Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:05 am

AA do not allow me to open new AAdvantage account . How do I receive miles offer from AA ? . I think AA will send the offer miles to terminated account . I will buy the wines to get 5000 bonus miles from AA .

Last edited by bayareas; Jan 30, 2020 at 11:20 am
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bayareas
AA do not allow me to open new AAdvantage account . How do I receive miles offer from AA ? . I think AA will send the offer miles to terminated account . I will buy the wines to get 5000 bonus miles from AA .
If you use an AA account number that you know has already been terminated, you're not going to have much of a case.

Obviously, marketing offers aren't updated in real time.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Make sure to include that information in your DOT complaint. AA continues to make you offers that they will not honor.

Get real, I dont know of any company that can shut down its pipeline 1-2-3 , now if in a few weeks promos keep coming then maybe.The maybe is since Im sure lists are sold to 3rd partys and it will take longer till thats taken care of..

Ive had Chase send me offers like crazy and yet I know I cant get them, no big deal.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:55 am
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by joe_miami
AA and Citi are two of the deepest-pocketed companies on the planet. If one or both are, indeed, guilty of “theft,” there would be no reason to set one’s expectations at recouping only “something” before the battle even started.

If someone steals $100 from me, I try to get $500 from him. I don’t merely hope to recover $25 or $50. Letting thieves keep any part of what they stole merely incentivizes more thievery.
LOL on AA and Citi being two biggest deep pocketed companies on the planet. AA was in bankruptcy recently and Citi was darn near close to it. AA isn't doing so great. Probably the reason for them going after peoples Frequent Flyer accounts in the first place. Trying to keep their heads above water.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by catsfroggy1
LOL on AA and Citi being two biggest deep pocketed companies on the planet. AA was in bankruptcy recently and Citi was darn near close to it. AA isn't doing so great. Probably the reason for them going after peoples Frequent Flyer accounts in the first place. Trying to keep their heads above water.
LOL, indeed. AA and Citi have billions upon billions in hard assets that could be attached after a judgment. The idea that lawyers might not be suing because they're afraid they won't get paid is comical.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:17 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I mean, nowhere in this article is the value of their great lawyers mentioned.
I think this sums it up pretty well:

"While the U.S. airline industry has been more stable over the past 10 years than it has been in decades, history proves that the level of cost disadvantage which AAL now has relative to its competitors has always resulted in bankruptcy reorganization, sale of assets, or cessation of operations."
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by Often1
Bottom line, the plaintiff's lawyer finds 2-3 "lead plaintiffs" and that is what it takes to file the suit. There is no state where it's illegal to run an ad. Just take a look at the mesotelioma ads and the ones which start with, "if you took Drug X for more than 6 months, you may have money coming your way. Call ...."
That I can google "aadvantage shutdown" and get no ads on google (no adblockers installed) is telling.

Either the class action bar is unaware of these (in which case they don't read the WSJ etc.), or they've decided it's not worth a class action (i.e. the expected recovery is not worth the expected effort).
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:11 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by hhdl
That I can google "aadvantage shutdown" and get no ads on google (no adblockers installed) is telling.

Either the class action bar is unaware of these (in which case they don't read the WSJ etc.), or they've decided it's not worth a class action (i.e. the expected recovery is not worth the expected effort).
Perhaps they don't know the scope of this. If there are 10,000 people affected by this and they averaged having a $10,000 loss. That is $100 million potential reward. AA just reduced its litigation reserve by $53 million. They might want to put that money back into the reserve.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Perhaps they don't know the scope of this. If there are 10,000 people affected by this and they averaged having a $10,000 loss. That is $100 million potential reward. AA just reduced its litigation reserve by $53 million. They might want to put that money back into the reserve.
At those numbers, you just made AA's case for the shutdowns.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by hhdl
The AAdvantage compaign is still in progress, and the class action experts should have no interest to interrupt it prematurely. The larger the damage, the higher their fees. Have patience and let it play out.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MaxVO
The AAdvantage compaign is still in progress, and the class action experts should have no interest to interrupt it prematurely. The larger the damage, the higher their fees. Have patience and let it play out.
There's no chance that an announced lawsuit would "interrupt [this] prematurely," since AA undoubtedly lawyered this action in advance. The guys at AA Corp Sec didn't just decide to do this on their own.
Often1 and Richard Berg like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:32 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by joe_miami
At those numbers, you just made AA's case for the shutdowns.
Yeah big corporations often steal from the little guy. That is why class action lawsuits exist.

Last edited by mia; Jan 30, 2020 at 1:33 pm Reason: Remove personal remarks.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yeah big corporations often steal from the little guy. That is why class action lawsuits exist.
Not sure anyone, even the most aggrieved terminated account holder, gets to make the "little guy" argument when it comes to churning for free air tickets to Asia & Europe. But, if you think it works, all the best.
notquiteaff, TWA884 and Visconti like this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Not sure anyone, even the most aggrieved terminated account holder, gets to make the "little guy" argument when it comes to churning for free air tickets to Asia & Europe. But, if you think it works, all the best.
That's the main problem here for the people who want to sue. Unless some lawyer can convince AA it committed a clear violation of law such that AA almost has to settle, no jury is going to sympathize with people who were getting 70,000 AA miles every month or two by clicking a link and applying for a CC, and that's before getting to the AA accounts for pets and the hacked codes. The average AA member never accrues enough miles to take a single transoceanic flight in J, let alone multiple such trips in the span of a few years.
Global321 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 2:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I think one of the larger issues, with class action litigation, is identifying who the members of the class will be before you move forward.

Will those that bought electronic application codes for $30-50 be included?

Will those that created multiple fictitious AA accounts for the sole person of generating credit card applications mailers that, once used on line, could have the name of the applicant changed to a real person, be included?

Will those that used mailers directed to friends and family, but not to them, be included?

Do you want all these groups in your class when you have to convince a judge/jury how everything was done legitimately and within the rules? Is it worth tossing these groups to the side of the road to better preserve the rights of those who applied using applications mailed to them or applications made via public websites that anyone could use? Will be interesting "who" the class represents when it reaches the point of being certified by a court.
notquiteaff and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.