Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

JOIN IN - OFFICIAL 2013 Secret Santa Extravaganza!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2013, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: maskedmesothorium
Useful Information & Resources

New to Secret Santa, read this!
To see who's participating, go here!
USPS Prohibited Items
Keep customs charges in mind if you are shipping internationally or use a 'local' webstore such as amazon.ca / .co.uk / .de / etc.
Some interesting Secret Santa Statistics

Checklist

• Send PM to wharvey following the requirements set out in post 1 before the deadline of November 23, 2013.
  • Wait for your assignment
  • Start researching your assignment and get shopping
  • Notify wharvey of what you bought and that you sent your gifts, get a tracking number with delivery verification if possible
  • When you receive your gift, notify wharvey of what you received.
  • Post a photo or description here to show everyone what you got and publicly thank your Santa.

Hints, requests, and gift suggestions

Did you post about what you'd like to receive beyond what was in your PM? Any special requests or other requirements? Link that post here with your username.

kipper #1 #2 #3
Redhead #1
Jinxy #1
MrDplus #1
B7e7US #1
evanderm #1 #2

Gifts Sent (Don't forget to PM wharvey)

mpc7488
Redhead - all gifts sent to all 3 giftees
Jinxy | round 2
evanderm
slocouple |
CDTraveler
and
MrDplus
Underpressure
balima | more round2
timmy83
B7e7US
kaija
rwoman
miffSC
yunicorner
weather - 2 mailed with 1 to be delivered by other means
basejump
98103 all 3 shipped
oliver2002 - mailed 12/14 from NYC
want2fly4less- gifts sent from amazon.com on the 21st of November
dcstudent - all gifts sent and received by my giftees (according to USPS and UPS tracking). I don't know if one of my recipients likes cats, but he got a case of them anyways.
hgiphl
tcl
nrdk
The Deal Mommy
maskedmesothorium
Polomarc
skyemema
nomadic.relief
MissJoeyDFW sent all three, all three confirmed received.
WIRunner - Both sent 1 completely delivered, 1 mostly
medichill
lisamcgu - all my gifts have been sent and delivered over the past two months.
silverhalide post 1 post 2
Gomac 2 of 2
Jeffie
SESTAR
Skyemema 1 of 1 delivered.
TravelConcierge
jackal - sent Priority Mail 12/18, USPS confirmed delivery 12/20
elCheapoDeluxe - sent 21-Nov-2013

Gifts Received (Don't forget to PM wharvey)

Oliver2002 post
elf618 post post post post post
soccerfanz10 post
Gomac post
LAtraveler1 post
Jinxy post
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21957924-post486.html
dibby post
oenophilist post
woofly post
timmy83 post post
balima post post post
rwoman post 1, 2, and 3
tcl post post post post post post post post
MoreMilesPlease Post
WIRunner Post 1 of 2
Redhead Post
Underpressure Post
evanderm Post
miffSc Post 1 of 2 Picture 1 of 2
basejump Post
98103 - 1st Post 2nd Post
AussieOzzie Post
CDTraveler
want2fly4lessPost
MrDPlus post 1 of 2
B7e7US Post
lisamcgu Post
wto605 Post
weather 2 gifts received, 3rd arrived!!
nomadic.relief 1 of 3 Post
Jerseygirl17 post 1 and 2
MissJoeyDFW All 3 gifts received
SESTAR
SLOCouple 2 gifts received:
Post and Post
mpc7488 Gift #1
silverhalide post 1 and 2
hginphl
Jeffie Post 1 and Post 2
yunicorner post 1 and 2
nrdk
elCheapoDeluxe - Received 20-Nov-2013 and opened 25-Dec-2013
jackal post
medichill post
maskedmesothorium post

Who's your Santa

Think you've figured it out?! Link to your speculation (or confirmation) posts on who has sent you your gifts. Have some fun and leave some clues, be cryptic.

balima post
tcl post postpost
miffSC Post
nrdk Post
wto605 Post

How to post pictures of your gifts
A guide from the Travel Photography forum
Print Wikipost

JOIN IN - OFFICIAL 2013 Secret Santa Extravaganza!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 4:45 pm

PM on the way too,
Old Jan 5, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wharvey
Looks like Santa might have a few bad helpers.... or very delinquent.

A number of you have offered but I lost track. If you would be willing to fill in for someone who did not get a gift, can you message me again?

I have both male and female children that need taking care of.... if you should have a preference indicate that in your message.

Thanks
Sending PM.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, IHG, Amtrak
For the past few years, any member who has not fulfilled their commitment in Secret Santa has been permanently banned from Flyertalk. I will not go into details, but the Community Director and I agreed on this decision some time ago... and it is highlighted when people sign up.
I did not realize this either. I think it would discourage the slackers from signing up if you specifically put that in the rules. This is the only repercussion I see in the rules (am I missing something?):

4. ...Understand, however, that failure to deliver will result in your being denied participation in future years.

Also, I know a lot of people are frustrated that there has been no acknowledgement from certain recipients but there is no requirement in the rules that says they must acknowledge receipt. I'm not saying what they did was right but I don't think people should be penalized for something if it's not in the rules. They're not breaking a rule if there is no rule to begin with.

I really hope that Secret Santa will continue as I have enjoyed it the last three years. And if it does I would recommend adding/modifying the rules: 1)If you don't send a gift, you are permanently banned from FT, 2)You must send receipt of gift (with details) to wharvey and post to thread (details optional), and 3) first-year SS participants are allowed one giftee (to possibly reduce the number of people who don't get gifts)

Last edited by yunicorner; Jan 5, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:35 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
When people got their assignments, the consequences for non-delivery were clear:

I ask that you not wait until the last second to send your gifts... as it does take time for gifts to get to people... especially overseas. By signing up, you committed to sending a gift to arrive by December 25th. Please ensure you meet this requirement. If you fail to deliver on your commitment, you will be suspended from Flyertalk until such time you complete your commitment. If you anticipate being unable to complete this assignment, let me know now before someone sends you something.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, IHG, Amtrak
When people got their assignments, the consequences for non-delivery were clear:

I ask that you not wait until the last second to send your gifts... as it does take time for gifts to get to people... especially overseas. By signing up, you committed to sending a gift to arrive by December 25th. Please ensure you meet this requirement. If you fail to deliver on your commitment, you will be suspended from Flyertalk until such time you complete your commitment. If you anticipate being unable to complete this assignment, let me know now before someone sends you something.
I see. It's in the PM. I would recommend adding it to the first message in the thread to really drive the point. I also noticed that the PM includes a bit about sending you a receipt acknowledgement. Unfortunately, it looks like an afterthought so again I would recommend adding it to the first message in the thread as an official rule.

Thanks for all the work you put into this, wharvey. I don't mean to be nitpicky; just want slackers to stay away from something they can't handle.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 2:26 pm
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
It's sad when this happens every year. I feel especially bad for wharvey as he puts so much time and effort into this that it ceases to be fun for him.

On a brighter note, I went to a Moroccan restaurant for lunch today and the chef offered to show me how to use my new tagine properly to avoid accidentally cracking it. I used to have a few tagines but they broke during my multiple moves and also when trying to cook with them over unreliable burners in rental apartments over the years. I have been using the Le Creuset one with the cast iron bottom which is crazy-burner resistant. I am thrilled to have a terracotta one again and have just ordered heat diffusers to be able to use it safely on my electric range. Thank you again Secret Santa balima I'll post pics of my first dished cooked in it next week when the diffusers arrive.

Originally Posted by balima
I hope you didn't already have a tangine. I did get one from my sister and I'm looking forward to using it soon.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 6:01 pm

Programs: EMT-P
I PM'd wharvey when my package arrived and posted pics (post #860), but I can't update the wiki. Can someone help me out and include a link?

TIA
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by medichill
I PM'd wharvey when my package arrived and posted pics (post #860), but I can't update the wiki. Can someone help me out and include a link?

TIA
Done!
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
Looks like Santa might have a few bad helpers.... or very delinquent.

A number of you have offered but I lost track. If you would be willing to fill in for someone who did not get a gift, can you message me again?

I have both male and female children that need taking care of.... if you should have a preference indicate that in your message.

Thanks
Did everyone get taken care of? I just read your post and I will PM you if you still need someone additional.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:17 am

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Thank you Santa!

The Boeing Carbon Fibre cufflinks are great (and I'd been eyeing them curiously for a while on the boring store site - however did you guess!! As is the Tumi USB Adapter and the UA amenity kit.

^
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:07 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by yunicorner
3) first-year SS participants are allowed one giftee (to possibly reduce the number of people who don't get gifts)
Unless you have proof that those who failed to send gift were first-year SS participants, I don't think this is relevant.

In my case, this was my first year, and I only signed up for one gift because I did not have the time to deal with 2 or 3 due to a busy travel schedule, otherwise I would have signed up for 3.

I had a great time and enjoyed every single post of this thread, but being called dishonest only for being a first-year participant has discouraged me to participate in a future FT-SS.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:06 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I want to thank everyone who stepped forward via PM to take on an additional Santa.

I want to wait one more week before I give out assignments to give one final chance for people to follow through.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by B7e7US
I had a great time and enjoyed every single post of this thread, but being called dishonest only for being a first-year participant has discouraged me to participate in a future FT-SS.
I hope you don't feel that you are being characterized as dishonest. It's more like unproven. Please don't be discouraged.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:53 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Originally Posted by B7e7US
Please don't be offended. If you look back at previous years, quite a few publicly banned Santas were veteran Santas that had good track records as Santas, on other part of the forum and at FT events. For reasons unknown/only known to Head Santa, they didn't fulfill their end of the agreement.

I want to thank everyone who stepped forward via PM to take on an additional Santa.

I want to wait one more week before I give out assignments to give one final chance for people to follow through.

Thanks again.
Thanks for the headsup. I was beginning to get worried that PMs went into the black hole again.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by tcl
It's sad when this happens every year. I feel especially bad for wharvey as he puts so much time and effort into this that it ceases to be fun for him.

On a brighter note, I went to a Moroccan restaurant for lunch today and the chef offered to show me how to use my new tagine properly to avoid accidentally cracking it. I used to have a few tagines but they broke during my multiple moves and also when trying to cook with them over unreliable burners in rental apartments over the years. I have been using the Le Creuset one with the cast iron bottom which is crazy-burner resistant. I am thrilled to have a terracotta one again and have just ordered heat diffusers to be able to use it safely on my electric range. Thank you again Secret Santa balima I'll post pics of my first dished cooked in it next week when the diffusers arrive.
Oh, please post pictures when you do, or at least PM me.
I haven't yet used mine, but I'm looking forward to trying soon.
Perhaps today. At home and not going anywhere since half the city is in lock down due to the -15 degree temps (-50 with wind chill) and I'm not at work.

for being home
for the butt cold weather
Thinking of spring

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.