Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit September 2019 and beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of the previous version of this benefit (July 2017 - August 2019) is HERE.

Effective September 1, 2019 bookings for the 4th night benefit must be made exclusively by visiting thankyou.com or calling 1 800 THANKYOU. Citi Concierge will no longer handle new 4th night benefit bookings but will continue to support bookings made prior to September 1, 2019. To utilize your benefit through our online travel site, and/or have the option to use your ThankYou points, please visit thankyou.com, select travel in the top menu bar, select hotels, choose hotel designated as “Complimentary 4th Night Eligible”, book at least 4 nights, see savings at checkout.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit September 2019 and beyond

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:06 am

The Citi 4th free benefit for new bookings now is relevant only when staying at some hotel that:

1) doesn't really discount their rates ever
2) offers little or no benefit for a direct booking (i.e. no meaningful rewards program)
3) is available for OTA booking at ThankYou.com

I recently priced out a boutiquey property in Provincetown on ThankYou.com that offered a legit 25% savings with no downsides. Even CheapTickets ongoing discount codes for 16% off were not working at this property. Exceedingly rare scenario all around.
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT; UA PLT
This is my first time using the TYP portal to book a 4NF hotel (RIP concierge bookings!), and I'm looking in Las Vegas in early April, but the strange thing is that a number of options are showing $0 in tax, just the base rate. From my non-lawyerly reading of the T&Cs, it seems like Connexions is on the hook for whatever taxes are (I understand that resort fees are separate and I'll owe those directly to the property when I arrive). Is this the case, meaning whatever I prepay now is my final cost except for resort fees and incidentals on property? If so, the TYP portal is a better deal than direct booking. If not and if I also have to pay taxes when I arrive, booking direct is a better deal.

Even stranger is that some hotels have an option for $0 taxes as well as options with taxes on the same room types... The UI for looking at room types is confusing and terrible, but it seems like a number of posters have commented on that already!
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:29 pm

When you all book the 4th night free perk, what does your receipt show? Do you literally get a free night that shows up as $0, or do you get a credit on your account, or does the three night cost average out among four night? How does the accounting work when the dust settles? Thanks!!
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by dkerr
I think the answer is no. Before Citi changed to require booking through their online portal you could call the concierge and request any hotel anywhere. But now we can only select from those hotels available through the ThankYou.com booking engine. I searched French Polynesia / Tahiti / Moorea / Bora Bora and for something in the price range of The Brando only the St Regis Bora Bora and Four Seasons Bora Bora showed up.

DAK
This may be a function of distance from the hotel to the searched destination. There seems to be a cut off at 30 miles. Anything outside that range and it will not be listed as an option. I could not find any destination closer than that to the Brando. Another example: Park Hyatt Maldives. Found it looking for GKK Kooddoo but not so looking for Male, MV. North Island also seems to not be bookable for the same reason.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:47 am

Hey all, longtime lurker and it feels good to become a part of finally! Starting to plan an engagement trip in 2021 and narrowing down places. Part of the Amex and chase program with the CSP and Amex Gold and looking into the Citi Prestige for the 4th night free benefit. Is there anywhere I can look to see what hotels are offered and the possible pricing BEFORE committing to the big annual fee?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:48 am

my advice is to use Expedia.com and take off 25% of the pre-tax amount shown (on a 4-night stay) to approximate.

see my earlier post number 136 - you are seriously unlikely to find value here. better to stay a chain and earns points in their rewards currency. or stay in a non-chain & use a CheapTickets 16% off code plus TopCashBack. or stay in a non-chain luxury property & use AMEX FHR or Virtuoso (self-service at ClassicTravel). or Hotel.coms with their in-house rewards program combined with a CapitalOne card and TopCashBack. or Hotwire/Priceline.
akr1970akr and Ginger2016 like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:06 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

Originally Posted by Ginger2016
Found the answer to my question. "The biggest downside to booking through the ThankYou portal is that you won’t be able to apply your hotel loyalty membership. For most hotels, you also won’t be able to receive your elite status perks – including late checkouts or free breakfast. Since you are limited to rates available on the ThankYou Travel Portal, you can’t utilize any additional promotions, such as AAA or military discounts."
People used to say that if you call and book (instead of online), then status would be recognized. Is that still valid?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:52 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by beachfan
You can use the concierge to change previously made bookings. I made about 20 before the switchover, as long as the confirmation number remains the same, I will still get the 4th night free (as well as elite credits). I just changed the dates successfully for one, but I couldn't use an updated rate now that it dropped $50 (that would involve cancel and rebooking and therefor not eligible for fourth night free).

They usually request the folio from the hotel (or from me), that will show the middle night if they are looking for it. Question is whether they will look for it.

If I get the 4th night free, it's on a reservation at $359 per night. If I cancel it and rebook (to take advantage of the lower rate), I will pay four nights at $311 (plus tax). So it's an extra cost of $58 per night for four nights if it isn't honored (call it $232, ignoring tax), vs. saving ($358-3x$57=$187 ignoring tax).
I've got a booking at an Aman resort that I made prior to the switchover, I'ld like to keep the same rate type; however switch the dates (which would involve a rate change though). Any thoughts if this will fly?

Thanks
FDW
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I've got a booking at an Aman resort that I made prior to the switchover, I'ld like to keep the same rate type; however switch the dates (which would involve a rate change though). Any thoughts if this will fly?

Thanks
FDW
Based on a recent change I did for Aman Venice, my guess is the answer is yes. I changed the rate type, but not the dates, but the agent was adamant that any change which kept the same confirmation # would be fine. She worked directly with the hotel to ensure the conf # did not change.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:49 pm
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Based on a recent change I did for Aman Venice, my guess is the answer is yes. I changed the rate type, but not the dates, but the agent was adamant that any change which kept the same confirmation # would be fine. She worked directly with the hotel to ensure the conf # did not change.
That's what I want to hear! did you call in or email?

thanks
Old Jan 12, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
That's what I want to hear! did you call in or email?

thanks
I called in and lucked out with a fantastic agent - good luck! Would recommend HUACA in case they seem unsure.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by dcaiadflyer
This is my first time using the TYP portal to book a 4NF hotel (RIP concierge bookings!), and I'm looking in Las Vegas in early April, but the strange thing is that a number of options are showing $0 in tax, just the base rate. From my non-lawyerly reading of the T&Cs, it seems like Connexions is on the hook for whatever taxes are (I understand that resort fees are separate and I'll owe those directly to the property when I arrive). Is this the case, meaning whatever I prepay now is my final cost except for resort fees and incidentals on property? If so, the TYP portal is a better deal than direct booking. If not and if I also have to pay taxes when I arrive, booking direct is a better deal.

Even stranger is that some hotels have an option for $0 taxes as well as options with taxes on the same room types... The UI for looking at room types is confusing and terrible, but it seems like a number of posters have commented on that already!
I just got back from a portal book 4NF stay where we were supposed to pay a resort fee upon check in. Interestingly, we were not charged, and when we checked out - when I assumed the front desk would catch that - they just said it was all pre paid and we didn't owe anything. Things were a little chaotic at the hotel - we never got a formal statement/bill or anything - so it could have just been there general cluelessness.

Most of the time all the glitches go against us, when we have pre paid stays, and the hotel then bills us again after checking out.....
dcaiadflyer likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 1:53 am

Worth a try!

Separately, The Brando is no longer part of the 4th night free program.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tonywush
If it's Marriott, just go ahead and change the rate yourself (assume date remains the same) via Marriott app or website. I have done this a number of times and always gets 4th night reimbursed without issue (except for longer delay sometimes). This trick also works for scenarios where you filed Best Price Guarantee claim(or LNF as per Marriott) , or if you want to upgrade to Breakfast rate. The best thing about BRG scenario is that SOMETIMES Citi will reimburse you pre-BRG rate
Do you think this would work with other hotel chains? I have a 4th night free reservation at a Radisson under a flexible rate. If I change the reservation myself on the Radisson website (same dates), can I book a lower price at a non-refundable rate that includes breakfast? Do you think I'd still get the 4th night free?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:43 pm

so with the fact the 4th night booking is via the citi site. Has anyone had any luck at getting their member benefits applied to a booking?

Marriott?
Hilton?
ihg?
Hyatt?
Others?

I want to book, but with citi's change, I feel there's no point doing it with a hotel I have status with, but that sorta nixes most of my bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.