Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

JOIN IN - OFFICIAL 2011 Secret Santa Extravaganza!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JOIN IN - OFFICIAL 2011 Secret Santa Extravaganza!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Some gifts are already purchased. I know what I'm buying this weekend for the others. What fun! Nothing shipped yet though!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Bought something I hope my recipient agrees is a good fit for him/her. Silly how excited I get wondering if I chose well!
Last year, my Santa chose so expertly, and it has been thrilling to use the present almost every day since then.
However, it was disappointing to wait and wait to hear from my Giftee whether they had received something and whether they liked it at all. We put a lot of thought into it, and loved having several packages delivered, thinking it would be more fun that way. Wharvey eventually let us know that the receiver had received the gifts, but it sure was a bummer signing on every day hoping to see a post from him/her (the recipient) and never hearing anything.
Soooooo, if you receive something and like it, tell us all -- we all love the vicarious thrill. If you are unhappy, then maybe a PM to Wharvey will resolve it. (Like maybe there are more parcels on the way, for example.)

Last edited by slocouple; Nov 9, 2011 at 9:38 pm
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:47 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
SS

One very small item purchased...with their future in mind.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by slocouple
Soooooo, if you receive something and like it, tell us all -- we all love the vicarious thrill. If you are unhappy, then maybe a PM to Wharvey will resolve it. (Like maybe there are more parcels on the way, for example.)
So true. I really try to choose something that my giftee will like and love hear that they enjoy the gift.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 2:57 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Some might argue that running for Talkboard is torturing yourself!!!! (said as a former Talkboard Member!)

Originally Posted by kipper
So not nice!!! Why do people enjoy torturing me???
Old Nov 10, 2011, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Sorry... I never got the original PM... and I dont delete messages this time of year.... I did have an elf run to the North Pole post office... but he could not find it... but he came back with holiday forever stamps sticking all over him!

I did get your resend.

Originally Posted by Catweazle
I'm in!

Although I sent wharvey the message with all questions answered a while ago, and can't see my name on the list and never got a reply. With so many people, it could be that I was just easily missed, so I'll send the message again...
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:49 pm

Programs: Too many
I think in the spirit of gift giving...if people are generous enough to spend their time on buying and shipping a gift to a stranger for a bit of fun, then everyone should appreciate it for what it is...fun and enjoyment.

I have purchased my gifts already and hope he/she enjoys them, but if not, then thats a bit Grinch!
Old Nov 11, 2011, 6:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by wharvey
Some might argue that running for Talkboard is torturing yourself!!!! (said as a former Talkboard Member!)
I think it's worth it. That said, I also don't have a problem torturing myself, but when someone else tortures me, well...
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:35 am
tcl

Location: In a hotel somewhere trying to repack everything I brought (and bought) in to a carry-on smaller than my last one.
Programs: UA, Asia Miles, Southwest, IHG
Pressies are all bought and wrapped Now to figure out how to get them to my recipient

As some of us live on busy street with a lot of pedestrian traffic, I sometimes worry about packages not only being lost but also being stolen off the front step.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by tcl
Pressies are all bought and wrapped Now to figure out how to get them to my recipient

As some of us live on busy street with a lot of pedestrian traffic, I sometimes worry about packages not only being lost but also being stolen off the front step.
If you are concerned about that, you could ask Santa to PM the recipient and inquire if there is another address they could provide (work, a friend or family member) that usually has someone present to sign for deliveries.

I've used different addresses different times, be it that we were going to be somewhere else for Christmas, or that I knew there would be someone there to receive the package.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm in - looks like fun!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 1:10 am

Programs: QF, HH
Originally Posted by kipper
If you are concerned about that, you could ask Santa to PM the recipient and inquire if there is another address they could provide (work, a friend or family member) that usually has someone present to sign for deliveries.

I've used different addresses different times, be it that we were going to be somewhere else for Christmas, or that I knew there would be someone there to receive the package.
You could always write "Do Not Safe Drop" on the parcel. At least, you can in Australia and normally that means if you're not home then they'll take it back to the PO and leave a PO card in your letterbox, which states that you can come and collect it later when you're ready. That way, the don't leave a nice-looking parcel on the front door step.

singtx - an engagement ring?
Old Nov 12, 2011, 10:56 am
Original Poster

As a friendly reminder, I ask peope to try and be thougtful about the gifts they get. I have had people get gifts in the past (myself included) where the gift was originally priced at $30 or so but the price tag showed it was clearance at $5 or $10. No kidding, that actually happened to me.

While people should be appreciative of what they get, I do hope people do not feel they got "cheated".

I have spent several hundreds of dollars over the past few years trying to make people feel whole... that has gotten so expensive that I no longer personally participate in Secret Santa myself.

Help Santa out and make him proud!
Old Nov 12, 2011, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Catweazle
You could always write "Do Not Safe Drop" on the parcel. At least, you can in Australia and normally that means if you're not home then they'll take it back to the PO and leave a PO card in your letterbox, which states that you can come and collect it later when you're ready. That way, the don't leave a nice-looking parcel on the front door step.

singtx - an engagement ring?
I think USPS will do signature confirmation and do something similar.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 9:26 pm

Programs: Too many
Though I only asked for one person initially...I am happy to be sent another one, as my gifts have been purchased and would be happy to buy for someone else also.
PM me if you are short of anyone!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.