Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Please choose the activities you wish to attend
Tsukiji Fish Market (starts 5am) Will run Friday and Sat
61.00%
Airline Event (half-day) Saturday/Sunday
89.00%
Bullet Train Tour (overnight) to Kyoto (Saturday)
51.00%
Beer Factory Visit (Japanese Microbrew)
45.00%
Shopping Tour (Akihabara) Electronics etc
29.00%
Welcome Drinks - Thurs Night (Izakaya style) Will require registration
68.00%
Main Dinner - Friday Night
82.00%
Cultural Day - Walking Tour (Palace, Historic Japanese)
62.00%
Wrap up Lunch - Sunday
69.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 20, 2013, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Japan Do Dashboard Wiki

Events schedule

Thu 28 Mar
13:30 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 1

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

18:00 Welcome Drinks at Heartland, Roppongi

Fri 29 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

10:00 Unofficial Imperial Palace Tour 2

Tokyo station is also very convenient (Tokaido, Yokosuka, Keihin-Tohoku, Yamanote, Chuo and Keiyo JR lines plus Marunouchi metro line)

10:15 Sumida River Water Bus, Hamarikyu Gardens

Shiodome (E19) or Tsukiji Shijo (E18) on Oedo Subway Line are also convenient for Hamarikyu.

19:00 Traditional Japanese Izakaya at Kakoiya, Yurakucho

Sat 30 Mar
05:00 Tsukiji Market Tour, Tsukiji Shijō

08:00 Nagano Shinkansen

Outbound: Tokyo station (08:36 Asama 509)
Inbound: Nagano station (14:26 Asama 530)

10:00 Cherry blossom walk 1, Imperial Palace

17:45 Dinner Cruise, Haneda Airport Pier (18:00 departure)

Sun 31 Mar
10:00 Cherry blossom walk 2, Imperial Palace

Logistics

When we're arriving | Where we're staying | When we're leaving

Narita Express (N'EX) | Suica & N'EX package | Narita and Haneda Limousine Buses | Tokyo Subway Route Map | JR East Network Map | Google map w/ subway overlay | JR Yamanote Line loop
Print Wikipost

Japan DO - March 29-31, 2013

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:28 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DHalltheway
Originally Posted by tcook052
Not me and the forecast for next week seems as warm according to the Japan Meteorological Agency with daytime highs 17 -22C which makes for some comfortable sightseeing weather.
that is why they (sakuras) are starting to open.
The sakura weathermap site is not so optimistic. And in any case the DO is not next week.

Old Mar 14, 2013, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The sakura weathermap site is not so optimistic. And in any case the DO is not next week.
No it isn't but some of us are arriving pre-Do.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 4:27 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

I've found that footpaths inside Hamarikyu Gardens are covered by Google Street View and added a pictorial guide for how to get from the entrance to the Water Bus Landing Stage at the end of post #509.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:01 pm

No it isn't but some of us are arriving pre-Do.
Is there a list of people who arrive pre-do and where everybody is staying? Will be arriving on March 22nd.

Last edited by TAHKUCT; Mar 14, 2013 at 8:05 pm Reason: corrected date
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by TAHKUCT
Is there a list of people who arrive pre-do and where everybody is staying? Will be arriving on April 22nd.
You'll miss the DO by weeks!
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by tkey75
You'll miss the DO by weeks!
Oops. Ready for vacation. Meant March 22
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I am looking forward to warmer weather as its dropped to -15C here with lots of the white stuff.

Just noticed the change of venue for the welcome drinks on Thurs., 28th March and gather the Kirin Heartland Roppongi is just around the corner from the Grand Hyatt so only a small relocation. Luckily I quite like Kirin beer so it's a good choice. ^

Also noticed the izakaya venue has been added & menu look delicious. Can't wait to try the various courses. What time are we meeting at Kakoiya?

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 14, 2013 at 10:01 pm
Old Mar 15, 2013, 1:42 am

Just noticed the change of venue for the welcome drinks on Thurs., 28th March and gather the Kirin Heartland Roppongi is just around the corner from the Grand Hyatt so only a small relocation. Luckily I quite like Kirin beer so it's a good choice. ^

Also noticed the izakaya venue has been added & menu look delicious. Can't wait to try the various courses. What time are we meeting at Kakoiya?
Well spotted. ^

Since I've been to neither venue I've done some Google Mapping to find how to get there.

Heartland (6-10-1 Roppongi, Roppongi Hills West Walk 1F) or ハートランド (pronounced 'Hah---toh-randoh') is on the street level at the bottom of the Mori Tower below a Zara shop. Here is Roppongi Hills' own map, Google Maps' version, and a Google Street View (my best attempt).

We have the lounge area of the bar reserved for our group between 6-9pm, but the bar is open until 4am! Those aiming to go to Tsukiji on Friday morning might be able to save on a hotel room and start walking/getting a cab straight from the bar. @:-)

Kakoiya (ORE Yurakucho Building 5F, 2-3-5, Yurakucho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo) might be more challenging to find but Google Street View tells me it's on the 5th floor of this building. (Google map). Our booking is between 7-9pm.

Kakoiya Yurakucho 8 course menu (for 3?)

Booking is still open for Saturday's airport/dinner cruise.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 15, 2013 at 2:31 am
Old Mar 15, 2013, 1:52 am
mjm
Original Member

Bit of advice for those going.....

Don't ask for directions to "The Heartland Bar" as it is called simply Heartland. Or to make it easier for any Japanese person of whom you ask directions in English (which is generally fine in Roppongi Hills where the bar is located) call it "Hah---toh-randoh". That is how it pronounced in Japanese characters used for non-Japanese words.

Find the Roppongi Hills plaza where there is a massive sculpture of a spider and from there spot Zara. To the right of Zara as you face it is an escalator and stairs going down one level take that. Hang a u-turn to your left at the bottom and you are there.

4am and later is pretty standard in this area of Tokyo so if you want a change of venue later on, there will be plenty of options.

Get the bartender at Heartland to set up some fun and uniquie shots for the group. They love doing that. Mixed drinks are large and potent compared to the watered down things available in most of Europe and America, so be forewarned you may want to pace yourself. :-)

And lots of food options open all night so if you feel like Chinese, ramen, curry, yakinikku (Korean BBQ), or Western fast food (McD's is right across the street and all are 24h in Tokyo) you are set.

Mike

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Well spotted. ^

Since I've been to neither venue I've done some Google Mapping to find how to get there.

The Heartland Bar (6-10-1 Roppongi, Roppongi Hills West Walk 1F) is on the street level at the bottom of the Mori Tower below a Zara shop. Here is Roppongi Hills' own map, Google Maps' version, and a Google Street View (my best attempt).

We have the lounge area of the bar reserved for our group between 6-9pm, but the bar is open until 4am! Those aiming to go to Tsukiji on Friday morning might be able to save on a hotel room and start walking/getting a cab straight from the bar. @:-)

Kakoiya (ORE Yurakucho Building 5F, 2-3-5, Yurakucho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo) might be more challenging to find but Google Street View tells me it's on the 5th floor of this building. (Google map). Our booking is between 7-9pm.

Booking is still open for Saturday's airport/dinner cruise.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 2:32 am

Thanks, mjm. I've amended my post.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
It's probable that redrick will not be able to come with me. Sigh. We're keeping his airline tickets until the day before departure, but it's not looking good. This is why I've been a little wary of committing to events, because I knew something was up.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Flights should be up by this Sunday evening ... thnks to those who have sent me the information.

If you haven't yet, it is not too late.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by serfty
Flights should be up by this Sunday evening ... thnks to those who have sent me the information.

If you haven't yet, it is not too late.
Just sent my info. BTW - I'm not a maybe. I'm a definite.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
I'm holding a room at the Park Hyatt Tokyo (28/3 to 31/3) on the gift certificate rate. I'm staying at the Regency and am happy for anyone who's without a room to use this one. I'll be cancelling this booking in the next couple of days if I haven't had any interest.

Cheers, and hope to see you all in just under two weeks.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
OK, First cut of flight post here: Tokyo 2013 Do flight list

I had to do some guess work for some, so please check your flights as indicated and advise if changes are due.

St' Patrick's day here in Melbourne and 10 days to go ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.