Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit September 2019 and beyond

Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of the previous version of this benefit (July 2017 - August 2019) is HERE.

Effective September 1, 2019 bookings for the 4th night benefit must be made exclusively by visiting thankyou.com or calling 1 800 THANKYOU. Citi Concierge will no longer handle new 4th night benefit bookings but will continue to support bookings made prior to September 1, 2019. To utilize your benefit through our online travel site, and/or have the option to use your ThankYou points, please visit thankyou.com, select travel in the top menu bar, select hotels, choose hotel designated as “Complimentary 4th Night Eligible”, book at least 4 nights, see savings at checkout.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit September 2019 and beyond

Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by ncsuactor84FT
Is it possible to make a booking with 4th night free and select a different room than what you see on thankyou portal? Trying to plan my family's vacation, and I'd like to get an ocean view room, but the only rooms in the thankyou portal don't have ocean views. Could I make the booking through the thankyou portal, then call the hotel directly and ask for a different room and then tell them to charge me the difference?
I think it depends on the hotel AND when the booking is transferred over to the hotel as well.
I vaguely recall some folks mentioning that the TY portal didn't transfer the booking info over until a few days before actual arrival (and I think in one or two cases, the day of).

However, it can't hurt to call the hotel and see if they have the booking, and if so, what can they do for you.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by D_C_B
I have a 4 night stay I need to book for February. Annual fee is due in December and I will probably downgrade this card unless they give me a good retention offer. If I book and pay for it now through the portal, then downgrade the card before my stay, anyone know if the reservation would still hold up?
I have the same question.
Any thoughts on this,
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:53 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
Originally Posted by monu58
I have the same question.
Any thoughts on this,
Book it as a fully pre paid, non refundable stay and then after booking make sure the property can see your reservation/confirmation.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
I would suggest checking prices for properties via multiple channels*.

For hotel bookings, I don't have one universal solution that works for all cases.

So I end up having to spend a little bit extra time to make sure I'm getting a fair price.

But I think its more important to pick the right property, and expend the most efforts on that.

In the majority of cases, I'll call the front desk and query them on all kinds of stuff (what floor, elevators, perks, transfers/shuttles, etc.)

I feel like people do a lot of research before buying $700 phones, but seem to think that 5 min on TripAdvisor / Yelp is enough for a $700 hotel wknd.

Of course FTers are not really in that camp and this is a great resource.

* if you are booking indy properties, loyalty programs may not mean much there to begin with.
I ended up booking a new chain property through the TYP portal for 5 nights. I'd checked 7 sites and the TYP price (pre 4NF discount) was comparable to what all the other sites were showing actually slightly cheaper. So given the ability to burn TYP with Premier 1.25x uplift, get the Rewards+ rebate, the 4NF, and TY75HOTEL promo, I was ok giving up points/stay/status recognition at this place.

But one concerning thing, when I got the email confirm it mentions a '3% tourist fee' to be paid at the property that was never mentioned anywhere else or prior! I wonder if that is why the TYP portal price looked ok. I don't see that fee disclosed on the hotels own site booking platform either.

If I could waited a few more weeks I would have been able to use the Prestige travel credit and a bunch more incoming TYPs....but the stay price had already gone up 10% and we're traveling at a peak time so availability through the portal is a real question itself. We've been hit with that in the past where dawdling has meant our first choice hotels were not available on the portal.

I still can't tell if this booking will use up 2019's 4NF allotment, or 2020.
Biggie Fries and milesforhire like this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:10 pm

Trying to book a hotel in India. Nearly every hotel on Thankyou.com is more expensive WITH the 4th "free night" when compared to hotels.com, expedia.com and priceline.com.... And thank you is refusing to price match.....

this benefit kind of sucks....
akr1970akr likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bmw303
Trying to book a hotel in India. Nearly every hotel on Thankyou.com is more expensive WITH the 4th "free night" when compared to hotels.com, expedia.com and priceline.com.... And thank you is refusing to price match.....

There was a recent Hilton sale for Japan. Checked TY and the prices didn't reflect any of the sale prices (as expected). Previously the concierge would have been able to book it. I can understand downgrading the benefit to 2X per year which would probably be enough for me to keep the card but this card is definitely on the chopping block come annual fee time.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by bmw303

That stuff happens all the time....but make sure you are truly comparing apples to apples.

Look at the total price after fees, taxes etc.

Some of the other booking engines leave those out until the very last step making it hard to easily compare prices (which is what they want - to make comparison hard)
Old Dec 9, 2019, 5:37 pm

Also booking stays now in 2019, that will happen in 2020, seems to be using up the 2019 allotment of the 2 4NF allowed.

I had one stay booked for 2020, before the cutoff in Sep, that did not use up anything. Then booked another one recently.

That caused one of my two to get used up, even though I thought it would have used it for next year.

I suspect its much easier administratively to just track it by booking date rather than stay date.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 7:08 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Just got a reimbursement for a June stay… wow that took a while
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by llngoc
I contacted Citi customer service via chat but if you are less than 2 billing cycles after your stay, you may want to wait or you will get the standard response that credit appears in 2 billing cycles. Mine did at exactly 2 billing cycles. Stayed 8/8/2019 and billed to the 8/18 bill and the credit appears on on 10/18 bill.
That is correct. 2 billing cycles after the statement showing the stay.
It used to happen within the same billing cycle sometimes but the good days are long gone for this cc...
Old Dec 15, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
Sandals / Beaches

Anyone have any experience booking the 4th night credit through the Thank You service center for Sandals or Beaches? The resorts don't show up regularly from the thankyou.com site .. any idea if they use the Sandals travel agent portal and therefore would be eligible for things like the 7/7/7 deals, points, and what not? Used to book these via the Concierge but obviously that's a no-op now :-(
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Is there anyway on a 9 night stay to have two four night bookings separated by an award night and get two free 4th-night-free rebates? I'm guessing not, but want to double check. It's two old reservations booked under Aspire lifestyles. Since it's February in a cold place, and there is a slight rate drop for the second 4th night, it isn't quite checking out and staying someplace else in the middle of the stay.

Otherwise I'll cancel the second Aspire and book the cash rate directly.

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Is there anyway on a 9 night stay to have two four night bookings separated by an award night and get two free 4th-night-free rebates? I'm guessing not, but want to double check. It's two old reservations booked under Aspire lifestyles. Since it's February in a cold place, and there is a slight rate drop for the second 4th night, it isn't quite checking out and staying someplace else in the middle of the stay.

Otherwise I'll cancel the second Aspire and book the cash rate directly.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, I believe the only restriction to staying in the same hotel is that it cannot be back to back. So if your first reservation is Feb 1-5, your 2nd reservation cannot start on Feb 5, but can start any day thereafter, including Feb 6.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by lowfareair
Yes, I believe the only restriction to staying in the same hotel is that it cannot be back to back. So if your first reservation is Feb 1-5, your 2nd reservation cannot start on Feb 5, but can start any day thereafter, including Feb 6.
Thanks! Have you actually done it successfully?

The stay will be three reservations back to back to back (4 nights through Citi, a direct award night, 4 nights through Citi). Hyatt will count it as one stay. I don't think the T&Cs except that from a back to back definition. So I'm wondering what happens in practice.
Old Dec 16, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Thanks! Have you actually done it successfully?

The stay will be three reservations back to back to back (4 nights through Citi, a direct award night, 4 nights through Citi). Hyatt will count it as one stay. I don't think the T&Cs except that from a back to back definition. So I'm wondering what happens in practice.
I have not, but my thoughts on it:

1) Citi gives you the 4th night free at time of reservation now through thankyou.com. You can't use the concierge any longer, and as such can't use special rates or earn points for the bookings, but it does mean you don't have to hope they'll give you the credit.
2) They don't know you are staying the middle night, if there is any issue, tell them you are doing an overnight to another city in the middle of the trip
3) I would be honestly surprised if Citi codes their website to flag anything but true back-to-back stays, and even that I wouldn't bet that is actually coded into the website

You should be fine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.