FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Citi | ThankYou Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards-739/)
-   -   Citi AA Platinum, Gold and Business cards. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-thankyou-rewards/1632562-citi-aa-platinum-gold-business-cards.html)

NTP9766 Apr 6, 2016 8:01 am

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC (Post 26441699)
I activated WE card as soon as I was notified of conversion . Apllied for new card and approved , and still did not get WE in hand . I had to rush leaving the country soon

How did you active your new WE card before getting it in hand? I assume online via https://www.citi.com/activate? I'm going to wait for mine in the mail since I've got the time.

Originally Posted by flyfaraway (Post 26442753)
Just a quick update:

Closed WE MasterCard 3/15
Applied for world mc using links here 3/16

Denied bonus. SM response states "you previously had an aadvantage card opened/closed in the previous 18 months."

Definitely let us know which link you used to apply for this card, as it'll help others in the same boat (myself included).

flyfaraway Apr 6, 2016 8:14 am

I have already received the welcome letter Peter. No bonus. I SMed to ask whether the World and World Elite are considered the same product. The response was that ANY aadvantage card makes you ineligible. I was referred to the T&C (cardmember agreement) on the website, which does not have language relating to the bonuses.

I honestly don't remember which link I used. Either #12 or #15.

Regardless, I'll close it now and move on to another CC. My mistake and I'm ticked at myself for paying closer attention. I need to get a better tracking system of open/close for all the cards we have.

NTP9766 Apr 6, 2016 8:26 am

Okay. This reaffirms my decision to use the link on Citi's Pre-qualified page (the pre-qualified one, if it ever shows up there, or the "other cards you may be interested in", which is how it currently appears - and has since my last card was converted to WE). A 30k/$1k card with approved bonus is better than nothing.

PETERPNYC Apr 6, 2016 8:58 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 26444872)
How did you active your new WE card before getting it in hand? I assume online via https://www.citi.com/activate? I'm going to wait for mine in the mail since I've got the time.

I called the number on the back of the card . Instead of account info either there was a option to " activate card" or other in the menu that brought me to activate card , or maybe their voice recognition picked it up , but I did it on one phone call without speaking to anyone . I noticed the numbers donuts change including the CVV so I wanted to move things along . Got approved for new card , and still did not get WE card in hand !

Definitely let us know which link you used to apply for this card, as it'll help others in the same boat (myself included).

chadmb2003 Apr 6, 2016 10:47 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 26445008)
Okay. This reaffirms my decision to use the link on Citi's Pre-qualified page (the pre-qualified one, if it ever shows up there, or the "other cards you may be interested in", which is how it currently appears - and has since my last card was converted to WE). A 30k/$1k card with approved bonus is better than nothing.

I applied via a pre-qualified offer and was not given the 30k/$1k bonus. My W had converted to WE several months prior.

NTP9766 Apr 6, 2016 10:59 am

Originally Posted by chadmb2003 (Post 26445714)
I applied via a pre-qualified offer and was not given the 30k/$1k bonus. My W had converted to WE several months prior.

One way or the other, I'll take a chance by the end of May, since I wasn't planning on applying for another card until 12/2017, anyway. My best bet still seems to be for a direct mailer.

michael_v Apr 6, 2016 11:24 am

Originally Posted by NTP9766 (Post 26445790)
One way or the other, I'll take a chance by the end of May, since I wasn't planning on applying for another card until 12/2017, anyway. My best bet still seems to be for a direct mailer.

Since direct mailers don't include the 18 months language, that does seem the best bet indeed.

flyfaraway Apr 6, 2016 4:24 pm

Just closed the account via SM. They stated that the World and World Elite are considered the same product.

Here is the text:

Our solicitations are used as a way to encourage new business
or to offer an additional account to our customers. Therefore, we are
unable to apply the incentives mentioned in your solicitation to your
existing account.
If you wish to discuss options that may be available on your existing
account, please call us.

The AA World Platinum card and the AA Platinum World Elite card are
considered the same offer.

Your account does not qualify for the Special Offer to receive Bonus
Miles due to multiple accounts opened within the past 18 months.

Please respond to this message if you are requesting to close this
account.

johnnie198x Apr 6, 2016 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyfaraway (Post 26447477)
Just closed the account via SM. They stated that the World and World Elite are considered the same product.

You certainly haven't read enough of this thread. Yes, they say W and WE are the same, but we're taking advantage of a loophole that they don't know about. What do you want them to confirm? "W and WE are not the same, you can churn?"

There are still people who have success with this loophole, so we're still trying to figure out. Closing the W card now means you reset the 18-month clock. You should have waited for the conversion, that doesn't reset the clock, then you might have chance to get bonus in a few months.

Willbur Apr 6, 2016 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by flyfaraway (Post 26447477)

Here is the text:

Our solicitations are used as a way to encourage new business
or to offer an additional account to our customers. Therefore, we are
unable to apply the incentives mentioned in your solicitation to your
existing account.
If you wish to discuss options that may be available on your existing
account, please call us.

The AA World Platinum card and the AA Platinum World Elite card are
considered the same offer.

Your account does not qualify for the Special Offer to receive Bonus
Miles due to multiple accounts opened within the past 18 months.

Please respond to this message if you are requesting to close this
account.

I have no clue why an SM asking about W vs WE would be sent to Citi in this regard. If you don't get the bonus just have to move on - same happened to me, oh well.

Ketawa Apr 6, 2016 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ketawa (Post 26423068)
My 2nd Gold card was converted to WE sometime in December, I think. I was approved for my 3rd Gold card on 3/28 after a brief call to get approved and received the paperwork today on 4/1. No mention of the bonus in the paperwork.

I'll check the online tracker when the card arrives and I might even reach minimum spend anyway just to check, but this loophole might be dead. I'll also be trying for another Platinum Select since my 3rd was converted to WE in March.

No mention of a New Customer Bonus on the tracker for my new Gold card.

flyfaraway Apr 6, 2016 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by johnnie198x (Post 26447727)
You certainly haven't read enough of this thread. Yes, they say W and WE are the same, but we're taking advantage of a loophole that they don't know about. What do you want them to confirm? "W and WE are not the same, you can churn?"

There are still people who have success with this loophole, so we're still trying to figure out. Closing the W card now means you reset the 18-month clock. You should have waited for the conversion, that doesn't reset the clock, then you might have chance to get bonus in a few months.

My previous card was a conversion that was closed as a WE. It reset the clock when I closed it. So I'm closing now and moving on for 18 months.

IkeEsq Apr 6, 2016 7:44 pm

Just approved for another Business card, already have four open. I have to say I get a kick out of it every time they approve me for another one. :P

chadmb2003 Apr 6, 2016 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by michael_v (Post 26445940)
Since direct mailers don't include the 18 months language, that does seem the best bet indeed.

My pre-qualified offer didn't have the 18 month language either. After not receiving the bonus when I received the card, I called customer support who spoke with a nice supervisor who said that is standard across all cards within Citi and does not matter if it is stated on the terms and conditions or not as the system will not let you get the bonus because of a prior card.

frairtuck Apr 6, 2016 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by chadmb2003 (Post 26448710)
My pre-qualified offer didn't have the 18 month language either. After not receiving the bonus when I received the card, I called customer support who spoke with a nice supervisor who said that is standard across all cards within Citi and does not matter if it is stated on the terms and conditions or not as the system will not let you get the bonus because of a prior card.

seems to just prove the differences between a mailer code and a "pre-qualified" online link