Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit September 2019 and beyond

Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Discussion of the previous version of this benefit (July 2017 - August 2019) is HERE.

Effective September 1, 2019 bookings for the 4th night benefit must be made exclusively by visiting thankyou.com or calling 1 800 THANKYOU. Citi Concierge will no longer handle new 4th night benefit bookings but will continue to support bookings made prior to September 1, 2019. To utilize your benefit through our online travel site, and/or have the option to use your ThankYou points, please visit thankyou.com, select travel in the top menu bar, select hotels, choose hotel designated as “Complimentary 4th Night Eligible”, book at least 4 nights, see savings at checkout.
Print Wikipost

Citi Prestige 4th night free hotel benefit September 2019 and beyond

Old Jan 30, 2020, 6:11 pm

Thanks! Yea..would have been good value at like $800/night which is probably why they’re not showing availability....
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:01 am

Do Sandals hotels not show up anymore? I can't seem to find them on thankyou.com.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by jaybert
Thanks! Yea..would have been good value at like $800/night which is probably why they’re not showing availability....
i received the card and confirmed nothing available at all other than some of the Lower end Disney hotels even though every other 3rd party travel site has plenty of availability. I called and canceled my card and gave them the reason as citi misrepresenting the benefit. She starting saying about misunderstanding the benefit but I corrected her that I thought it was citi misrepresenting it, not my misunderstanding it and she said she would put in a complaint for me regarding that. Maybe if enough people complain it will change, but I doubt it
estnet and akr1970akr like this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
i received the card and confirmed nothing available at all other than some of the Lower end Disney hotels even though every other 3rd party travel site has plenty of availability. I called and canceled my card and gave them the reason as citi misrepresenting the benefit. She starting saying about misunderstanding the benefit but I corrected her that I thought it was citi misrepresenting it, not my misunderstanding it and she said she would put in a complaint for me regarding that. Maybe if enough people complain it will change, but I doubt it
They would much rather reimburse a $75 hotel room for a night than a $750 / night room.

But if the Prestige card is intended to be a top end / flagship card, there's going to be some interest in the latter kind of bookings.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:14 pm

Hope you got your $250 travel credit before you cancelled.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:58 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
I was poking around the TYP site trying to see if it was worth chewing up a remaining 4NF for an upcoming Fairmont stay that P2 is requesting. For the one we were looking at - the Olympic - the TYP portal was priced pretty much right in line with the property direct, and even Costco. If one books direct, and logs in with their Accor loyalty number one would save a little bit off that, but I've never been able to get any benefits from their loyalty program to be honest. (Everything is either a non qualifying rate for earning points, or bonus points stay programs, and the points expire after a year, so its kind of crppy in that dimension). I also checked the rate toggling between 3 and 4 nights, and it came up with the proper savings for a 4NF. Also checked it on FHR, and it was substantially more, but of course one gets a lot more benefits with that booking tool. I find it kind of annoying that FHR can't/won't show all in prices (with taxes) while LHR and TYP will do that.

In the end, for a variety of reasons, we just went with 3 nights, and will probably leave that possible "almost free" night on the table, since I'm leaning toward cancelling the Prestige. Between taxes and 'urban destination fees' it would have been like an extra $100 for the extra night there, and we've got too much other duties to take the extra day.

I only note this because its rare in my observations for the devalued 4NF benefit to actually be of real value, to the person who knows the full panoply of booking tools out there, and this looked like a rare time when Prestige would earned her keep. (I'm not including mistake rates, or EHD subscribers in that comparison btw)
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
So you went through all that without mentioning the name of the hotel - which might be of use to someone????? Then it would have been a helpful post

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
I was poking around the TYP site trying to see if it was worth chewing up a remaining 4NF for an upcoming Fairmont stay that P2 is requesting. For the one we were looking at - the Olympic - the TYP portal was priced pretty much right in line with the property direct, and even Costco. If one books direct, and logs in with their Accor loyalty number one would save a little bit off that, but I've never been able to get any benefits from their loyalty program to be honest. (Everything is either a non qualifying rate for earning points, or bonus points stay programs, and the points expire after a year, so its kind of crppy in that dimension). I also checked the rate toggling between 3 and 4 nights, and it came up with the proper savings for a 4NF. Also checked it on FHR, and it was substantially more, but of course one gets a lot more benefits with that booking tool. I find it kind of annoying that FHR can't/won't show all in prices (with taxes) while LHR and TYP will do that.

In the end, for a variety of reasons, we just went with 3 nights, and will probably leave that possible "almost free" night on the table, since I'm leaning toward cancelling the Prestige. Between taxes and 'urban destination fees' it would have been like an extra $100 for the extra night there, and we've got too much other duties to take the extra day.

I only note this because its rare in my observations for the devalued 4NF benefit to actually be of real value, to the person who knows the full panoply of booking tools out there, and this looked like a rare time when Prestige would earned her keep. (I'm not including mistake rates, or EHD subscribers in that comparison btw)
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:23 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by estnet
So you went through all that without mentioning the name of the hotel - which might be of use to someone?
I think it is mentioned in the second sentence: https://www.fairmont.com/seattle/

Originally Posted by akr1970akr
.... For the one we were looking at - the Olympic -
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:10 pm

Has anyone had any luck recently booking The Brando with the 4th night free? I have called a few times and keep getting different answers. I've been told I can, and I've been told I can't and not sure how to proceed.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by mia
I think it is mentioned in the second sentence: https://www.fairmont.com/seattle/
Thanks - i missed it b/c there are lots of Fairmonts (eg SF) and I missed the Olympic part -

anyway I totally AGREE that the new benefit is mostly useless except perhaps where someone is willing to go to the extreme amount of trouble you went to (and for most of the time ending up with much less than a "free night")
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:52 am

What has been everyone's experience with making bookings via the concierge over the phone (before devaluation), and then changing the dates of the reservation, but keeping the reservation ID the same? I booked a hotel that's going for $1500/nt for Apr 2020 and pushed it out to Apr 2021, and want to make sure I'm still able to take advantage of it.

Do I need to let the concierge know that I changed the dates? Will the invalidate the 4th night free since I made the changes, and not the concierge?

They had confirmed to me that so long as the reservation number stayed the same that I'd be eligible for the 4th night free, I just wasn't sure about the detail about having them change the reservation or not. I also changed out the confirmation email address to my email instead of the aspire concierge email.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:42 am

change it back to April 2020 and then call Citi Prestige Concierge to have them change it to April 2021.

April 2021 is a stretch on reasonableness, who knows if Citi Prestige Concierge will even be under contract with Citi in 2021.

but worth a shot.

zero chance with the self-service change.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HA PL, Hilton 💎, Marriott Ti, Wyndham/Caesars 💎, Hertz PC
Potential valuable loophole for Caesars Palace LV bookings.

delete

Last edited by ajf87; Apr 30, 2020 at 1:39 pm
Old Apr 23, 2020, 2:15 am

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus lifetime
Changing credit card on existing ThankYou.com reservation?

I've been thinking about getting the Citi Prestige, but obviously right now is not a great time to get a high annual fee card. I was thinking of signing up for the card towards the end of Fall 2020, to get 2x the $250 credit in the first calendar year and in the hopes that the world might be a bit safer to travel around by then.

Due to the ongoing public health crisis, I am seeing some great rates on the ThankYou.com portal for bookings far away in the future. I am eyeing refundable reservations for late 2020 through early 2021, and even with travel being so depressed around the world, great peak holiday season rates for rare units like oceanfront suites may not stay around by the time I get the Prestige. If I book some of these now using a non-Prestige Citi card, would I be able to later call in and change the payment method to the Prestige after I've gotten the card, without cancelling and rebooking?

Basically, I am hoping I can retroactively apply the 4th night free benefit to existing reservations without losing the room availability and the great rates. Has anyone had success doing such a thing?
Old Oct 8, 2020, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Exclamation Horrible experience with Prestige 4th night free, Citi Travel Connections/CX Loyalty

Just a note to provide a warning regarding my very bad experience with the Citi Prestige 4th night free benefit and for others who might have to deal with it at some point down the line.

In brief, I went through all the right steps, including booking a 4th night free stay over the phone last year with Citi Travel Connections (aka Thank You Travel Center, aka the travel agency's actual name, CX Loyalty - not affiliated with Cathay Pacific) and receiving both verbal and written confirmation that my stay qualified. (This was not the first time I've used the benefit, so I'm familiar with the process.) I paid with my Prestige card when checking out of the hotel in December. I've since been repeatedly bounced around between the relevant Citi banking desks and Travel Connections desks, despite sending in the hard copy of the hotel receipt showing that I paid with my Prestige card and Citi seeing in my online account that I paid with it.

Along the way, Travel Connections lost the file and documentation I'd provided, said it couldn't access the email address to which it had previously directed me to send the information, and bounced back and forth with the banking side - with each saying that the other had told them that another credit card had been charged and therefore I wasn't eligible.

After numerous calls, I finally learned today that the other credit card was a CX Loyalty corporate card that it had temporarily used at one point in the reservation process. Travel Connections had then mistakenly assumed that I'd somehow paid the bill with its own card.

At first the Citi representative today insisted that the whole matter would have to be referred back to the hotel to try to get a refund, after which my refund could kick in. I asked to speak to a supervisor, who when I explained the situation issued the refund.

Though it all ended well, the process of dealing with Travel Connections along the way was one royal PITA involving many hours of time and considerable aggravation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.