FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

flyer4512 Aug 3, 2016 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by thisguyoverhere (Post 27012172)
How are you lowering the limit? I'm confused by what I've read online if that requires a hard pull. It shouldn't, imo, but each bank has different rules.

I suppose by doing it within 30 days of application that you may be avoiding that HP anyway, but do you have any knowledge on this? Has a CSR ever mentioned pulling credit for a decrease?

I lower the limits on all my cards after the spend is complete. I have never heard of a pull for lowering credit and I have done it with over 100 cards.

I have a 90% + instant approval rate and I believe it's because I lower credit limits ( usually) a few weeks before my next application.

Some of Chase card come with ~ $30K CL's, those get lowered to $10K when I activate and $2500 or $5K ( some cards have different minimum CL's) after I make the spend. Citi Hilton Signature Visa can be lowered to at least $1500 but the Reserve has to have $5K

RobertHanson Aug 4, 2016 9:10 am

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 27012318)
Citi Hilton Signature Visa can be lowered to at least $1500 but the Reserve has to have $5K

My Citi HH Res card currently has a $3K CL. ;)

AugustWest Aug 4, 2016 12:21 pm

Good lord.

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 27011534)
That exact same wording is in online offers, and has been discussed often. It simply means that you cannot get the bonus miles with a card you have, you have to apply for a new card to get it. That's all that it means.

If it's been established that that's all that language means in every other circumstance, why would you assume it means something different in mailers? :confused:

That's why I don't understand why think is a mailers-specific question. The language that Citi uses means the same thing wherever Citi uses it.

jimbaum Aug 4, 2016 4:49 pm

Wrong Mailer?

Today was supposed to be my day of celebration. I finally got a mailer in the mail, but does not appear to have a code that everyone keeps mentioning. It has a generic link, away6.citicards.com. I'm guessing that this is NOT the elusive mailer.

How I got the mailer: My dad retired from the military and is living overseas. He visited me last month and he did not have an AA account. So he let me sign up for him utilizing my address. Voila, I received a mailer with his mileage info today, as I was desperately hoping for.

This mailer is about a 5x7 card-stock, multi-pager, Earn 40k miles (30k after $750 and then 10k after $5k in 6mo. No codes, just the away6 link.

Does any1 know if I may receive another mailer for my dad with the "code" ? Hugely bummed out as my plan with this very rare opportunity did not materialize :(

TIA
Jim

flyer4512 Aug 4, 2016 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson (Post 27014583)
My Citi HH Res card currently has a $3K CL. ;)

When I got my dad the AA card earlier this week I had to move credit around and they told me his Reserve card couldn't go below 5K so maybe she was wrong or maybe it's a new rule.

thisguyoverhere Aug 4, 2016 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by jimbaum (Post 27016978)
Today was supposed to be my day of celebration. I finally got a mailer in the mail, but does not appear to have a code that everyone keeps mentioning. It has a generic link, away6.citicards.com. I'm guessing that this is NOT the elusive mailer.

How I got the mailer: My dad retired from the military and is living overseas. He visited me last month and he did not have an AA account. So he let me sign up for him utilizing my address. Voila, I received a mailer with his mileage info today, as I was desperately hoping for.

This mailer is about a 5x7 card-stock, multi-pager, Earn 40k miles (30k after $750 and then 10k after $5k in 6mo. No codes, just the away6 link.

Does any1 know if I may receive another mailer for my dad with the "code" ? Hugely bummed out as my plan with this very rare opportunity did not materialize :(

TIA
Jim

In my experience, once they start sending offers to someone, they will continue to do so until that person opens a card. Since your dad won't be opening a card, then the offers will continue to come. One should eventually have an invitation number for you to use.

thisguyoverhere Aug 4, 2016 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by flyer4512 (Post 27012318)
I lower the limits on all my cards after the spend is complete. I have never heard of a pull for lowering credit and I have done it with over 100 cards.

I have a 90% + instant approval rate and I believe it's because I lower credit limits ( usually) a few weeks before my next application.

Some of Chase card come with ~ $30K CL's, those get lowered to $10K when I activate and $2500 or $5K ( some cards have different minimum CL's) after I make the spend. Citi Hilton Signature Visa can be lowered to at least $1500 but the Reserve has to have $5K

Thanks! I've reduced limits with issuers before, so I wasn't expecting a pull, but then I read some blogs...

hiima Aug 4, 2016 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by thisguyoverhere (Post 27017526)
Thanks! I've reduced limits with issuers before, so I wasn't expecting a pull, but then I read some blogs...

That's only when you increase CL.

bobert24 Aug 4, 2016 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by lkat (Post 27009958)
You were able to churn them 95 days/6mths with the 18month language? But not with the new 24 month language? Or you did this before any 18 month language was on the business version?

The latter. There was no 18 or 24 month language at that time.

michael_v Aug 5, 2016 11:16 am

Originally Posted by jimbaum (Post 27016978)

TIA
Jim

My friend gets mailers both with and without invitation numbers, so I would say there is hope for you.

nkaufman Aug 6, 2016 10:50 pm

Hello,

Looking at the recent 50K offer.
“Card Offer
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles offer is not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® opened or closed in the past 24 months.”

Had applied for AA/Visa and AA/Amex when dual offers were allowed. Cancelled AA/Visa Jan-2014 and AA/Amex Jan-2015.

Now since the new offer is for Mastercard which I never had, am I still eligible even though it has not been 24 months since I closed AA/Amex account?

Thanks

beltway Aug 7, 2016 5:19 am

Originally Posted by nkaufman (Post 27026719)
Had applied for AA/Visa and AA/Amex when dual offers were allowed. Cancelled AA/Visa Jan-2014 and AA/Amex Jan-2015.

Now since the new offer is for Mastercard which I never had, am I still eligible even though it has not been 24 months since I closed AA/Amex account?

The wiki already answered this:
As of April 8, 2016, all new links require you to wait 24 months from the date of opening or closing an account of the same type (AmEx, Visa, MC) and category (Gold, Platinum, Executive).
Since this evidently isn't clear enough, I've added the bolded language below:
Thus,
  • opening or closing a personal Platinum MC will normally require you to wait another 24 months before applying for another personal Platinum MC eligible for a signup bonus
  • opening or closing a personal Gold MC will normally require you to wait another 24 months before applying for another personal Gold MC eligible for a signup bonus
  • opening or closing a personal Platinum MC will not affect your eligibility to apply for (& earn a bonus on) a new Gold MC, and vice versa
  • closing a Citi AA Visa or Amex (legacy cards which are no longer issued) will not affect your eligibility to apply for/earn a bonus on any Citi AA MC

nkaufman Aug 7, 2016 5:34 am

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 27027394)
The wiki already answered this:....

Thank you for the information.

nkaufman Aug 7, 2016 6:03 am

Hello,

Another question:

Spouse applied in 07/2014 for "Citi® Platinum Select®/ AAdvantage® World MasterCard®". Have approval page screenshot pdf
First few months monthly statement showed - "Citi® Platinum Select®/AAdvantage® World Elite MasterCard®".
Then monthly statement changed to "Citi®/AAdvantage® Platinum Select Card®".
Closed account 08/2015

so does this mean spouse got converted from World Elite to World? Not that this makes any difference now as far as i understand the wiki.

Thanks,

gq_dq Aug 7, 2016 6:45 am

Citi, you know what you're doing: Shutting down inactive standalone AMEXs.

This has been going on in our household for almost a year now. At least 3 standalone AA Plat AMEXs which have had no activity have abruptly been terminated with no offer to move the CL or whatever. It's not a big deal at all in terms of available credit since our remaining MCs have enuf, but it's just irritating since we'll likely have to wait 24 months now for our next Plat app. The first time this happened we thought it was a fluke, but subsequent occurrences brought the sinister subterfuge to light. Methinks Citi is trying to whittle down its relationship with AMEX and this is one way to do it. Sure, we should have been using the cards, but really, we don't care except for the reset of the 24-mo window and we weren't gonna use the AMEXs anyway.

It was interesting that we received 2 letters on some cards. The first letter stated that that Citi closed the card due to non-activity. The second, for the same cards, stated that they have processed OUR request to close. Hmmmm....

Question: I assume that we in fact will have to wait the 24 mo for our next AA MC Plat apps even though the closed cards are not MC Plats but rather AMEX Plats... and it doesn't matter whether we closed them or Citi did?

P.S. Full disclosure -- I read the Wiki post which states "closing a Citi AA Visa or Amex (legacy cards which are no longer issued) will not affect your eligibility to apply for/earn a bonus on any Citi AA MC" but I called Citi to confirm and they said that opening or closing ANY Plat card restarts the 24 mo clock. I am still inclined to believe that the Wiki is correct and the Citi rep was wrong, but wanted to check if anyone has anecdotal evidence that this is indeed the case, that they closed an AA AMEX or Visa Plat and it did not reset their 24 mo window.