FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   YVR Do September 14-16, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1901233-yvr-do-september-14-16-2018-a.html)

polkacat Jul 17, 18 2:23 pm

I get in Friday morning so am up for some group functions that day.

ANC RED-EYE Jul 17, 18 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 29978244)
Could I also ask that people indicate in the wiki if they are around on Friday evening for pre-drinks/dinner? I need a better idea of numbers to

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 29978259)
I'm arriving Thursday (planning on meeting up with local non--FT friends that evening) so will be around on Friday.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 29978439)
As I'm arriving on Thursday I'll be around on Friday for any daytime activities and drinks/dinner.

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 29979599)
Securing space for Friday afternoon/evening drinks could be tricky, but I'm in. Fingers crossed on the weather.

Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 29980034)
I arrive Thu evening, so up for Friday activities.

Originally Posted by polkacat (Post 29984480)
I get in Friday morning so am up for some group functions that day.

I took the liberty of updating the wiki with these responses above; hope that helps. I also am available and interested in meeting up Friday evening.

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 29981402)
we will be motoring up from SEA on Fri, leaving ~noon (I’ll most likely be flying WAS-SEA on Thurs evening)

Wasn't totally clear if this meant joining for the Friday evening activities, so haven't added @jrl767 to the wiki list

jrl767 Jul 17, 18 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE (Post 29985399)
... Wasn't totally clear if this meant joining for the Friday evening activities, so haven't added @jrl767 to the wiki list

fixed it for you :D :cool:
(had added our ETA in “confirmed” section of the wiki, but always better to be redundant in cases like this)

TravelKane Jul 29, 18 1:34 pm

:mad: I hate when that happens - found a flight, got everything else worked out to fit the flight, then went back to check on the flight and it is gone!! :mad:

I'm still trying

pudgym29 Jul 31, 18 3:34 pm

Make that move.

Woo hoo! I tired of waiting for a price drop.
In an unorthodox manner (it was spread out over two days), I have booked non-stop flights to from YVR on two separate Star Alliance carriers [United and Air Canada].
My flight from ORD to YVR is Wednesday night, 12 September, on UA 563; arriving at 10:20 pm (PT). Yes, I realize this is not giving me much time to get from the airport to wherever I am staying Wednesday. Hotels are still in a complete flux. I'm staying at the HI hostel @ 1114 Burnaby St. (Downtown)
I will not leave Vancouver until Monday afternoon, 17 September, on AC 8040 {Jazz}; arriving at ORD at 7:27 pm (CT). Yes, this is probably my first time on a CRJ 900.
There are other things I want to do when in Vancouver, and the airfares were a little cheaper on Monday. This will be my first time in Vancouver since August 1989.
How much was it? I booked in Canadian dollars using my credit union Visa CC which doesn't charge a conversion fee. It is the same CC I use when in Japan. The AC fare was CDN$195. The UA fare was CDN$183.

boxo Jul 31, 18 5:05 pm

Yay, Alaska finally dropped SJC YVR fares. I am on AS SJC PDX YVR arriving Friday 11:05 am. No Sunday or Monday return scheduled as of yet, but an Amtrak-Alaska itinerary is probable. The Park Plaza is booked on C+P for 2 nights, but I will be continuing to check for other options.

jrl767 Jul 31, 18 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by boxo (Post 30033504)
Yay, Alaska finally dropped SJC YVR fares. I am on AS SJC PDX YVR arriving Friday 11:05 am. No Sunday or Monday return scheduled as of yet, but an Amtrak-Alaska itinerary is probable. The Park Plaza is booked on C+P for 2 nights, but I will be continuing to check for other options.

of course you could just stay in Vancouver for a few more days and get to Seattle a couple days earlier ...

boxo Jul 31, 18 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30033564)

of course you could just stay in Vancouver for a few more days and get to Seattle a couple days earlier ...

:) True true, if Seattle hotel rates weren't so abominably high... but I'd also be passing on the opportunity to do a SF/Monterey-LA Highway 1 road trip, which just reopened a couple weeks ago.

jrl767 Jul 31, 18 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by boxo (Post 30033578)
...opportunity to do a SF/Monterey-LA Highway 1 road trip, which just reopened a couple weeks ago.

‘nuff said ... :D

boxo Jul 31, 18 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30033584)

‘nuff said ... :D

To be honest though, the last time I did that drive with a friend ~15 years ago, I got horribly horribly carsick. So the jury's still out on whether or not I will do it. At the very least, I will spend a day or two in Monterey with a German friend who's never been to the Central Coast.

TravelKane Aug 2, 18 5:24 pm

I'm in! :D

Like I said, my CMN>YUL J Seat got taken. So I decided to turn right instead of left. Heading there via South Korea:)

FEZ-CMN>AUH>ICN>LAX>YVR

Will arrive Thurs 13th

TravelKane Aug 2, 18 5:27 pm

If anyone at the Holiday Inn or Hampton on rewards night is going to back out, let me know. I'd like to switch hotels.

Bohemian1 Aug 2, 18 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by TravelKane (Post 30041362)
I'm in! :D

Like I said, my CMN>YUL J Seat got taken. So I decided to turn right instead of left. Heading there via South Korea:)

FEZ-CMN>AUH>ICN>LAX>YVR

Will arrive Thurs 13th

Wow! That is quite the haul.

I'm travelling about 15km to get there and you're doing about 15,000 miles.

You win.

johnnywho Aug 2, 18 10:12 pm

I wish I could join you guys, but just as I expected there is lots of work in September which means I can't get away.
Have fun guys!

beckoa Aug 2, 18 11:24 pm

Still trying to get off of work- in Bloomington, IN currently sweating away but having fun.

I did reserve a hotel for two nights at least... that is changeable/refundable.