FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

BESVISOR Jul 23, 2016 5:51 am

Originally Posted by paradox (Post 26954716)
In March of this year Mrs. paradox converted her AA Plat Select MC to a Citi Double Cash because she didn't want to pay the annual fee, and we weren't offered a $95 credit to offset the AF as in the past. She just received a targeted mailer offering 50K miles after $3K spend in 3 months. The T&C state that "This offer is only valid for new accounts". There is no mention of the 24 month restriction.

I called Citibank and was told she can get the card but is not eligible for the miles. I then read the wiki (yes, I should have gone there first:)) and saw that the invite code may provide a loophole. Should we just rely on the wiki and apply? We don't want the card without the miles, nor do we want the credit pull. I'd call Citi again, but I was on hold for nearly 30 minutes and would like to avoid repeating that if I can.

I will also be happy to test the mailer for you :D
Since multiple people can use it, multiple times. PM me if you care to share or for me to test it out for you. Will be able to confirm the sign up bonus once I receive letter with the card.

beltway Jul 23, 2016 6:17 am

Originally Posted by mmamminna (Post 26955980)
Hi Guys, I canceled both citi singature visa and citi amex (the ones that worked with 2 browser) on 12/2014. Cards were open 10/2012. Will I get the AA 30K bonus airlines again? 18 or 24 months since cancellation or?

Originally Posted by moonwoo (Post 26956173)
regardless of when the cards were open/closed, because it is a different product line. I am thinking that you are probably eligible for the 30,000 bonus. Anyone have different thoughts?

This is discussed in detail in the wiki at the top of this page. (Not viewable in mobile interface; must use desktop mode, aka "full site.") See FAQ #1.

mmamminna Jul 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by beltway (Post 26956750)
This is discussed in detail in the wiki at the top of this page. (Not viewable in mobile interface; must use desktop mode, aka "full site.") See FAQ #1.

Thanks, I read it and its a bit confusing for the 24 months is the period but how do I know if those are the same products? TIA

mmamminna Jul 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by moonwoo (Post 26956173)
Citi's website specifically states "American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles offer is not available if you have had a Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® opened or closed in the past 24 months."
Based on that, regardless of when the cards were open/closed, because it is a different product line. I am thinking that you are probably eligible for the 30,000 bonus. Anyone have different thoughts?

You have a point. I am a but confused though.

hiima Jul 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by mmamminna (Post 26958198)
You have a point. I am a but confused though.

Visa amex mc all different.

IkeEsq Jul 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by mmamminna (Post 26958194)
Thanks, I read it and its a bit confusing for the 24 months is the period but how do I know if those are the same products? TIA

Products:

Personal - Platinum MC, Gold MC, Executive MC, AmEx, Visa
Business - MC

You can no longer get AmEx or Visa cards, so they have no effect on new applications until they are converted to MC, which they will be converted to.

RobertHanson Jul 23, 2016 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by IkeEsq (Post 26958323)
Products:

Personal - Platinum MC, Gold MC, Executive MC, AmEx, Visa
Business - MC

You can no longer get AmEx or Visa cards, so they have no effect on new applications until they are converted to MC, which they will be converted to.

So if you still have any of them open, call Citi and ask if they have been converted yet, and if they say no, cancel them on the spot. Don't give Citi the chance to convert them without asking you, or worse, converting them and not telling you about it until the new card arrives in the mail. :rolleyes:

mmamminna Jul 23, 2016 6:38 pm

Thanks guys, so I guess since none of the ones I had was a MC, it does not matter, since visa and amex are closed and they are not the same products, timing is irrelevant, correct? TIA

P.S. Just found old mailers for shredding for 40 and 50K points.

hiima Jul 23, 2016 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by mmamminna (Post 26958911)
Thanks guys, so I guess since none of the ones I had was a MC, it does not matter, since visa and amex are closed and they are not the same products, timing is irrelevant, correct? TIA

P.S. Just found old mailers for shredding for 40 and 50K points.

Double check the 50k, it might be a weird 40+10. I got one of those.

AugustWest Jul 25, 2016 3:12 pm

Mailer offers still cranking.
New 50K sign-up on DWs offer.
And another one arrived today...

I just wish AAs flights were worth anything.
Our flight back from Europe in J was nothing compared to that of Delta.

freeflyin Jul 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by hiima (Post 26925814)
Always call Citi.

Not necessarily so-in the few times I have not gotten instant approval, I have always avoided calling in and have ultimately received the "you are approved" email within a week or so.

My preference is to have as little interaction with reps as possible.

hiima Jul 26, 2016 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 26971832)
Not necessarily so-in the few times I have not gotten instant approval, I have always avoided calling in and have ultimately received the "you are approved" email within a week or so.

I guess if you don't want to talk to someone, you don't have to call, but IME, calling makes approval faster.

PETERPNYC Jul 26, 2016 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 26971832)

I have always called an an as recently as Monday was approved for my last of many cards.
Guess it's a matter of style, but
Calling , and also follow up calling , makes it faster. Then starting the spend ASAP , thus being able to apply again sooner with confidence IME.

RobertHanson Jul 27, 2016 8:02 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 26972782)
I have always called an an as recently as Monday was approved for my last of many cards.
Guess it's a matter of style, but
Calling , and also follow up calling , makes it faster. Then starting the spend ASAP , thus being able to apply again sooner with confidence IME.

^ Other than the annoyance of being put on hold for 20 minutes, it seems worth it. I get approved the same day, and typically don't have to answer any questions at all, just have to wait for the CSR to get in touch with a Supervisor to finalize the approval.

StartinSanDiego Jul 27, 2016 8:58 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest (Post 26967004)
Mailer offers still cranking.
New 50K sign-up on DWs offer.
And another one arrived today...

I'm soooo jealous. I haven't gotten a mailed offer from Citi in years.