kltye [DUT,ANC]
LIGrin [BBQ, State Fair]
ANC RED-EYE [ANCII, BBQ]

Transportation & Lodging

DUT Lodging
  • Grand Aleutian: Everyone

Departure to ANC
  • 9/3/15 1:30 pm AS3299 DUT-ANC: bob w, pfbloom [delayed to 5:30]
  • 9/3/15 4:15 PM AS3295 DUT-ANC: beckoa, FriendlySkies, GrjApp, violist, rxgeek, rxgeek+1, WhIteSidE [delayed to 8:15]
  • 9/3/15 6:30 PM AS3297 jackal+1
  • 9/4/15 1:30 PM AS3299 DUT-ANC: JohnSydney2000, ckpeter, kltye
  • 9/4/15 6:30 PM AS3296 DUT-ANC: CDKing

Arrival into ANC
  • 9/3/15 4:19 PM AS93 SEA-ANC lili
  • 9/3/15 5:00 pm AS3299 DUT-ANC: bob w, pfbloom
  • 9/3/15 5:27 PM DL1699 SEA-ANC: bdnyc
  • 9/3/15 7:45 PM AS3295 DUT-ANC: beckoa, FriendlySkies, GrjApp, violist, rxgeek, rxgeek+1, WhIteSidE
  • 9/3/15 10:00 PM AS3297 jackal+1
  • 9/3/15 10:38 PM DL 966 SEA-ANC: frantic & monitor
  • 9/4/15 5:00 PM AS3299 DUT-ANC: JohnSydney2000, ckpeter, kltye
  • 9/4/15 10:00 PM AS3296 DUT-ANC: CDKing

Dinner/drinks on The Deck at Lake Hood - Thursday, September 3 ~8:00 p.m. (immediately after arrival of AS 3295 from DUT) <-- CANCELLED
Happy Hour at Orso bar - Thursday, September 3 ~8:45p.m. (immediately after DELAYED arrival of AS 3295 from DUT) <-- ALTERNATE PLAN IN PLACE
  • ANC RED-EYE
  • GrjApp
  • Bob w
  • bdnyc
  • lili

BBQ - Friday, 9/4/15
  • bob w, jackal, beckoa, GrjApp, violist, rxgeek, rxgeek+1, lili, ANC RED-EYE, bdnyc, ckpeter, kltye, AKronin, monitor, frantic, FriendlySkies, pfbloom, WhIteSidE, JohnSydney2000

Alaska State Fair - Saturday 9/5/15
Code:
DATE CONFIRMED
S=Senior
  • jackal, beckoa, GrjApp, violist, rxgeekS, rxgeek+1S, lili S, ckpeter, kltye, FriendlySkies, JohnSydney2000, BOB W, BDNYC, LIGrin

Saturday, September 5 Alaska State Fair Trip <-- NEW
  • Rxgeek, Rxgeek +1
  • ckpeter
  • kltye
  • JohnSydney2000
  • FriendlySkies
  • lili

Sunday, September 6 Anchorage Sights Tour II <-- NEW
  • INSERT YOUR NAME HERE
    Rxgeek, Rxgeek +1
  • ckpeter
  • kltye
  • JohnSydney2000

Departure Home
  • 9/5/15 12:45 AM AS108 ANC-SEA: pfbloom
  • 9/5/15 12:50 AM AS122 ANC-PDX: CDKing
  • 9/5/15 5:00 AM AS 730 ANC-SEA: WhIteSidE
  • 9/6/15 12:45 AM AS108 ANC-SEA: FriendlySkies
  • 9/6/15 1:25 PM DL2048 ANC-SEA: frantic & monitor
  • 9/6/15 8:40 PM AA1008 ANC-DFW: GrjApp
  • 9/6/15 11:10 PM AS138 ANC-ORD: ckpeter, kltye
  • 9/7/15 1:25am US520 ANC-PHX: rxgeek
  • 9/7/15 12:35 PM AS 110 ANC-SEA: lili
  • 9/7/15 1:20PM DL1627 ANC-SEA: bdnyc
  • 9/7/15 4:30 PM AS98 ANC-SEA: violist
  • 9/8/15 20:40 AA1008 ANC-DFW: JohnSydney2000

Archive:

Unconfirmed attendees:

Likely:
DeltaWings

Interested:
alphaeagle [ANC, DUT, ANC]
redtigeriii
penegal
bse118
JessicaTam [ANC]
tonei

Next year:
FortFun
PV_Premier
GW McLintock

Transportation & Lodging

Arrival into ANC
  • 8/28/15 12:26am US584 PHX-ANC: rxgeek, rxgeek+1
  • 8/28/15 20:30 DL1088 MSP-ANC: pfbloom, lynnevt
  • 8/29/15 1:24 AM AS143 PDX-ANC: CDKing
  • 8/29/15 19:40 AA2298 DFW-ANC JohnSydney2000
  • 8/30/15 12:26 AM US584 PHX-ANC: GrjApp
  • 8/31/15 11:41AM AS87 SEA-ANC: FriendlySkies
  • 8/31/15 10:20 PM AS99 SEA-ANC: WhIteSidE
  • 9/01/15 1:34 PM AS139: kltye

Sunday, August 30 Anchorage Sights Tour
  • INSERT YOUR NAME HERE
  • JohnSydney2000

Monday, August 31 Hatcher Pass/Independence Mine Trip
  • INSERT YOUR NAME HERE
  • JohnSydney2000

Arrival into DUT
  • 9/1/15 9:45 AM AS3286 ANC-DUT: rxgeek, rxgeek+1
  • 9/1/15 12:45 PM AS3298 ANC-DUT: beckoa, jackal, bob w, violist, WhIteSidE, FriendlySkies
  • 9/1/15 3:30 PM AS3294 ANC-DUT: Delayed
  • 9/1/15 5:45 PM AS3296 ANC-DUT: GrjApp, ckpeter, kltye, JohnSydney2000, pfbloom, CDKing
Print Wikipost

Alaska Do 2015: The Deadliest Catch Do (Dutch Harbor, AK) | Aug 29-Sep 6, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:23 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by ANC RED-EYE
As directed by Beckoa, the dates for the Alaska state fair were updated in the wiki to Sunday 9/6. Please take note of that to ensure it is consistent with you plans (I believe this has been mentioned up thread)
Has the fair been changed to Saturday? (per wiki?)
Old Aug 19, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta Plat, former AA EXP, AS Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Plat.
Dutch Harbor travel advice

My friend Dr. Veltre, an archeologist at the Univ. Alaska Anchorage offers these thoughts on visiting Dutch Harbor. He's been through there many summers on the way to his research work in the outer islands.

"About Dutch Harbor/Unalaska (it’s confusing, but Dutch Harbor is just one area within the City of Unalaska): We were there again recently and spent about 5 days at the Grand Aleutian, though there are one or two other (and far less cushy) places to stay. I gave a talk at the museum there about work I had done in Unalaska and elsewhere in the region.

As I am sure you are aware, you had better be prepared for travel delays. We had no problems last July, but while we were there about 6 flights over 2½ days were canceled due to weather, and it took days to get back to normal with the back-logged passengers. Just be ready for things like that. Have reading material, etc. Also, I wouldn’t plan on getting back home to something super-critical (like a wedding or other special event) the day after you plan to be home.

For tourists, there are a few folks who lead local tours..... e.g. a woman named Bobbie Lekanoff, whom you can google to find contact info. She’ll do different lengths, depending on your desires.

There is a local art and history museum, plus a WWII museum. Both are worth going to – and within an easy walk from the hotel. Renting a vehicle could be a good option. It isn’t cheap (probably c. $100/day), but you’ll get around much easier and have fun. There are also numerous cabs. It can be rainy, windy, cool, foggy – perfect hypothermia weather, so be prepared with layer-able gear, including a rain coat (and pants, if you anticipate really wanting to walk/hike in any weather). It could also be perfectly nice and sunny, but definitely nothing to count on.

Seeing the Russian Orthodox church might be something you would like to do – I would certainly recommend inquiring soon after your arrival if you want to find a tour there. ….

Back to the car rental: All the roads are unpaved, but mostly good. Lots of potholes, so speeding is out. But being able to drive (a) down Captains Bay to the southwest, (b) northeast to Summer Bay, and (c) southeast “inland” up Unalaska Valley would make for fun little trips (we’re talking no more than 5 or so miles in any direction).

You’ll definitely see lots, LOTS of bald eagles, especially around the hotel, where they hang out to pick the fishing nets clean. Don’t expect them all to look like proud symbols of national pride, however: many are scruffy, dumpster-diving critters. If you see any signs to stay clear of eagle nests, do pay attention, as they are well known to open human scalps if threatened.

If you can, sit on the left side of the outbound plane, and on the right side back to Anchorage. The cloud cover almost always obscures the terrific volcanic landscape, but if you get lucky, you’ll be in for a treat!

Last edited by pfbloom; Aug 19, 2015 at 4:22 pm
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
This question will be answered in "Jackal Time"
Old Aug 21, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by BOB W
The plan for the week is starting to come together, finally! Details soon, I promise.

(As for the fair, I give up--it's been changed so many times by different people that I probably should just plan on going out to the fair both days. )

One note so that you guys can get going on your own plans for things while I finalize other plans--as I've already informed the couple of people who had booked their flights to arrive in Anchorage early enough to visit Denali before we go to Dutch, due to the limited number of people who are arriving in time to depart for Denali on Saturday morning, Denali is no longer an official part of the Do.

Those who have booked to arrive early enough to visit Denali are encouraged to visit on their own. There are several different transportation options to get up there (and I can provide some assistance on the rental car front), and I'll be glad to outline what to do in the Denali area to maximize your experience.

For the rest of the folks arriving in ANC Saturday afternoon or later, there are activities in the works that you'll very much enjoy (so just in case, keep Sunday night 8/30 flexible--don't book anything nonrefundable quite yet).

That said, as we work on plans to visit Dutch, we are finding out that there is truly a metric-ton of stuff to see out there, far more than we initially envisioned. Especially if you are interested in hiking through some amazing terrain, booking a fishing(/whale-watching) charter, or even scuba-diving in Bristol Bay (probably a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!), and if you have elite status and can change awards fee-free, you may want to consider changing your flight to DUT a day earlier to Monday, 8/31 to give yourself an extra day out there. (Although saver space is currently available, I won't be changing dates due to the $125 change fee and my commitments in the Anchorage area.)

More details on everything soon!

Last edited by jackal; Aug 21, 2015 at 6:36 pm
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by jackal
As for the fair, I give up--it's been changed so many times by different people that I probably should just plan on going out to the fair both days. )
wiki has been updated to show both dates for the Fair. Please change the wiki to show which day(s) you will be going so we can make sure we have transportation figured out.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 3:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
He is apparently staying at the Captain Cook, so expect downtown to be a mess. A family member who works nearby received word that their office may be closed while he's here as it's inside the security perimeter.

We'll stay far from downtown on Monday night, don't worry. Those booking hotels for Monday night might want to consider doing the same, unless you really want a chance at spotting the prez.
Hope flights aren't messed up too much with TFR's
Old Aug 22, 2015, 3:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I just sent out a PM to those I've helped arrange DUT lodging to with codes for everyone. If you have 2 people per room, you'll each have a code. If you've made alternate arrangements for rooms, I'd say its ok to cancel those.

We're also developing a consensus with the Alaska State Fair. I'd expect confirmation within the next day. And if attending and would like discounted tickets, please double check you're listed under the wiki, and for the proper type (Regular vs. 65+ Senior). These will be purchased Monday or Tuesday.

Thanks!
Old Aug 22, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Aurora

It would be great if the aurora is visible during our Do. Of course, it must be dark enough. Here are some prediction sites.
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/node/114
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/au...inute-forecast
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/NorthAmerica/
Old Aug 22, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Hope flights aren't messed up too much with TFR's
Scheduled flights shouldn't be affected. Air taxis and private pilots are the ones going to suffer, especially float planes, which are likely to be completely grounded. September marks the beginning of the fall hunting season, and I'll bet some who had planned hunts that week are pretty miffed right now.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150821/...s-visit-alaska

Originally Posted by rxgeek
It would be great if the aurora is visible during our Do. Of course, it must be dark enough. Here are some prediction sites.
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/node/114
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/au...inute-forecast
http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/NorthAmerica/
Friends have been posting on Facebook about good aurora displays the last couple of nights (of course, I didn't see their posts until the next mornings). If they're active, it's just now getting dark enough to be able to see them for a limited window very, very early in the morning (1-2am or so).
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Friends have been posting on Facebook about good aurora displays the last couple of nights (of course, I didn't see their posts until the next mornings). If they're active, it's just now getting dark enough to be able to see them for a limited window very, very early in the morning (1-2am or so).
Great display tonight. Tomorrow's promises to be even better:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Alaska/20150823
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:22 am

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Great display tonight. Tomorrow's promises to be even better:

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/Alaska/20150823
Not bad. Thanks for the heads up tonight- hope we get some lights a bit later on too ^
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:57 pm

Exclamation

Yes after extensive emails and phone calls we're keeping the Alaska State Fair on the original date of Saturday, September 5, 2015.

Well it was answered And over a week out

wiki has been updated to show both dates for the Fair. Please change the wiki to show which day(s) you will be going so we can make sure we have transportation figured out.
And please make sure your fair attendance is accurate. Tickets will be secured tomorrow afternoon. They are also available at the gate at a higher cost, and after standing in line.

Thanks!

beckoa
Old Aug 25, 2015, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We are out for Saturday at the State Fair. We leave ANC on Sunday afternoon but had planned to be (and will be) out at the resort in Alyeska for Saturday afternoon and night.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:36 am

Programs: UA, Delta, AA
Originally Posted by beckoa
Yes after extensive emails and phone calls we're keeping the Alaska State Fair on the original date of Saturday, September 5, 2015.

Well it was answered And over a week out

And please make sure your fair attendance is accurate. Tickets will be secured tomorrow afternoon. They are also available at the gate at a higher cost, and after standing in line.

Thanks!

beckoa
I will be attending Saturday Regular ticket.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 5:35 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Tickets purchased for the fair. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.