Wiki Posts
Search

Citicards 60 day/ one application policy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2009, 3:53 pm

Nope

Originally Posted by JoeJetplane
Ok, to simplify my question,

has anyone been successful with 8 Citi AAdvantage applications in 6 months (3 Personal Amex, 3 Personal MC, 2 Business MC)

Thanks!
Here's how it breaks down:

Every 60 days you can apply for one personal "travel" card (AAdvantage or Hilton) AND one personal "rewards" card (ThankYou or cash back).

Every 90 days you can apply for one business "travel" card (AAdvantage or Hilton) AND one business "rewards" card (ThankYou or cash back).

In a six month period, you could get 3 personal AAdvantage cards, 2 business AAdvantage cards, 3 personal ThankYou cards, and 2 business ThankYou cards.

That's 10 cards total, maximum, five of those being AAdvange 25k cards.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jgstecker
Every 60 days you can apply for one personal "travel" card (AAdvantage or Hilton) AND one personal "rewards" card (ThankYou or cash back).
If that's what you want. But there's certainly been no problem (for me nor many other people who are only interested in real miles) to instead every 60ish* days apply for two personal AAdvantage cards instead. (I alternate MC and Amex just for my own organizational convenience, but Citi cares not whether you simply apply for the same exact MC -- and nothing else -- over and over again.)

From the app perspective, CIit just categorizes "personal" vs "business". They don't count one type of "personal" separately from another type of "personal" as far as this limit is concerned.

*Citi is somehow sloppy about counting to 60, so it's much safer to wait an extra few days. I got rejected once for violating 60 days when I waited "only" 61 days, but once I waited 64 days from the date of the app that was denied, I had no problem applying once again for both an AA MC and an AA Amex within days of each other at that point. (But if someone doesn't know that you have to add a few days to 60 to be on the safe side, I can see how they could get confused about what they're allowed to apply for, especially since Citi isn't particularly willing to spell it out for you.)

I can't speak for business (I never apply for those), but you can certainly apply for at least six AAdvantage 25k cards in about 6 months (the "about" being the fact that you may go a few days over 6 months if you're careful to wait a few days more than 60 each time), if the personal AAdvantage cards are all you're ever applying for.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 1:34 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA

Every 90 days you can apply for one business "travel" card (AAdvantage or Hilton) AND one business "rewards" card (ThankYou or cash back).
I am not sure this is correct - have you successfully applied for TWO business cards within 90 days?

If yes, were they for the same business (using your SS number)? Or do you have 2 seperate businesses each with its own TIN?

If this is correct, this would be new info to me, so appreciate your reply to be as specific as possible (ie, when did you apply, for which cards, etc..)

Thanks and Happy New Year
Old Jan 3, 2009, 6:15 am

In terms of the 60 and 90 day waiting periods, definitely give it a few extra days. I have been denied twice, even after waiting 62 days, with the reason stating that I could only apply once within a 60 day period.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by forextrader
I am not sure this is correct - have you successfully applied for TWO business cards within 90 days?

If yes, were they for the same business (using your SS number)? Or do you have 2 seperate businesses each with its own TIN?

If this is correct, this would be new info to me, so appreciate your reply to be as specific as possible (ie, when did you apply, for which cards, etc..)

Thanks and Happy New Year
Yes, using my own SSN I have successfully received the 15,000 Thankyou point CitiBusiness Visa and the 25,000 mile AAdvantage CitiBusiness Visa simultaneously. This last occurred in September 2008. I've confirmed this policy with a couple of very knowledgeable CSRs as well.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
If that's what you want. But there's certainly been no problem (for me nor many other people who are only interested in real miles) to instead every 60ish* days apply for two personal AAdvantage cards instead. (I alternate MC and Amex just for my own organizational convenience, but Citi cares not whether you simply apply for the same exact MC -- and nothing else -- over and over again.)

From the app perspective, CIit just categorizes "personal" vs "business". They don't count one type of "personal" separately from another type of "personal" as far as this limit is concerned.

I can't speak for business (I never apply for those), but you can certainly apply for at least six AAdvantage 25k cards in about 6 months (the "about" being the fact that you may go a few days over 6 months if you're careful to wait a few days more than 60 each time), if the personal AAdvantage cards are all you're ever applying for.
This is correct. My Citi personal apps are typically two apps on the same day for AAdvantage cards, always approved. (One denial the first time when I tried 3 at once.)

I have always made sure same-day apps are all for different AAdvantage products, and will probably continue to do so to minimize confusion in recordkeeping, but it's interesting that this may not be strictly required.

ivk5
Old Jan 3, 2009, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
*Citi is somehow sloppy about counting to 60, so it's much safer to wait an extra few days. I got rejected once for violating 60 days when I waited "only" 61 days, but once I waited 64 days from the date of the app that was denied, I had no problem applying once again for both an AA MC and an AA Amex within days of each other at that point. (But if someone doesn't know that you have to add a few days to 60 to be on the safe side, I can see how they could get confused about what they're allowed to apply for, especially since Citi isn't particularly willing to spell it out for you.)
Agreed, it pays to err on the side of caution, especially when the price for overeagerness is waiting another ~65 days.

That said, before I knew better, I got lucky and got a pair of apps approved exactly 60 days after previous apps. They're just inconsistent I guess.

ivk5
Old Jan 3, 2009, 3:37 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I'm trying to get about 20K more TYP before the Fixed Flight Redemption option goes away on 3/1/09 per this thread.
Does anybody know how long it takes for points to appear in your TYP account after you open the credit card account and hit the purchase qualifiers?
I'm hoping the points would appear there in, say, 45 days!

Thanks for your input,
Bostonbali
Old Jan 3, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Somewhere earlier in this lengthy thread, a FlyerTalker mentioned that Citi no longer sends out emails telling you if credit card applications were accepted or denied.

I hadn't seen any, but for fun just searched my GMail spam filter. Result: I found those emails.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No. You can have all personal cards being AA cards. There is no need to mess around with TYP card.

TYP will have another big devaluation effective 03/01/09.

Dont know about the business card side. However, as others point out, you can have only AA cards in your mix and Citi does not care.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 3, 2009 at 6:23 pm
Old Jan 3, 2009, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostonbali
I'm trying to get about 20K more TYP before the Fixed Flight Redemption option goes away on 3/1/09 per this thread.
Does anybody know how long it takes for points to appear in your TYP account after you open the credit card account and hit the purchase qualifiers?
Bostonbali
The same date of the statement date for the cycle you met the spending requirement. Posting usually shows up next day, and if it is weekend, a couple more days.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL
I've been churning Citi/AAdvantage cards for a few months now, after getting my first Citi/AAdvantage card about a year ago. I've been hitting one card every 32 days or so (using Excel to keep track). No problem until this last request (last week), when I got this in the email:

"Why we're writing you
Thank you for applying for the Citi Select(SM) / AAdvantage(R)
American Express(R) account.

Here's what you should know
Unfortunately, we are unable to approve the application at
this time because:

o We have recently opened an account for you. This
includes any of your accounts issued by Citibank (South
Dakota), N.A. such as Visa, MasterCard, store cards,
or gas cards. We invite you to apply again after your
account has been open for at least a year.

We appreciate your interest and we hope to have the opportunity
to serve you in the future.

Sincerely..."

Has anyone seen this before? If so, is there any way around it? Is this new?

Since I've had so many accounts with them, I'm not even sure which one should be a year old. The oldest is probably a year or so. The rest are either canceled or will be once the miles post. Any ideas?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shouldn't your spreadsheet tell you?

Originally Posted by Fawxer
I've been churning Citi/AAdvantage cards for a few months now, after getting my first Citi/AAdvantage card about a year ago. I've been hitting one card every 32 days or so (using Excel to keep track). No problem until this last request (last week), when I got this in the email:

"Why we're writing you
Thank you for applying for the Citi Select(SM) / AAdvantage(R)
American Express(R) account.

Here's what you should know
Unfortunately, we are unable to approve the application at
this time because:

o We have recently opened an account for you. This
includes any of your accounts issued by Citibank (South
Dakota), N.A. such as Visa, MasterCard, store cards,
or gas cards. We invite you to apply again after your
account has been open for at least a year.

We appreciate your interest and we hope to have the opportunity
to serve you in the future.

Sincerely..."

Has anyone seen this before? If so, is there any way around it? Is this new?

Since I've had so many accounts with them, I'm not even sure which one should be a year old. The oldest is probably a year or so. The rest are either canceled or will be once the miles post. Any ideas?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by Happy
Shouldn't your spreadsheet tell you?
The oldest one is not quite a year old.

That said, I'm not sure which account they want to be a year old, the oldest one (almost there), or the most recent one I applied for (a month old, which will make it to a year because it will be canceled after the miles post).

That said, that's not really the point of the question.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fawxer
The oldest one is not quite a year old.

That said, I'm not sure which account they want to be a year old, the oldest one (almost there), or the most recent one I applied for (a month old, which will make it to a year because it will be canceled after the miles post).

That said, that's not really the point of the question.
They may want you to have at least a year's of history with them before extend you further credit. It does not matter which card. They want you to have a spending / payment history for at least 1 year old, especially in this environment.

If you dont have a card with an issuer that you use it on a regular basis, but only churn their cards, you will bound to encounter the problem you described, even before the financial crisis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.