Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cit ThankYou Points Devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2009, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by sra13
Can someone help me. I have 60K pts. I'd like to get to 90K but it doesn't seem like it will happen before the fixed pt option expires. Should I just get 3 $400 domestic tickets?

Is there a better option?

Can I pay $50 per 5,000 points I am short, or is that not how this works? I read somewhere where it is is $25 per 1,000 pts, but then $50 per 5,000 if the price exceeds $400.... (my thought is I can pay the additional $ to get to the 90,000 level, would it be worth it?)

Any advise is duly appreciated!
Welcome to FT!
I would open a new account new sign up bonus (20k) unless you already have the maximum number of Citi cards you can have (I believe 3) and buy some points ($25/1000 TYP)
You still have two month so if you are smart about it, I don't think you'll have to buy too many points.
$25 per 1000 pts is to purcharse thank you point and $50 per 5000 is how many thank you point you need if your ticket cost is byond the limit.

For example if you are redeeming thank you points for domestic economy fixed flight option costing $500, you'll have to redeem 20,000 TYP (for $400 limit) and (10,000 additional TYP for additional $100 value above the limit)

I hope this helps.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 3:27 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mesadler
Ugggh.

Time to burn 1,338,937 TYP. Got to plan the next two years worth of travel.
Or:

https://rewards.thankyou.com/b2r/mer...593&storeid=87
Old Jan 3, 2009, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
This will not help much but

I suggest everyone call and file a formal complaint with their respective supervisors at CITI.

I have run the numbers and it is looking like BYE BYE CITI and hello B of A.

For example, on my Chairman card I have earned 450k pts this yr. Now if I wanted a J class ticket to Europe, it would cost me 540k in points at the cap value. So, even after a yr of spend, I still cannot get a J class ticket. Not worth it at all.

I am looking at the B of A Asiana card which gives you 2 miles per dollar and then lets you earn an addtl 1 mile spent at grocery stores. Being a Premier BofA member, I can get one for me and my wife and get and get an Accolades for each one the get the Priority Pass feature with all the fees waived.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:03 am

Has anyone re-confirmed the devaluation and effective date ?
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:03 am

Great Wiki post on the step by step procedures for those redeeming 90,000 for a $2700 ticket, then receiving travel credit should your travel plans happen to change...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...trategies.html
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:27 am

Other fixed business class rates?

Everyone is around TYP 90K - $2700 fixed price domestic redemption, but what are other (higher) options available, are there link somewhere to an official site?

Wiki doesn't have it either...

I know Europe TYP 180K and Middle East 200K exist - what are the caps and what else is there ?

Different amounts will be optimal for different people, especially when not dividable by 90,000

Wow, just get answered in Wiki !!! Now, some info about cancel/change fees for non-domestic please.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by sunil
Has anyone re-confirmed the devaluation and effective date ?
it is going to happen...no need for confirmations
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by anaggie
it is going to happen...no need for confirmations
I'm sure that what we decide in the next few weeks will be different if the devaluation occurs in March vs. say Dec.

So it makes sense to confirm if the information is accurate before acting on it.. common sense if nothing else.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by kair528
Welcome to FT!
I would open a new account new sign up bonus (20k) unless you already have the maximum number of Citi cards you can have (I believe 3) and buy some points ($25/1000 TYP)
You still have two month so if you are smart about it, I don't think you'll have to buy too many points.
Do you think there's still time to get the sign-up bonuses in one's account before the 3/1/09 deadline (really, 2/28/09 in order to play it safe?)
Old Jan 3, 2009, 3:56 pm

I'm sure that what we decide in the next few weeks will be different if the devaluation occurs in March vs. say Dec.

So it makes sense to confirm if the information is accurate before acting on it.. common sense if nothing else.
called Chairman and he read the "flyer" -- so that is pretty good confirmation for me.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 4:00 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by anaggie
called Chairman and he read the "flyer" -- so that is pretty good confirmation for me.
I did the same thing (called Chairman customer service) about 10 minutes ago, and he confirmed everything by reading a script. There is no doubt in my mind this is going down, unfortunately...
Old Jan 3, 2009, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Information posted here has been confirmed multiple times when members called TYN to verify.

You should be Grateful that fellow FTers posted this Heads-Up instead of having a wishful thinking.

Last Major devaluation was first leaked out in April for a July 15 deadline. You have less time this go round.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Do you think there's still time to get the sign-up bonuses in one's account before the 3/1/09 deadline (really, 2/28/09 in order to play it safe?)
Sure, if you get approved on time and meet the spending requirement by the first statement date which is 2 or 3 days before 02/27. Need to give a couple days for the pts to transfer to TYN.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 5:55 pm

Absolutely grateful to those that posted this information.. I've just been around long enough to "Trust but Verify"
Old Jan 3, 2009, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neophyte
Everyone is around TYP 90K - $2700 fixed price domestic redemption, but what are other (higher) options available, are there link somewhere to an official site?

Wiki doesn't have it either...

I know Europe TYP 180K and Middle East 200K exist - what are the caps and what else is there ?

Different amounts will be optimal for different people, especially when not dividable by 90,000

Wow, just get answered in Wiki !!! Now, some info about cancel/change fees for non-domestic please.
The information is on TYN website under reward / travel. You can easily look it up yourself. There are also multiple posts on this thread offering the table, as well as the link on TYN.

There is a reason why 90K is the optimal because the value cap is realistic.

If you need to find out more that suits your own need, then you need to do your own work by look it up on TYN site because the Wiki is for the most optimal achievable value for the majority of people.

Do your own legwork!

Go try the Europe and Middle East ticket values - you would win a lotto if you can find something below the value cap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.