Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wyogold
Related discussions in other Flyertalk forums:

AA potentially closing accounts due to credit card churning/churn

How to know if you're locked: (as of 12/22/2019)

- Call in to aadvantage reservations (800-882-8880) If you locked, you'll be forwarded to customer service instead of getting to the automated reservations system
- If you want to stay on the line, ask CSR if your account is locked (you tried to make a reservation but it wouldn't let you). CSR will inform you there's a note on your account and that corporate security will contact you
- Try to make a reservation for a super cheap hotel through useaamiles.com. There are 1000 miles / night hotels in New Delhi, so at worst you'll risk 1K miles. If you're locked, you'll see "Unable to process points. Please call our customer service for assistance."

So far, nobody seems to have gotten unlocked and gotten access to their miles back. Accounts with upcoming travel seem to be the ones that are getting terminated at the highest rate.
Print Wikipost

AA accounts restricted (Nov/Dec 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Why would anyone care if their bosses know? Everyone at work is well aware of the games that I play to get miles. Some co-workers do it as well. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Using offers intelligently is a sign of intelligence. Intelligence is a sought-after quality in an employee.
I don’t see many people using their real names here (or at Reddit). For that matter, I can’t remember if it was in this thread or the one in the AA forum, but the mods said they were aware of people using multiple screen names just so they wouldn’t have to out themselves as churners from their main FT account. You might not care, but plenty of people apparently do.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:21 pm

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 7:14 pm
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OssianBlue
Sent my locked account an offer to buy miles a couple of weeks back.

Better believe that's gonna be in my complaints and SCC filing.
Did they actually sell you miles post-lockdown but then refuse to allow you to use them? If not, this won’t get you anywhere.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
I don’t see many people using their real names here (or at Reddit). For that matter, I can’t remember if it was in this thread or the one in the AA forum, but the mods said they were aware of people using multiple screen names just so they wouldn’t have to out themselves as churners from their main FT account. You might not care, but plenty of people apparently do.
People are hiding their identity from AA, not from their employer.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
People are hiding their identity from AA, not from their employer.
Why would they need to hide their identity from AA if they’ve done nothing wrong and have, as I believe you put it, a “slam dunk” theft case against AA? People won’t be allowed to sue AA as John Does.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would they need to hide their identity from AA if they’ve done nothing wrong and have, as I believe you put it, a “slam dunk” theft case against AA? People won’t be allowed to sue AA as John Does.
People who have not yet been shut down are hiding their identity from AA, to protect themselves from AA's predatory actions.

I never used the term "slam dunk".
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Why would they need to hide their identity from AA if they’ve done nothing wrong ....
How would I know if I have done anything wrong if AA has not revealed their criteria? Much of the value of legal action would be discovery which could require AA to document the criteria they are using to close accounts. Accounts closed by misapplication of the criteria would then have a basis to seek reinstatement.
Happy, sdsearch, isle-hawg and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
How would I know if I have done anything wrong if AA has not revealed their criteria? Much of the value of legal action would be discovery which could require AA to document the criteria they are using to close accounts. Accounts closed by misapplication of the criteria would then have a basis to seek reinstatement.
This entire ordeal boils down to people who were well aware of Citi’s AA bonus restrictions doing things to evade said restrictions. For at least the past two years, which seems to be the timeframe being used by AA, nobody innocently clicked links they saw at AA or Citi, got bonus after bonus for the same card, and then suddenly woke up one day to find their AA account locked or terminated.

This thread is two months old and over 2,000 comments long, and there still hasn’t been a single claim of someone being shut down by AA without having gotten duplicate bonuses for the same card.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 3:59 pm

No longer relevant.

Last edited by OssianBlue; Jul 6, 2020 at 7:14 pm
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:03 pm
Suspended

A P2 with a biz and personal, both from public links, has been shut down.
No doubt the “P2” was guilty by association with an offending P1, probably vía redemptions, which commonly happens when Chase and other banks shut people down.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, UR is a cash ticket earns miles, etc.

The cancellation was for a flight purchased with a voucher that was generated from that UR flight.
You mean a bump voucher or a residual value of a canceled flight (the UR flight) voucher? Even it is booked with a bump voucher or the residual value voucher, the cancellation is definitely a valid DOT complaint.

Last edited by Happy; Jan 31, 2020 at 4:17 pm
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:17 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This entire ordeal boils down to people who were well aware of Citi’s AA bonus restrictions doing things to evade said restrictions.
It apparently boils down to AA trying to disallow decisions made by their co-brand partner Citibank, but we cannot even be sure of that because AA has not revealed their criteria. I admire the perseverance of those who have tried to reverse engineer the criteria, but there may be more to it than X card bonuses in N months.
MaxVO, LWT3, IAD_flyer and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Excellent explanation!
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mia
It apparently boils down to AA trying to disallow decisions made by their co-brand partner Citibank, but we cannot even be sure of that because AA has not revealed their criteria. I admire the perseverance of those who have tried to reverse engineer the criteria, but there may be more to it than X card bonuses in N months.
More so than X number of bonuses, duplicate bonuses on the same card seems to be a big part of it, if not the key part. People could innocently have received four or five separate bonuses, given the multiple personal and biz cards and two separate issuers, but there haven’t been any reports of such people getting locked down.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You mean a bump voucher or a residual value of a canceled flight (the UR flight) voucher? Even it is booked with a bump voucher or the residual value voucher, the cancellation is definitely a valid DOT complaint.
Bump voucher. Poster has now said the ticket was reinstated.
mia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.