FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   CommunityBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz-380/)
-   -   YVR Do September 14-16, 2018 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/communitybuzz/1901233-yvr-do-september-14-16-2018-a.html)

polkacat Sep 13, 18 7:52 am

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE (Post 30198247)
Unfortunately I can't make it to YVR this weekend due to a work related issue that needs my commitment on Friday and maybe also during the weekend. :(
So my seat for both dinners is available.

I'm sad and sorry - especially as I was talking @nomadic.relief into organizing this DO on a regular base for quite some time ...

Oh no! So bummed we will not get to see you, and sorry that you have to work instead of playing in Vancouver.

margarita girl Sep 13, 18 8:32 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30196271)
For the walking tours, they have been locked in now and are payable in cash. I accept the following currencies:

$33 CAD for both tours, $16.50 for one (gratuity incl)
$25/$12.50 US
€21.50/€10.75

There is still room for extra participants on these.

I assume when we see you will be fine. I can also send money via Interac transfer if preferable.

nomadic.relief Sep 13, 18 10:00 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30199403)
I assume when we see you will be fine. I can also send money via Interac transfer if preferable.

Yes, cash on first sighting will be just fine. :)

angra Sep 13, 18 10:02 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30196156)
Indoor things to do: Art Gallery, Museum of Anthropology (although getting there might get a bit wet, not on a direct bus route), FlyOver Canada IMAX, Vancouver Police Museum (this is one I'd really like to do - never been, many Vancouverites don't even know about it), the majority of Granville Island is covered (food and craft markets), Museum of Vancouver.

I am thinking a bike ride is not in the cards.

I am very much a "go with the flow" traveler, and my main priority is to visit with new and old friends, but for the sake of spurring conversation, I am interested in any of those, in roughly this descending order of intensity

* Police Museum (enthusiasm is infectious)
* Anthropology Museum
* Tie: Art Gallery / Museum of V / Granville Island
* Imax

nomadic.relief Sep 13, 18 10:02 am

Originally Posted by GrjApp (Post 30199250)
And sadly I need to cancel as well. Very disappointed, but life and all that. I'll second a motion for making this an annual event!

LOL well if I do this again, I may just have to post discounts for those who actually came! :p

Sorry you can't make it though. See you in a couple weeks!

pudgym29 Sep 13, 18 11:02 am

Base camp

I am in downtown Vancouver. :) Despite a warning, the HI Downtown hostel {v. the other one} is on an avenue that is really quiet. I arrived here @ 23:42 yesterday night.
UA 563 was overbooked by one seat! The announcement was made for somebody to yield their seat. UA could not get you to Vancouver that night if you accepted. So it offered one night's accomodation, a meal; it would put you on an Air Canada flight Thursday morning; and would give you $700 of UA script. :eek:
I considered taking this. But, then I would be somewhat restricted to flying on UA for the next year; it would not be enough (probably) to get me to Japan for Hokkai-Do #7; and I might lose all the nights on my hostel reservation if I did not appear there. [I would have contacted it to tell it I would not be there that night. I would be charged for that night.] There was also consideration of the weather. If YVR got socked by rain Thursday, it might have messed me up even further.
There is somebody here who I have known only from the World-Wide Web for probably fifteen years. I strive to meet him today. E-Mails, USPS letters, private messages left on fora where we both are registered have gone unanswered. The contemplation may involve ringing the doorbell at an address. :o
From here, I am heading for CAA on Davie St. for a paper map of Vancouver, and then the currency exchange on W. Pender St.
I hope I can connect to wi-fi somewhere during the afternoon to check on any responses from that person. Lunch will likely be ramen.
Wish me success. :)

NewbieRunner Sep 13, 18 11:28 am

Just boarded UA685 at SFO. Next stop YVR! See you all soon.

P.S. We are back at the gate to pick up a flight attendant to replace one who is sick in YVR for the return flight. Leaving the gate again 70 mins late.

P.P.S. How is weather in YVR? Almost 2 hours after the scheduled departure time we are back at the gate again. Due to weather conditions in YVR the flight might be cancelled! It was going to be a flight under 2 hours and I haven’t packed anything to keep me going and remember this is an Economy flight on United. :( At least the crew are very apologetic and they’ve distributed glasses of water. Let’s see how it goes.

Bohemian1 Sep 13, 18 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 30200124)

P.P.S. How is weather in YVR? Almost 2 hours after the scheduled departure time we are back at the gate again. Due to weather conditions in YVR the flight might be cancelled! It was going to be a flight under 2 hours and I haven’t packed anything to keep me going and remember this is an Economy flight on United. :( At least the crew are very apologetic and they’ve distributed glasses of water. Let’s see how it goes.

The weather ain't that bad. Currently 14, mostly cloudy but with no rain for next couple of hours. Happy landings!

margarita girl Sep 13, 18 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief (Post 30196156)
f0zzyNUE I am terribly sorry, but I don't believe the weather gods are on speaking terms with me at the moment. This is not what I ordered.

Yikes. YVR will be 14-16C and rainy on the weekend. YYZ will be 26C and sunny. Well that is rather unfortunate! Leaving the shorts at home, packing a raincoat and umbrella!

NewbieRunner Sep 13, 18 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1 (Post 30200594)
The weather ain't that bad. Currently 14, mostly cloudy but with no rain for next couple of hours. Happy landings!

Adverse weather was probably misinformation. Cockpit crew was going to time out so they are waiting for a replacement captain and FO. Estimated departure in 20 mins. Keeping my fingers crossed.

boxo Sep 13, 18 3:12 pm

Oh no, the weather forecast has changed since I last checked. Cooler and wetter than expected. :https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/members/nomadic-relief.html" target="_blank">nomadic.relief, will we need cash for walking tour payments?

nomadic.relief Sep 13, 18 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by boxo (Post 30200972)
@nomadic.relief, will we need cash for walking tour payments?

That would certainly be the preferred option (in any one of the 3 currencies mentioned). Didn't want people paying more EventBrite fees!

I suppose if someone REALLY didn't want to have cash, a preloaded Visa/MC would also be okay.

nomadic.relief Sep 13, 18 8:04 pm

**NOTE: Sorry folks, I had the time wrong on the EventBrite for Friday - it is at 6pm, not 7pm. I have sent everyone who signed up an email. Just posting here to cover bases.

jrl767 Sep 13, 18 8:34 pm

I suspect all that may mean for some is the impetus to get an earlier start on happy hour ;)