FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerBeek
next meet-up:

Print Wikipost

The DC Area Happy Hour Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Zaytinya (Turkish for olive oil) is wonderful. A bit pricey for those also enjoying a bit of raki but a good meal.

Originally Posted by jackal
Works for me. I'll defer to those of you who live there, but since we're less than a week out, if no one else responds with a better idea, I'll default to my old stand-by recommendation of Ray's To The Third on Wilson between Courthouse and Rosslyn.

But I'm always one to try a new place over going back to a previous favorite, so by all means, please suggest somewhere else that's also awesome!

ETA: I'm currently going through a Middle Eastern kick, and I had read that Zaytina in Penn Quarter is worth checking out.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Just as an aside, I'm certainly not married to the idea of Zaytina, and actually, I might have a slight preference for something in NoVa if only because I have a friend who has never been to DC before and who likely be arriving to meet me just as lunch is wrapping up. I'd prefer to be able to give her directions to a place not in the middle of the District and then be with her to navigate the Metro to wherever we decide to go sightseeing. But if the group does want to do Zaytina, I'll be quite happy to go along with that--depending on how things work out time-wise with her arrival, I just might need to scoot out a bit early.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:18 am

Shoot, can't make it this weekend. Look forward to the next Happy Hour.

Last edited by Mile-a-holic; Nov 14, 2013 at 9:53 am
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
Alright, I'm back in the country. Let me see what I can come up with. Taking jackel's stated preference for NoVA into consideration, first thoughts include Fire Works Pizza, Toscana Grill, and Cava Mezze, all in the Clarendon-Courthouse area. Anybody have a preference among these? Or a suggestion of something else?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Friend had to cancel her trip down from PIT (classes got in the way--just found out about a big test on Monday she needs to prepare for).

So, I'm back to being free for anything, including Zaytina (no strong preference -- fine either way). Also, this means I'd be perfectly happy with moving it back to a normal/later lunch instead of an early lunch, and if we do that, then I'd probably just come down that morning instead of coming down the night before and having to find a place to stay.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by gvdIAD
Alright, I'm back in the country. Let me see what I can come up with. Taking jackel's stated preference for NoVA into consideration, first thoughts include Fire Works Pizza, Toscana Grill, and Cava Mezze, all in the Clarendon-Courthouse area. Anybody have a preference among these? Or a suggestion of something else?
Wasn't there an earlier suggestion for Ray's to the Third? It's also in the Courthouse area.

If that won't work, I had a very good lunch at a retirement party at Toscana Grill earlier this year.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:56 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
FYI for next time, the Gallery Place stop on the Yellow, Green and Red lines is about 2 blocks away from Zaytinya

Just as an aside, I'm certainly not married to the idea of Zaytina, and actually, I might have a slight preference for something in NoVa if only because I have a friend who has never been to DC before and who likely be arriving to meet me just as lunch is wrapping up. I'd prefer to be able to give her directions to a place not in the middle of the District and then be with her to navigate the Metro to wherever we decide to go sightseeing. But if the group does want to do Zaytina, I'll be quite happy to go along with that--depending on how things work out time-wise with her arrival, I just might need to scoot out a bit early.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Let's go with Zaytinya, tomorrow at 12:45 pm. I tried making an online reservation for a party of 8, but Open Table said there were connectivity issues preventing the completion of the reservation. Let's just plan to show up and wait for a table, if necessary.

Who's in?

jackal
gvdIAD
mhnadel
mot29
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegrailer
FYI for next time, the Gallery Place stop on the Yellow, Green and Red lines is about 2 blocks away from Zaytinya
She wouldn't have any idea how to find a Metrorail station to park at and how to read a system map and find Gallery Place/Chinatown. She's from Alaska--I doubt she's ever ridden a subway in her life.

What's the parking situation like on a Saturday in the Penn Quarter area? It'd shave off some time (and let me sleep in a few more minutes ) if parking is not impossible. Otherwise, I'll probably park at Forest Glen and ride in like I usually do...
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:42 am
Original Poster

What's the parking situation like on a Saturday in the Penn Quarter area? It'd shave off some time (and let me sleep in a few more minutes ) if parking is not impossible. Otherwise, I'll probably park at Forest Glen and ride in like I usually do...
Assuming no major daytime event tomorrow (and I don't know of any, but then again, I just got back from BKK & SIN so I'm not that wired in), there should be plenty of garages with available spaces. You can probably also find on street parking, though you will have to pay for it.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gvdIAD
Assuming no major daytime event tomorrow (and I don't know of any, but then again, I just got back from BKK & SIN so I'm not that wired in), there should be plenty of garages with available spaces. You can probably also find on street parking, though you will have to pay for it.
Thanks. Do District street meters take cards (like the ones in ANC do ), or should I scrounge up a few bucks in quarters?

2h in a nearby garage can be had for $10, so if I don't immediately see street parking, that's what I'll probably do.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Metro notices for Saturday

This weekend: No Yellow Line trains; use Blue & Green instead. Buses replace Green Line btwn Archives & Navy Yard. Red Line every 8-16 min. Orange Line every 20 min. Click for details.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: Enough to travel better
Unfortunately, I have a 1:00 pm appointment at the Verizon Center, not far from Zaytinya. I probably won't have time to have a drink with you all but at least I can say hello and chat with some of you before my appointment.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All right, on my way…with luck, I should be there right at 12:45 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist; AA Platinum Pro; Marriott Platinum
This Sounded Cool

I'll have to come out and meet you guys next time.

Got in early on the Widroe glitch and am hitting up Milan this winter for next to nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.