Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerBeek
next meet-up:

Print Wikipost

The DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Spire Ambassador), and about 114 others, according to AwardWallet.
12/14 Event

I'm all in!
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Folks - some comments on Texas Jack's BBQ and also on Sehkraft.

Since I live a few blocks from both of these new restaurants - some friends were over and we decided to try Texas Jack's - this is their first Sat night open.

I hate to say - but while the food was good at Texas Jack's - we thought the prices were too high. The atmosphere is more diner in nature - and the bar is not really that suitable to hang out. The BBQ prices are:
Beef Brisket - $22/lb. you can buy say 1/2 or 1/4.
Pulled Pork - $18/lb
Beef Short Ribs - $24+ (not sure)
Beef Ribs rack - $50 for a rack of ribs, $27 for a half, and $5.50 for one rib.
No sides are included.
Sides are $8 for a small bowl of fried potatos and $4 for cole slaw - you can share. The cole slaw has green chili peppers - so very hot.

My friends ordered the $50 ribs to share - but the side rack looked small when served - and we thought it was overpriced (although thick ribs) - particularly with no sides. So for 2 people you are talking $100+.

I ordered a pull pork sandwich for $8 and supposed to come with Cole Slaw. But it turns out that is really just about the size of one sider and it is served on a small dinner roll plate. The slaw is just a few pieces of cabbage on top of the minimal amount of pork on a small bun. Beer and wine in the $7 - 9 range.

While good we thought the price was overpriced when compared to place like Rocklands. The service is pretty quick - so one hour is all the time you need to eat. Again more diner type seating.

Texas Jack's was full - but no wait as the tables turned over quickly. So I don't expect a problem for Monday night. They do have a back room area with separate bar and about 6 tables - but you need to reserve it.

Since we felt sort of ripped off - we then walked up to Sehkraft for another beer. Sehkraft is large and was crowded - outside as well - since the weather was 70 today. This gets the Clarendon younger type crowd at night.

As pointed out, Sehkraft's own brews are not operational yet, but the beer they have on tab is good and the menu looks good.

Examples at Sehkraft:
Grouper - $26
Salmon - $24
Airline Chicken Breast with vegetable succotash - $20 (not sure - we eat enough airline chicken)
Pull pork shoulder with two sides included (potato salad & cole slaw) - $12 (this is what I was expecting at Texas Jacks.
BB Beef Brisket with 2 sides - $18
Burger with 2 sides - $12
Steak and Fries - $25
etc.
Other sides for about $6.

Sehkraft is large with a good sized, separate bar area, which is likely more suitable for meeting area.

My thought - we are sort of committed to Texas Jacks BBQ for dinner - so start there, then maybe walk over to Sehkraft for an after dinner beer. So any latecomers could meet up at Sehkraft in the bar. And Sehkraft is on the way to Metro if you come that way.

My suggestion for Texas Jack's is to get say 1 lb of meat for a couple of people and share and share some sides - maybe more family style - so maybe a mix of 2 lbs per 4. The sandwiches are just sampler bits - so if you go that route - maybe get two sandwiches.

Last edited by cova; Dec 12, 2015 at 8:02 pm
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:13 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold
Looking forward to tomorrow. Do we have a room/separate area reserved, or just meeting at the bar?
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by whatupbovice
Looking forward to tomorrow. Do we have a room/separate area reserved, or just meeting at the bar?
I don't think we have a separate room reserved as I our group is not large enough to reserve the back room. I suggest meeting in the right side room along the side bar. To get a big table we may need to get a couple of the high top tables and push together.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
looks like my work schedule is going to get in the way of dinner, but I will likely be able to rendezvous @Sehkraft ~8
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:44 am

Based on the above reviews and the weather forecast, I'll pass. I realy did want to stop by, but I'm not into the latest food fashion which this place seems to be.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We have had a problem and it looks as if we will not be able to make it this evening. Hope all have a great time.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
I'm aiming for an arrival time near 6:45. I'm looking forward to some nice brisket.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:44 pm

I am in the restaurant. Do not see anyone I know yet. At the bar. 7 people here now.

Last edited by cova; Dec 14, 2015 at 5:05 pm
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
anyone heading over toward Sehkraft? I'm about 15-20 min out
845- in the bar watching Caps game

Last edited by jrl767; Dec 14, 2015 at 6:45 pm
Old Dec 14, 2015, 8:53 pm

Well - this turned out to be a very nice event. 8 of us in the restaurant. We opt'ed for family style and that worked out very well. 6 split 3 lbs of meat and 2 large sides - more than enough food. Very good food and it ran $15 per person food/tax, with tip extra.

Then 3 stopped by Sehkraft and we met up with 2 late comers. Nice to meet everyone!
Old Jan 10, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Any thoughts on our first meet-up in the new year? Restaurant Week is the last week of the month… In other news, it looks like Fireworks now takes online reservations! And it seems like a bunch of new restaurants have popped up in Clarendon over the last few months.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Happy New Year, everyone! Rus925 - thanks for the suggestion.

Would there be any interest in Founding Farmers in Tysons Corner?

Although a bit far out for the MD folks, it's metro accessible (2 min walk from Tysons Station) and their 3-course $35 Restaurant Week menu allows one to order any starter and entrée off the regular menu (not to exceed $10 per starter and $24 per entrée). So, there should be a sufficient number of menu options to satisfy everyone's palate.

I can secure a reservation for 10 people on Wednesday, January 27th at 7pm if there's sufficient interest.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm nose-down in proposal work until Fri 29th at least, so a sanity break around 730pm will be MOST welcome pretty much any evening ... my office is now in Ballston (across the street from World of Beer, and a block from Mussel Bar which I seem to recall drew a fairly good turnout last year)
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:37 am
eap

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Would there be any interest in Founding Farmers in Tysons Corner?
I can secure a reservation for 10 people on Wednesday, January 27th at 7pm if there's sufficient interest.
An event out my way? I'm in. I wasn't aware that Founding Farmer's had expanded.

eap

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.