Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:51 pm

Sounds like those emails were signed through misrepresentation!
Robl likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:15 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by OssianBlue
This is a response to a federal agency, not a consumer response.
Arguably not. The DOT requires the airline to reply to the consumer...

A Transportation Industry Analyst will forward your complaint to the airline and the airline will be required to provide you with a response. The analyst will ask the airline to provide a copy of the response to DOT only if it falls under one of the areas DOT enforces. The DOT analyst will then review the case to determine whether a violation occurred. If your complaint does not appear to fall under any of the laws that we enforce, it will still be logged in our database
https://cms8.dot.gov/airconsumer/fil...umer-complaint

In any event, this is not a game of gotcha. Please explain how you are materially disadvantaged if you do not know the legal name of the clerical person who responded to the DOT inquiry.
notquiteaff and Global321 like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:31 pm

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 7:11 pm
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
It also goes to the issue of AA's bad faith dealing as a data point in a small claims action.
It’s “bad faith” for AA to preclude angry and potentially dangerous people from tracking down its employees via Google searches?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:44 pm

No longer relevant.
rover4618 likes this.

Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:47 pm
Suspended

1. AA supplies a farcially unjustified reason for cancellation to a consumer
  2. AA supplies a marginally less farcially unjustified reason for a cancellation to a consumer and to a Federal agency with a fake name.
But, yeah, no biggie.
I still don’t see how the name part helps your cause. You already admitted to trying to find the person named in the DOT letter, which is exactly why the name isn’t real.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:52 pm

No longer relevant.

Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:02 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It also goes to the issue of AA's bad faith dealing as a data point in a small claims action.
Allowing employees to use an alias to protect their privacy does not seem (to me) to be persuasive evidence of bad faith. AA's lawyers would know the precedents and regulations, but I do not. In any event it was established before Christmas that the AAdvantage terms explicitly disclaim any duty to deal in good faith. Showing a small claims magistrate that they are, indeed, following their own terms doesn't seem (to me) that it would be important in determining if a consumer is entitled to compensation.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:02 pm

Filing a document with a government agency signed by a fake name would certainly appear to be a problem. However, if this is AA's long-standing practice, the DOT most likely doesn't care. A judge might care more, for example, if you list a number of AA misrepresentations, add the name to the list, but first make sure it really is a fake name. A possibly useful litigation phase is "upon information and belief ..."

This is probably more of something that might make them look bad than anything of real consequence.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by richarddd
Filing a document with a government agency signed by a fake name would certainly appear to be a problem. However, if this is AA's long-standing practice, the DOT most likely doesn't care. A judge might care more, for example, if you list a number of AA misrepresentations, add the name to the list, but first make sure it really is a fake name. A possibly useful litigation phase is "upon information and belief ..."
It’s hard to imagine a judge, of all people, will be sympathetic to someone complaining they can’t easily get in direct contact with someone with whom they are angry, particularly when that person is just doing their job.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
It’s hard to imagine a judge, of all people, will be sympathetic to someone complaining they can’t easily get in direct contact with someone with whom they are angry, particularly when that person is just doing their job.
Providing inaccurate information on a form filed with a US government agency is how I'd characterize it. If AA doesn't want to include someone's name, just sign the filing AA or AA Corporate Security or whatever else they want. That would protect privacy without using a fake name.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by richarddd
Providing inaccurate information on a form filed with a US government agency is how I'd characterize it. If AA doesn't want to include someone's name, just sign the filing AA or AA Corporate Security or whatever else they want. That would protect privacy without using a fake name.
But that’s the thing: How would a person be in a position to claim the name on the form is inaccurate without essentially admitting to have searched for that person, which is exactly why aliases are used? Going down this road in a court case seems like setting a trap for oneself.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:40 pm

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 7:10 pm
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:56 pm

"The e-mail response from AA was non-substantive. I sent an e-mail to the person who responded to DOT with no response using the AA e-mail naming protocol. When I investigated it turns out no one in the US has that name."
Out of an abundance of caution...
For the safety of our employees...
To protect our employees from online bullying/harassment...

We use aliases when responding to consumers.

I think a judge would find that pretty reasonable, Mr./Mrs. OssianBlue... or wait... is that an alias to protect you from online bullying/harassment/for your safety/out of an abundance of caution?
Old Feb 7, 2020, 3:58 pm

"The e-mail response from AA was non-substantive. I sent an e-mail to the person who responded to DOT with no response using the AA e-mail naming protocol. When I investigated it turns out no one in the US has that name."
that is a non-issue imo (fake names).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.