Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
For anyone saying AA must be doing some sort of analysis on the profitability of a customer before shutting them down, do you have any proof before you decide people must be lying?

I think it’s much more likely the direction is to shut anyone down with 3+ SUBs in a 12 month period, no other criteria. I also doubt that there was a ton of legal analysis done, it’s unlikely they even had more than a 30 minute meeting with corporate counsel on the matter. If it’s not a blatant violation of the law then they’re doing it.
Proof of analysis? No. But, many people have multiple SUBs with different cards and not shut down. Having sat in lots of board rooms, there was certainly a good amount of analysis before this was done, including total cost/benefit. You are essentially firing clients, some with decent spend. Before you do that, you make sure you have your ducks in a row and cover the potential fallout, both pr and legal.

Proof of lying? Yes. Read the threads. So many posters contradict themselves or later add information and defend the action. Many have gone from "did nothing wrong" / "what did I do wrong"... to defend what they did ("no rules against using signups from other people" / "multiple SUBs from the same card" / etc) Not judging them... but it is clear who AA is targeting.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is just as easy for AA to terminate as to lock. A few extra keystrokes and a different email. Given that nobody wants to do extra work, there must be a reason that accounts are generally locked for a period of time before termination and there are accounts which have been locked for a good long while and not terminated. Whatever the reason is isn't worth speculation because nobody here can affect that process.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not only are the names all 100% fake (years ago they weren't) but they are rotated quite often and the gender in a few cases reversed. A few are oblique literary references, etc.
Is the name "Martin Graham" a reference to the 1989 Graham v American Airlines case? In the suit she alleges that, among other things, a coworker with the last name Martin had sexually harassed her. She also lost on all counts.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal.../1494/1877658/

Edit: Doing some more research on this and it gets interesting. There were two other Graham V AA cases and the lawyer claimed fraud, AA got mad, and the state bar sued the lawyer. https://caselaw.findlaw.com/ok-supre...t/1387211.html

Last edited by sethMCOflyer; Feb 5, 2020 at 11:18 am
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:36 am
formerly atomicfront

Here is a case where America Airlines settled by giving the plantiffs $45 Million dollars. I expect similar results in this case:

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...618-story.html

"American Airlines said it settled its involvement in the lawsuit to avoid lengthy and costly litigation.“So while it is difficult to agree to a settlement when we believe we’re right on the law and the facts, settling this case is a prudent decision for American,” the airline said."
rover4618 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Are you suggesting that there is a potential civil anti-trust claim here?
JonNYC, Often1 and akr1970akr like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by mia
While FT is known for analogies which are not analogous in the least, this one is somewhere up there.
IAD_flyer likes this.

Last edited by mia; Feb 5, 2020 at 12:57 pm
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, I have strong anti-trust of AA. That's what anti-trust means right?
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
From what I remember, they had a link to terms. If you followed the link, the terms had the language.

This discussion probably belongs in the discussion about offers; this is not relevant to shutdowns.
Well you brought up applying for the card in this thread so ..............but anyway the emailers THAT WORKED had no such language. People tried emailers that didn't work.

When you apply and are denied the bonus ( probably a good thing) you can verify.

Also didn't you say you never used any emailers and your account is still open............did you just scan the terms out of boredom, lol
cheaptom likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Also didn't you say you never used any emailers and your account is still open............did you just scan the terms out of boredom, lol
I never said I didn't use emailers
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
The adverse action began in December just about a month ago. It is still ongoing. People are just beginning the administrative complaint process. And you are thinking it is odd that that nothing has been filed in court? How, exactly, do you think the legal system works?

As far as we can tell, AA is cancelling all accounts with 4 or more SUBs in a 24 month period and, it appears, household members with less than that. That's your class.
1 Citi personal + 1 business + 1 Barclays personal + 1 business within 24mo is legitimate, no? That's not me, but just for argument's sake.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by AbyssalLoris
1 Citi personal + 1 business + 1 Barclays personal + 1 business within 24mo is legitimate, no? That's not me, but just for argument's sake.
That's me, and I'm not closed.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31870446-post934.html
AbyssalLoris, Global321 and Robl like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Barclay bonuses do not seem to be factoring into the criteria. This is consistent for the codename of the operation being "Citi2019." We don't have enough information to know if it comes down to having SUBs from the same Citi AA card (which in this case 99% of the time is AA Platinum or AA Business Platinum) or just Citi SUBs in general.
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:48 pm

[deleted]

Last edited by billybayswater; Jul 13, 2020 at 11:56 am
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:50 pm

Got a new physical mailer today. No not AA but Delta 70k with no lifetime language. DOC https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ymmv-...time-language/ has discussed this ad nauseum. I've had 2 personal and 2 business Delta SUBs in the past 3 years. If I don't get a pop-up from Amex I may go for another. Many, many people taking advantage of this and it is Delta sending out the mailers. Yet not a hint of Delta shutting down the accounts. Just a warning not to close the accounts in less than a year or spend and return items.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by billybayswater
Barclay bonuses do not seem to be factoring into the criteria. This is consistent for the codename of the operation being "Citi2019." We don't have enough information to know if it comes down to having SUBs from the same Citi AA card (which in this case 99% of the time is AA Platinum or AA Business Platinum) or just Citi SUBs in general.
Ok. Here's my AA activity, all within the last 2 years...maybe it will help you or others in their investigative work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.