Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wiki/Reviewi For TYN 90K Fixed Redemption Strategies

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2009, 10:19 pm

i've redeemed 90k ticket and cancelled need info

hi
I've redeemed 90k ticket with delta and canceled it so i got a credit on my e-ticket for around $2800.00 and doesn't look like i will fly soon
so my question is as following in order my credit on my ticket should become a voucher so somebody else should be able to use it i first need to make a ticket on my name, thats what i was told by delta a couple of times, do i acutaly need to fly it or i can search for the cheapest flight book it but don't fly and will it still convert into a form of a voucher
thanks for your time
yidyb
Old Oct 13, 2009, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by yidyb
hi
I've redeemed 90k ticket with delta and canceled it so i got a credit on my e-ticket for around $2800.00 and doesn't look like i will fly soon
so my question is as following in order my credit on my ticket should become a voucher so somebody else should be able to use it i first need to make a ticket on my name, thats what i was told by delta a couple of times, do i acutaly need to fly it or i can search for the cheapest flight book it but don't fly and will it still convert into a form of a voucher
thanks for your time
yidyb
That's the way it's worked in the past (i.e. must change to ticket in your own name to unlock value), but a recent conversation with DL suggested they were willing to issue a transferable ecredit from the get-go.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by moondog
but a recent conversation with DL suggested they were willing to issue a transferable ecredit from the get-go.
i wasn't so lucky i was trying to get them to do it but they would not give me the ecredit up front only after a fly but i wasn't able to get a clear answer if i need to fly or not
thanks
Old Oct 14, 2009, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
You don't need to fly but you may need to book a throwaway ticket in your name first. Once you get this ticket, you will be issued an e-credit which can be used in whatever way you want. You can try MEM-ATL which runs around $50.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by gv111
You can try MEM-ATL which runs around $50.
thanks i cant find mem - atl for $50.00 on delta can you give me the dates
thanks
yidyb
Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: All major programs
It used to run $50 for a one way flight MEM-ATL but right now I am unable to find anyhting below $100. Here is one MEM-ATL Feb 23 for $108. It is slighly expensive but it is irrelevant in bigger schema of things especially if you have a large ticket value. Good luck.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by gv111
It used to run $50 for a one way flight MEM-ATL but right now I am unable to find anyhting below $100. Here is one MEM-ATL Feb 23 for $108. It is slighly expensive but it is irrelevant in bigger schema of things especially if you have a large ticket value. Good luck.
Try SLC - LAS it is around 73 dollars. Date I checked is 01/23/2010.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 8:55 am

slc - als $78.00

mistake

i got it for $89.00 after tax
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:30 pm

Programs: aa, onepass, skymiles
DTW-ORD $70

Try DL DTW-ORD, Dec 7, $70
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:22 pm

thanks to all of you

thanks now i got my e-ticket into a voucher and have a couple of thousand thanks again
yidyb ^
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:57 am

UA schedule changed, can I try to cancel my TYP ticket without paying the $150 fee?

Early in Feb, I booked my TYP ticket with UA for a flight in Dec , and I just got a schedule change email. I remember someone said that if I cancel now to get a voucher, I could avoid the $150 fee because of the schedule change? Is it an official rule? I can't find it on UAL.com ....

Also, is that right there is no e-voucher / e-credit with UA and I need to go to airport to cancel the ticket to get a paper voucher (if I don't want the voucher to be mailed)?

Thanks a lot!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susieling
Early in Feb, I booked my TYP ticket with UA for a flight in Dec , and I just got a schedule change email. I remember someone said that if I cancel now to get a voucher, I could avoid the $150 fee because of the schedule change? Is it an official rule? I can't find it on UAL.com ....

Also, is that right there is no e-voucher / e-credit with UA and I need to go to airport to cancel the ticket to get a paper voucher (if I don't want the voucher to be mailed)?

Thanks a lot!
Unless you immediately rebook something (may be a throw-away?), you would risk to have the refund sent back to TYN because in general airlines can only return the fund with change fee waived, to the ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT.

If you rebook some actual trip or throw-away, and UA agree to waive the change fee due to schedule change, the balance will be sent to you.

AFAIK, UA does not do e-voucher on this type of voucher in the past. It is a paper voucher that you either get it at the spot at the airport, or get it mailed to you if you do phone ticketing instead.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Unless you immediately rebook something (may be a throw-away?), you would risk to have the refund sent back to TYN because in general airlines can only return the fund with change fee waived, to the ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT.

If you rebook some actual trip or throw-away, and UA agree to waive the change fee due to schedule change, the balance will be sent to you.

AFAIK, UA does not do e-voucher on this type of voucher in the past. It is a paper voucher that you either get it at the spot at the airport, or get it mailed to you if you do phone ticketing instead.

Thanks Happy!!!

Just a few last questions, if I go to the airport and cancel plus immediately use the value for another throw-away ticket, do I need to do it with certain time limit (30 days?) after the schedule change announcement to take advantage of the waiving change fee (except that obviously I have to go before the travel date)?

Also, if the ticket is purchased for someone else, I have two, one for me and one for my son, is it the case that both persons have to be there in the airport (but my son is minority, so he does not have to sign something, right?)? And the throw-tickets must be in the name of the original flyers (me and my son), correct? After we got the throw-away tickets, the remaining voucher can be used for anyone, which implies that if I choose the phone ticketing plus mail-in option for the remaining voucher, in order to save a trip to the airport, if the voucher is lost in the mail, 'anyone' can use it, right?

Thanks again
Old Oct 22, 2009, 1:57 pm

Programs: Various
I *think* that I understand the rules, but I want to check with others who have already experienced this....

I'm going to the airport tomorrow to cancel my non-refundable ticket on UA and book a new flight for less than the original amount. My understanding is that I will then receive a paper voucher for the remaining amount of the ticket, with a deadline of 1 year from my original booking date (March 2009). If that is all correct, is there any way to then extend that date? I see from earlier posts that the buy-a-new-refundable-ticket route doesn't work on DL - does it possibly work on UA?

Last edited by mechteach; Oct 22, 2009 at 2:11 pm Reason: Clarification of garbled original post!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:22 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by mechteach
I *think* that I understand the rules, but I want to check with others who have already experienced this....

I'm going to the airport tomorrow to cancel my non-refundable ticket on UA and book a new flight for less than the original amount. My understanding is that I will then receive a paper voucher for the remaining amount of the ticket, with a deadline of 1 year from my original booking date (March 2009). If that is all correct, is there any way to then extend that date? I see from earlier posts that the buy-a-new-refundable-ticket route doesn't work on DL - does it possibly work on UA?
Yes, it works on UA. Anytime you use a UA paper voucher, the balance if any will be issued in the form of a new voucher valid for 1-year from that date. Beware that the voucher will be issued in the last ticketed person's name. Be very careful while ticketing in someone elses name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.