Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by geclub1
Existing TY Premier card account for several years. Opened a Citi Gold checking in Feb. Called TY to combine TY accounts together late March. On 4/9, I was able to transfer to SQ the points earned from the checking account. Miles in Sq account on the 2nd business day.
Did you apply for a Citi gold account which came with a TY bonus? The reason I ask is that I believe these bonuses have for quite a while allowed you to transfer out to a partner. Alternatively, are you saying that monthly TY points that are deposited into your account were also able to be transferred? These monthly TY points, per information currently posted on the Citi website, specifically say they cannot be transferred to a partner.

Originally Posted by mia
I have edited the Wikipost to reflect the possibility that geclub1's experience was an exception, because the published rule has not changed. I speculate that when the two ThankYou Rewards accounts were merged the points which had been earned through banking were miscoded. We would need more examples to know if this is loophole which can be exploited, or a manual error.
MIA, please see my question above, as I think I've identified what GECLUB1 is referring to. If these were points earned through a TY bonus for opening the account, then I believe they are indeed transferable and this isn't a loophole. I believe that is what he is referring to and not receiving monthly TY points through an on-going Citi Gold relationship which were subsquently transferred to a partner.

Last edited by mia; Apr 24, 2015 at 7:47 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
Did you apply for a Citi gold account which came with a TY bonus? The reason I ask is that I believe these bonuses have for quite a while allowed you to transfer out to a partner.
Sensible hypothesis, but I suggest not editing the Wiki until geclub1 replies.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by mia
Sensible hypothesis, but I suggest not editing the Wiki until geclub1 replies.
Agreed.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
Did you apply for a Citi gold account which came with a TY bonus? The reason I ask is that I believe these bonuses have for quite a while allowed you to transfer out to a partner. Alternatively, are you saying that monthly TY points that are deposited into your account were also able to be transferred?
The sign on bonus has not posted yet. What got transferred was the monthly points for the checking account.

Last edited by mia; Apr 24, 2015 at 9:01 am Reason: Prune quotation
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by geclub1
The sign on bonus has not posted yet. What got transferred was the monthly points for the checking account.
Interesting...
Old Apr 24, 2015, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Discussion of transferring points to another person's ThankYou Rewards account has been exported to a new thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-...p-account.html
That's great news because I'm only following 999 threads right now, and I was hoping to make it an even 1,000.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by Brugge
That's great news because I'm only following 999 threads right now, and I was hoping to make it an even 1,000.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Are there any useful thankyou point partners with friendly expiration policy (expires afer inactivity for a certain period of time)? IIRC, SQ miles expire 3 years after deposit, while AF miles expire 20 months after deposit unless one takes a Skyteam flight.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by cloudybw
Are there any useful thankyou point partners with friendly expiration policy (expires afer inactivity for a certain period of time)? IIRC, SQ miles expire 3 years after deposit, while AF miles expire 20 months after deposit unless one takes a Skyteam flight.
Good question. I would also like to know this.

GA I believe requires members to visit a GA office to ticket reservations.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Depends how you define useful. If you can make QF work for you, you only need activity in your account every 18 months to keep your miles alive. Other than that (and Flying Blue, which you note above), they all have pretty harsh expiration policies.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Depends how you define useful.
If a FFP charges comparable miles and fees for the same award as a US FFP (AA, AS, UA or even DL), it is considered useful.

QF's chart doesn't look appealing at first glance and they charge YQ. Are there any hidden gems in QF's chart?
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:44 pm

If a FFP charges comparable miles and fees for the same award as a US FFP (AA, AS, UA or even DL), it is considered useful.

QF's chart doesn't look appealing at first glance and they charge YQ. Are there any hidden gems in QF's chart?
As I see it, the main gem with QF is US East Coast to Europe in F/J. They do charge YQ (I think), but the award prices for US East Coast to Europe in F/J are comparable to LH M&M, BA's new peak prices, and UA (both UA metal & partner metal). Considering the bonus categories on the Premier & Prestige cards, you could rack up miles at a decent clip, if you spend enough in those categories. If you're not looking into US East Coast - Europe in F/J, I don't think QF is particularly valuable.

Also, in my earlier post, I forgot VS. Their expiration policy is that any activity will extend your miles. I think you need some kind of activity every 3 years, but I can't remember the exact time.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Depends how you define useful. If you can make QF work for you, you only need activity in your account every 18 months to keep your miles alive. Other than that (and Flying Blue, which you note above), they all have pretty harsh expiration policies.
Edited to remove inaccurate statements.

VS has very high fuel surcharges...

A 3 year expiration policy doesn't trouble me, as I'm a card carrying member of the Earn Them and Burn Them club. Holding miles/points for over 3 years is just asking to have them demolished by devaluation.

Last edited by Brugge; Apr 28, 2015 at 9:58 am
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
VS will not let you put the miles back in your account if you need to cancel an award.
This is accurate only if you cancel within 24 hours of departure or after flying the first leg of an itinerary. Otherwise, miles are redeposited.

4.2.1 Once reward tickets are issued, you may amend your travel date, route or class of service prior to travel for an amendment fee of £30 for changes to international flights originating in the UK, US$50 for changes to international flights originating in the US or local currency equivalent of US$50 for changes to flights originating in any other region. Changes to domestic flights within the UK can be made for an amendment fee of £15. Where the reward is a companion ticket and the person travelling on the paying ticket changes his or her flight or class of travel, the companion ticket may be similarly amended for the same amendment fees, subject to availability of seats and the provisions of section 4.4 of these Flying Club Terms.

Once tickets for a Reward Booking are issued, no name changes are allowed. If for any reason a flight Reward is cancelled by the Member outside 24 hours of departure, 100% of the Miles will be re-credited to the Member’s account. A cancellation fee of £30 for changes to flights originating in the UK, US$50 for changes to flights originating in the US or local currency equivalent of US$50 for changes to flights originating in any other region will apply

If for any reason a flight Reward is cancelled by a member 24 hours prior departure, no Miles will be refunded and a £30 administration fee will be charged to process the refund of any taxes, charges/sur-charges. Once travel has commenced Miles cannot be refunded. Except as expressly stated in these Flying Club Terms, Miles are not refundable and changes or revalidation are not permitted in case of no-show.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:15 pm

QF and VS have horrible mileage requirements
VS charges 80K/100K (depending on the origin) for US-LHR in J. DL charges 125K. I've noted the QF prices for the East Coast of the US to Europe in F/J (and that they compare favorably with several other programs) above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.