Old Oct 15, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerBeek
next meet-up:

Print Wikipost

The DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I'm marking myself as tentative for now (possible work travel that week).

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: UA Gold MM , AS MVPG , MR LTT, Hilton Dia
Count me in too.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 10:20 pm

Tentative yes.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
I'll be there. FYI, Sehkraft Brewing opened Tuesday, and Texas Jack's now advertises an "early December" opening.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
we drove by Sehkraft Tues ~530pm and Wed ~10pm ... very crowded, both inside and out
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:06 pm

Programs: Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Spire Ambassador), and about 114 others, according to AwardWallet.
I'm in.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:00 am

Went to Sehkraft over the weekend - heads-up that they don't have a full menu yet, and more importantly, they have none of their own beers yet, only "guest brews". Also, it's "family friendly", so it was full of kids, and it is not particularly cozy (think 'cafeteria'...). All in all I would not recommend it for our HH.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Thanks for the scouting report flugvergnugen. It sounds like it would be wise to give Sehkraft some time to settle in before we plan a visit.

Anyone have an update on Texas Jack BBQ? Or any other venue they'd like to suggest?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Originally Posted by gvdIAD
Thanks for the scouting report flugvergnugen. It sounds like it would be wise to give Sehkraft some time to settle in before we plan a visit.

Anyone have an update on Texas Jack BBQ? Or any other venue they'd like to suggest?
Texas Jack's opens at 4 p.m. today, and I'm going to use my work-from-home flexibility to walk over and try to be their first customer. (It'd be neat to have one of the dollar bills in my wallet get framed behind the bar.) Will report back later.

My own timing on the 14th is somewhat in flux. A good friend is having his Hannukah party that night in Alexandria, but Mini DCA writer's early bedtime should have me back in Arlington no later than 8:30.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by gvdIAD
Texas Jack BBQ has two rooms, both with tables. The staff had been working over the weekend to get ready.

The room on the right (old EAT Bar) has a linear bar along the side wall with stools. The place is bright and open with simple tables, but worth a try. Could have drinks along the bar. Then get seated.

I doubt it would be packed on a Monday night - next Monday 14 Dec.

Last edited by cova; Dec 7, 2015 at 7:42 pm
Old Dec 8, 2015, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by cova
Texas Jack BBQ has two rooms, both with tables. The staff had been working over the weekend to get ready.

The room on the right (old EAT Bar) has a linear bar along the side wall with stools. The place is bright and open with simple tables, but worth a try. Could have drinks along the bar. Then get seated.

I doubt it would be packed on a Monday night - next Monday 14 Dec.
I concur--finding enough seats should be no issue.

Since they don't have the menus posted yet, I grabbed a picture of the drinks and food options. As you can see, they are strong in beer (all 12 taps are from local breweries, including two I hadn't even heard of) and bourbon.

(The drink there is a Kentucky Cream Soda, a delicious if unlikely combination of prosecco, vanilla and Woodford Reserve that they were kind enough to offer a taste of.)

I know it's hard to make out the prices in the resized photo, but the per-pound rates range from $18 for the pulled pork to $31 for the short rib.

There's also a bar-snacks menu that includes a burger, fries, nachos and another thing or two, but I didn't get a picture of that.

I didn't have a chance to try the BBQ, but it smelled delicious, and the Texan down the bar from me who had been talking about his favorite Hill Country places gave a thumbs-up to the brisket.

If, OTOH, you want a good wine selection or a lot of vegetarian choices, this is not going to be the place for you.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by DCA writer
... they are strong in beer (all 12 taps are from local breweries, including two I hadn't even heard of) and bourbon. ... There's also a bar-snacks menu that includes a burger, fries, nachos and another thing or two ...

I didn't have a chance to try the BBQ, but it smelled delicious...
thanks for the intel; looks like a good rendezvous spot

Originally Posted by DCA writer
I know it's hard to make out the prices in the resized photo ...
it's resized enough for me to see that they need a proofreader ... it's DICKEL rye, not "Dickle"
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Texas Jack's looks great, but I leave for SIN and KUL early the next morning. I'll have to play it as things work out. Maybe see you all, if not happy holidays.
tom
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Let's go with Texas Jack BBQ as our venue for next Monday. It sounds like it should be able to handle our (variable) numbers, and the food and beverage choices seem decent for our mostly carnivore crowd.

Thanks to cova and DCA writer for the scouting report.

I hope to see many of you next Monday.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
I'm removing my name from 14 Dec Happy Hour. Looks like I need to travel overseas next week for work. Sorry I'll miss everyone again and Happy Holidays!

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.