FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   YVR Do September 14-16, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1901233-yvr-do-september-14-16-2018-a.html)

polkacat Sep 4, 2018 10:14 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30163463)
For Friday activities (for those in town already), there are a couple things I can help put together, but I am not sure where the majority interest lies:
- a trip up Grouse Mountain, can get to the base via transit or shuttle bus, costs $56 ($43US) includes a scenic round trip Skyride, Peak Chairlift, Lumberjack Shows, Birds in Motion Demonstrations, Ranger Talks at the Bear Habitat, and more.
- trip out to Museum of Anthropology out at UBC $16-18 (~$14US)- small but beautiful museum with large First Nations component on University campus
- *small group - max 10 reasonably - craft beer me-guided tour in East Van (yes I know, more beer for dinner, but it's likely to be quieter on a Friday afternoon than Sunday)
- rent bikes and ride around the Sea Wall (aka around Stanley Park) - long loop ~ 12 km **I have not ridden a bike in maybe a decade, but still would be willing to try ... it's flat and car-free.

My +1 and I are fine with whatever others prefer. Love the beer and bike options for sure. :D I'm sure all are enjoyable though!

NewbieRunner Sep 4, 2018 10:52 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 30163611)
The bike thing sounds kinda fun, but we should do beer first. Duh. ;)

Originally Posted by polkacat (Post 30166055)
My +1 and I are fine with whatever others prefer. Love the beer and bike options for sure. :D I'm sure all are enjoyable though!

The same here though I’m not sure about beer followed by bike. :p I’ll join whatever is the choice.

ANC RED-EYE Sep 4, 2018 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30163463)
For Friday activities (for those in town already), there are a couple things I can help put together, but I am not sure where the majority interest lies:
- a trip up Grouse Mountain, can get to the base via transit or shuttle bus, costs $56 ($43US) includes a scenic round trip Skyride, Peak Chairlift, Lumberjack Shows, Birds in Motion Demonstrations, Ranger Talks at the Bear Habitat, and more.
- trip out to Museum of Anthropology out at UBC $16-18 (~$14US)- small but beautiful museum with large First Nations component on University campus
- *small group - max 10 reasonably - craft beer me-guided tour in East Van (yes I know, more beer for dinner, but it's likely to be quieter on a Friday afternoon than Sunday)
- rent bikes and ride around the Sea Wall (aka around Stanley Park) - long loop ~ 12 km **I have not ridden a bike in maybe a decade, but still would be willing to try ... it's flat and car-free.

I'm interested in the craft beer tour option. I did bike around all of Stanley park last time I was in town, and it was great!

BOB W Sep 4, 2018 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by polkacat (Post 30166055)

So, for someone with complete ambivalence towards all things beer, I am beginning to feel a bit out of water. Is this Pepsi or Coke country?

canadiancow Sep 5, 2018 1:26 am

Can we do a beer tour Sunday afternoon as well? :D

jrl767 Sep 5, 2018 9:47 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30168903)
Can we do a beer tour Sunday afternoon as well? :D

do you have a grudge against BOB W? :p

BOB W Sep 5, 2018 9:58 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30170207)
do you have a grudge against BOB W? :p

My concern is that with this crowd there will not be any beer 🍺 left by Sunday.

canadiancow Sep 5, 2018 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W (Post 30170244)

My concern is that with this crowd there will not be any beer 🍺 left by Sunday.

Yeah, nomadic.relief can't be left alone near an open tap.

That being said, I can't either.

beckoa Sep 6, 2018 10:36 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow (Post 30172404)
Yeah, nomadic.relief can't be left alone near an open tap.

That being said, I can't either.

:D

The darker the better ^

polkacat Sep 6, 2018 4:16 pm

Argh

Aren't I glad I checked EF to see how my upgrade chances look - I found out AA changed the flight from a 7 am departure to a 10:10am departure. :mad: Now getting in to YVR a little before 1 pm, so may or may not be able to join the bike brewery tour :p depending on time.

Finkface Sep 6, 2018 4:32 pm

So I have just now confirmed that I will be in town that weekend. But from what I am reading, I am too late to get in on anything? Well, other than biking around SP but considering I live here, I can pass on that. The Eventbrite doesn’t show any activities. Am I too late to meet you all? No way to get in on dinner?

jrl767 Sep 6, 2018 4:58 pm

I’ve participated in several Seattle/DC happy hours and organized several informal meetups, but beyond the SFO/LAX tag-ons to the VX Farewell Flight this past spring, YVR is my first official FT DO ... from the various AS and DL folks I’ve met who will be in attendance, I’m highly confident that they won’t hesitate to gin up (so to speak) other social activities ... some may be semi-choreographed (2 or 6 or 24 hours in advance); some may be totally impromptu; but I’d bet a boarding pass that any FTers will be welcome at any of the pop-up events

Finkface Sep 6, 2018 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30176069)
I’ve participated in several Seattle/DC happy hours and organized several informal meetups, but beyond the SFO/LAX tag-ons to the VX Farewell Flight this past spring, YVR is my first official FT DO ... from the various AS and DL folks I’ve met who will be in attendance, I’m highly confident that they won’t hesitate to gin up (so to speak) other social activities ... some may be semi-choreographed (2 or 6 or 24 hours in advance); some may be totally impromptu; but I’d bet a boarding pass that any FTers will be welcome at any of the pop-up events

Well you have my number so text me and I am there. Would still love to get in on the dinner, though.

And yes, my first legit DO as well. While I have met some FT-ers, yourself included, there are some names on this list that I would love to meet. Maybe I should host a deck party at my place? Weather permitting. Although I am quite out of the way to get to.

boxo Sep 6, 2018 10:00 pm

I would like to suggest everyone who wasn't able to officially register for dinner(s), start a roster in the wiki and from there hopefully a plan can be developed.

NewbieRunner Sep 7, 2018 2:33 am

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30176069)

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 30176086)
And yes, my first legit DO as well. While I have met some FT-ers, yourself included, there are some names on this list that I would love to meet. Maybe I should host a deck party at my place? Weather permitting. Although I am quite out of the way to get to.

Some people are arriving on Thursday and/or staying until after the weekend. (I’m arriving on Thursday and leaving on Tuesday.) We’d welcome the opportunity to get out and about whether or not (especially the latter for some :p) it involves beer. 🍻 I also suspect nomadic.relief might appreciate some respite before/during/after the DO if some locals can suggest alternative/additional activities.