overdue and poorly timed announcement for a YVR Do this fall. *Note: For those of you who may have wandered over from the AC forum, this is NOT a Dorian Do - no swag! For the rest, disregard and proceed as normal.

Current plans include craft beer, walking tours Sat/Sun through Gastown/Chinatown/Granville Island, a group dinner on the Saturday night and possible assistance organizing one or two "flight-seeing" tours on float planes if enough interest on Sat/Sun.

More details to follow, it just may take a little while as a) I am about to head off to a Do myself right now and b) my laptop officially bit the dust a couple hours ago and I really hate typing things out on a screen. Once more organized I'll get a wiki up and running. I just wanted people to have the opportunity to sort hotels. Snagging a flight is easy, but the hotels are ridiculously expensive in September.

Look forward to seeing you there!!

NewbieRunner Mar 29, 18 2:22 am

Yay! I can now start to organise flights and accommodation!!! ^ :)

polkacat Mar 29, 18 4:52 am

Woohoo! I am in!

GrjApp Mar 29, 18 4:47 pm

Iím in. The grapevine mentioned this DO to me a while back and I secured some placeholder awards at IHG before their devaluation. Never been to YVR (gasp!) so l so definitely am planning to attend.

nomadic.relief Mar 29, 18 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 29582195)
Iím in. The grapevine mentioned this DO to me a while back and I secured some placeholder awards at IHG before their devaluation. Never been to YVR (gasp!) so l so definitely am planning to attend.

Ooooh that pesky grapevine. Gonna hafta have words with it. ;)

angra Mar 29, 18 5:54 pm

I'm in!

CDKing Mar 29, 18 8:45 pm

I'm not 100% confirmed but burned some avios that have been sitting in my pocket for the last 2 years. Not the best use but with the rumored deval coming i need to spend some. So scheduled arriving tentatively just before 1am on the 14th

Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 29582195)

I'm curious which one,is 40K points a night considered alot? I have IHG to burn as well. been sitting on 126K points for too long

beckoa Mar 30, 18 8:34 am

Seems I have a flight home secured this weekend. If I am able to go, this will be my first visit to Canada :eek:

Excited by Chinatown ^

jrl767 Mar 31, 18 11:32 am

^ this is definitely a possibility; it’s a reasonably easy drive from Seattle, and I suspect dog-friendly hotels aren’t too hard to come by

CMK10 Apr 1, 18 12:34 pm

I'm a maybe. As of now flights are a little pricier than I'd like but as this sounds like fun, I'm going to keep an eye on things.

nomadic.relief Apr 2, 18 12:51 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 29587679)
^ this is definitely a possibility; itís a reasonably easy drive from Seattle, and I suspect dog-friendly hotels arenít too hard to come by

You are definitely right on that! Fairmont Vancouver even has Ambassador Dogs you can borrow if you leave yours at home! :)

rxgeek Apr 2, 18 4:04 pm

rxgeek+1 are a maybe. Last visit to Vancouver didn't go do well. Need expert tour guides, maybe?

TravelKane Apr 3, 18 9:18 pm

Can you suggest some core hotels/area that we should be looking at?

TravelKane Apr 3, 18 9:46 pm

OK
Count me in as an absolute definite maybe.
Placeholder hotel booked - Hilton Metrotown.
This will actually be a first visit to Canada :eek:

pudgym29 Apr 5, 18 6:26 pm

Oh my goodness. I haven't been to Vancouver since August 1989. I could really jump on this to get there again. I'll put out a bot to see about cheap airfares.
If I am not mistaken [IINM], Metrotown is a bit out east from the city center. But it is on a trolley bus line, as well as a short distance from light rail.