Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Trip Delay Reimbursement (Prestige, Chairman, HHonors, AAdvantage)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by themicah
What they mean is each individual flight segment itself (in vacuum) has to be delayed for 3+ hr for the reasons mentioned to be eligible for coverage. And it doesn't include getting to airport late because your previous flight was delayed.

Yes, the language is as bad as the interpretation of their terms.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by joe_miami
The “churners” and “travel hackers” were abusing this like crazy, buying $200 worth of phone chargers after a 3-hour delay and filing for meals and hotel nights at the Ritz even when the airlines were responsible for paying, so it’s not any surprise Citi and/or its insurer finally cracked down.
This is an interesting claim. Do you have any evidence to back this up (I'm not saying you're wrong - just curious if there is widespread documentation of ppl doing this sort of stuff).
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
This makes no sense, as most connections are under 3 hours (or 6 hours in Chase's case). The whole reason a benefit like this is valuable is to cover for the instance where you miss a connection and have to stay overnight. If it doesn't cover when you miss a connection and the airline can't accommodate you without an overnight, then the benefit is pretty useless, and we should factor that in to our decisions when spending/signing up for cards.
seawolf and usercomments like this.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 1:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by transparent
This makes no sense, as most connections are under 3 hours (or 6 hours in Chase's case). The whole reason a benefit like this is valuable is to cover for the instance where you miss a connection and have to stay overnight. If it doesn't cover when you miss a connection and the airline can't accommodate you without an overnight, then the benefit is pretty useless, and we should factor that in to our decisions when spending/signing up for cards.
Agreed. Time to charge connecting flights tickets to Chase CSR and only non-stops to Prestige.

Originally Posted by HoKo
This is an interesting claim. Do you have any evidence to back this up (I'm not saying you're wrong - just curious if there is widespread documentation of ppl doing this sort of stuff).
Those same hackers must be hacking the weather as well to cause the delay. LOL
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
I hope you fight this vigorously. I disagree with the decision. Coverage is TRIP based not FLIGHT based. On the same note, GarlicFlyer's claim should have been denied.

Makes no sense that a misconnect resulting in an overnight at connection point caused by a flight delay of less than 3 hours on the delivering flight is not covered while GarlicFlyer's claim is paid and he/she arrived at destination on time.

Posts 314 and 315 poke holes at their interpretation that Trip Delay is based on flight segments.
I recommend that you closely read the Guide to Protection Benefits. I fully expected the Trip Delay Protection to apply, and it did, in full. The claim was completely within the terms.

Last edited by GarlicFlyer; Feb 6, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by compspy
I am in the process of fighting misconnection. Like the majority of people, my was delayed by 1.5 hours, I was not able to make a connection and required to stay overnight. So far I have escalated in two places with same results BBB(A+ rating The Warranty Group) and CFPB(Against Citi), same answer from both places. When you escalate to citi they just ask insurance company why they denied my claim and just copy and paste their response. I already have a plan of next attack, but interested what your next suggestions are?

I agree with Citi.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:24 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer
I recommend that you closely read the Guide to Protection Benefits. I fully expected the Trip Delay Protection to apply, and it did, in full. The claim was completely within the terms.
The definition of Trip in Trip Delay Protection as well as the rest of the benefits guide for other Trip-related benefits don't differ significantly.

Yet Trip Cancellation has a coverage where The Covered Traveler(s) misses more than half of their Trip because of missed connections, delayed departures, denied boarding, traffic accidents on their way to a departure, or lost or stolen passports.

If Trip is defined as a flight, you can never invoked this coverage above under Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection. How can I miss more than half my flight unless I pull a D.B. Cooper?

Another condition of coverage, Additional fares or tickets needed to rejoin the Trip that has been interrupted must be booked within the same fare class service as the original booking, such as economy or business class.

How am I going to rejoin my flight? If Trip is flight segment, how I can extend a Trip or continue a Trip?

Similar problem with Trip being defined as flight under Medical Evacuation. For example, Trip is less than 60 consecutive days long. What flight is that long?

Citi should clarify Trip in Trip Delay to avoid this confusion because the rest of the benefit guides makes it clear Trip is a collection of transportation and not individual segments.

Last edited by seawolf; Feb 6, 2018 at 5:47 pm
Old Feb 6, 2018, 5:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HoKo
Just Google “maximizing trip-delay insurance” or something like that and read the various travel bloggers and Reddit posts that pop up. People are turning down the hotel rooms and meal vouchers offered by the airlines so they can book $350 rooms and have $150 dinners and then file claims. I saw one guy who bought a $400 pair of shoes during a delay — which, incredibly, was reimbursed.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Citi should clarify Trip in Trip Delay to avoid this confusion because the rest of the benefit guides makes it clear Trip is a collection of transportation and not individual segments.
It does in the Prestige benefits guide:

Trip means any pre-paid travel, tour or vacation when all or at least a portion of the cost of the Common Carrier fare was paid using your Citi card and/or ThankYou® Points for all Covered Travelers.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Just Google “maximizing trip-delay insurance” or something like that and read the various travel bloggers and Reddit posts that pop up. People are turning down the hotel rooms and meal vouchers offered by the airlines so they can book $350 rooms and have $150 dinners and then file claims. I saw one guy who bought a $400 pair of shoes during a delay — which, incredibly, was reimbursed.
My most recent claim required you to attach a copy of any reimbursement from the airline, or attest that they didn't offer you anything for the delay.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
It does in the Prestige benefits guide:
Therein lies the problem: they differentiate between Trip vs Trip on a Common Carrier.

"Trip" is defined, as you specified. "Common Carrier" is also defined in the benefits guide. But Trip on a Common Carrier is not defined. And their interpretation is that it's "A" common carrier. Meaning: 1 carrier, or 1 plane, so 1 flight segment.

And they do make the distinction so eloquently in the letter to compspy in post 359.

Last edited by flyershmlyer; Feb 7, 2018 at 1:13 am
Old Feb 7, 2018, 1:11 am

That could've very well been baggage delay claim.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 2:20 am
Original Member

Don’t see an issue here as benefits administrator determined it was reasonable if they paid it out. This also doesn’t indicate volumes of $500 claims involved.

$400 pair of shoes would be baggage delay/lost not trip delay.

The fundamental problem I have is how someone misonnecting with a valid MCT itinerary resulting in a 3+ hour delay to final destination would not have a claim while another person with a 3+ hour delay on the delivering flight but no misconnect and arrives on time at final destination gets paid out. Passenger in 1st scenario arrived 3+ hours later than what they expected when compared with what they booked while passenger 2 arrived as expected but paid out?!?!?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
No, it was trip delay. And the claims didn’t suddenly get tougher for no reason.

Also, you “don’t see an issue” with people declining the airline compensation so they could file fraudulent trip-delay claims?
Old Feb 7, 2018, 12:02 pm

Also, you “don’t see an issue” with people declining the airline compensation so they could file fraudulent trip-delay claims?
Hotel compensation is a part of the benefits from the credit cards to when a flight is delayed. I signed up for good credit card in order not to deal with airlines when flight is delayed.
Have you ever stayed at the Airline Offered Accommodations? I have, I was put in the cheapest motel where you are scared for your life, try it next time, not everyone is being put in nice hotels.

Hence if I were to be "stuck somewhere", airline fault or not, I would expect my credit card to come thru with their promise of decent room, and not start playing and interpreting the terms to their liking.
usercomments likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.