Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 12:55 pm

Programs: Continental, BA
Originally Posted by boniam
Thanks for all replies. Does anybody know if it is possible to use fund from a cancelled ticket on continental through a travel agent (i want to book ticket to india)? Thanks
Price through agent was around $75 less. However when i checked yesterday night the continental price was also down $100 and so i booked rightaway. They way i did was i first booked my wife and kid and at the payment page i selected i want to talk to somebody in phone. At that point of time it gave me a confirmation number and said that my reservation will be held for 2 days. Then i went on to change my canceled ticket. I did it online because online it wasn't tagging me $25 expedia transfer fees. I went to change and in the last page it errored out though. It looked like my reservation changed partially but ticket were not issued. I called and they straigten this out. They completed the change (the agent did mention $25 booking transfered fees but waived that) and get teh ETC issued and applied to my other held reservation.

One thing i found that the change flight option didn't show me all flight options available through booking a new reservation option. It was showing costly options. That looks like a nice to have bug for them. I wonder that was deliberate. Also, in an iterneray it showed me the costly class for one of my flight (costly than the ticket that i booked as new reservation). They i selected a particular class and it showed me lower fare. Luckily all my leg were on same class so i could find that fare. But it looked fishy. Can we complain about that. I wonder how many people buy costly flight through change flight option.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks boniam for updating. It is nice to see people coming back to post their results so everyone can benefit from the info. ^

I think your suspicion is on target. You certainly can complain about this, may be using the Contact Us and send your complain to customer relations of CO. See if they would ever reply.

Price through agent was around $75 less. However when i checked yesterday night the continental price was also down $100 and so i booked rightaway. They way i did was i first booked my wife and kid and at the payment page i selected i want to talk to somebody in phone. At that point of time it gave me a confirmation number and said that my reservation will be held for 2 days. Then i went on to change my canceled ticket. I did it online because online it wasn't tagging me $25 expedia transfer fees. I went to change and in the last page it errored out though. It looked like my reservation changed partially but ticket were not issued. I called and they straigten this out. They completed the change (the agent did mention $25 booking transfered fees but waived that) and get teh ETC issued and applied to my other held reservation.

One thing i found that the change flight option didn't show me all flight options available through booking a new reservation option. It was showing costly options. That looks like a nice to have bug for them. I wonder that was deliberate. Also, in an iterneray it showed me the costly class for one of my flight (costly than the ticket that i booked as new reservation). They i selected a particular class and it showed me lower fare. Luckily all my leg were on same class so i could find that fare. But it looked fishy. Can we complain about that. I wonder how many people buy costly flight through change flight option.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 10:48 am

Guys, is that time of the year again I need assistance in finding cheap fares using DL in order to cancel my ticket book last year for Jan 04, 2010 . So far the cheapest I found is SLC-LAS for $102 or so one way. Any DL guru can help? maybe lower it even more... thanks
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by sparkzone
guys, is that time of the year again i need assistance in finding cheap fares using dl in order to cancel my ticket book last year for jan 04, 2010 . So far the cheapest i found is slc-las for $102 or so one way. Any dl guru can help? Maybe lower it even more... Thanks

dtw-stl $70 ai o/w.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, etc
Question Just canceled my Delta itinerary

Thanks everyone who has contributed to this topic! I wish TYN didn't change their rules as I'm back at around 90K TYP

I just called Delta today to cancel my trip. They charged me $150 as expected and told me I have until 1 year after my original ticket purchase date (2/17) to book another flight.

If I book a cheap flight, will the rest of the money expire in a year after re-booking? I can't really plan any travel at the moment - is there a better way to deal with it then wasting the money on the cheapest Delta ticket I can find?
Old Dec 25, 2009, 9:48 pm

Did anybody tried booking one way tickets? they might be cheaper
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:08 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Gold
A bit of a tangential question...

is there any way to pay only partially with a Delta eCertificate? The reason being is that I would like to use my Citi Priority Pass to partially pay for the ticket and then obtain some TYN points from the miles flown.

Thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pykerl

is there any way to pay only partially with a Delta eCertificate? The reason being is that I would like to use my Citi Priority Pass to partially pay for the ticket and then obtain some TYN points from the miles flown.

Thanks!
yes
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:56 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by pykerl

Thanks!
DL told me that I could not use part of my, oh $400 credit or so for a $2xx itinerary and then pay part with a CC - the payment would only come from the credit and leave nothing left to charge. Now my strategy is to keep little chunks of credit for just such an occasion so I can use one of the credits that is somewhat less value than the itin I want to purchase then charge the rest. Moondog, do you have a better way of handling this?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LGA
Moondog, do you have a better way of handling this?
I haven't had any DL vouchers for around 3 months now, but when I did, I often booked flights online and was able to choose the amount of funds that came out of the voucher. I wouldn't be surprised if this functionality no longer exists because a lot of changes have been happening at DL recently.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold
Just cashed out my last 2 with Delta.

Sitting on 8K.

My family and I will never fly enough to use it all in one year and I am too cheap to pay for business.

So, looks like I will be using some and giving some (probably the majority) to several charities that I know pay for flights.

Just wanted to throw that thought out there for people that normally give to charities or are considering it.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can verify this is definitely the case.

I just finished a rebooking against the canceled TYP ticket. Online I could not pick the fare as found under new reservation even though it showed me the identical flights available. Doing it a new booking the fare for FLL-IAH-SFO r/t is 193 before tax and fee, or 232.80 A/I. Using the Change function, the fare jumped to almost $400 before tax, or 435xx A/I. I could not make it to book the fare code I wanted. Ending up using the call function to contact Continental.com support. Unfortunately the agent did not waive the $25 agency fee.

This is a very sleazy act of CO's website to be designed this way.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Happy
Find a NON-refundable itinerary that is slightly above the value of the e-cert. Book it and pay with e-cert and CC, so the outlay on the CC is minimal and if CO fouls up, you would not get too upset.

Call within 24 hours to cancel. The canceled ticket will then show up with details of refund under request.

CC payment refund would show up on your CC about a week or 10 days. A new E-cert with the same amount as the balance before, will come in mail around same time with new expiration date.

DONT book any refundable ticket to complicate the matter.

Yes, if you have 2 vouchers you need to repeat the same process.
Happy or anyone:
Do anyone know about AA? I booked a flight and AA sent me $300 voucher which will expire next month. Should I book a refundable flight or non-refundable flight? Can I use this kind of voucher to book online?

How about UA?

Thank you!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milemission
Happy or anyone:
Do anyone know about AA? I booked a flight and AA sent me $300 voucher which will expire next month. Should I book a refundable flight or non-refundable flight? Can I use this kind of voucher to book online?

How about UA?

Thank you!
AA voucher cannot be used online as it is paper voucher. Though you can book online then call reservation to inform them you are using a voucher. You would get instruction to mail your voucher with reservation to a location in Florida and the ticketing will be done in that office.

No idea about the refundable ticket but have read some posts about this approach to use refundable ticket so next time when rebooking you dont have to pay ticket change fee. In fact some on AA forum consider this is a way to turn the paper voucher to a pseudo e-cert (meaning you now have a refundable ticket that you can rebook against over the phone or at the airport without having to send your voucher to processing center because the latter approach requires some 10 to 14 days lead time.)

No idea about UA and would love to read others experiences.

You may want to post a question on UA forum just to ask if there is any way to extend the life of an expiring UA voucher. (totally leave out the TYP part).
Old Jan 13, 2010, 7:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I've been keeping up with this thread, but as of late I haven't noticed this question and a search didn't bring any desirable results. I would like to have suggestions for a refundable fare on CO for around $360 and another for $260 to extend the life of these remaining balance on 2 vouchers (the rest has thankfully been used up already!). I tried some routes on CO, but only got fares $450 and up. Any and all help is much appreciated from those in the now.

TIA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.