Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2023, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by frudd38
12/27 initiated from Citi but no miles as of 12/31.

Any more recent DP’s for BR?
In mid October my transfer took 3 business days. Started another transfer on December 29 hoping to take advantage of the delay (one extra month of validity), and points haven’t shown up yet.
Old Jan 1, 2024, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Any more recent DP's on transfers to SQ?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Less than 24 hours for me this week. (US) TYP to KF.

Originally Posted by MarkP24
Any more recent DP's on transfers to SQ?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 7:52 am

I have been holding out for a transfer bonus, now I’m wondering if Citi thank you points even has bonuses for travel partners transfers?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 8:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jdmalibu
I have been holding out for a transfer bonus, now I’m wondering if Citi thank you points even has bonuses for travel partners transfers?
Have you done anything crazy like typing "Citi Thank You transfer bonuses" into Google and reading the results?

Regards

Spoiler: They do, but not that often.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by phant0m
Pretty much. I tried multiple different hotels, different days, all the math works out to 1.6 CPP. One of the blogs mentioned 1.6 CPP as well. I swapped my Prestige 4th Night Free booking to a points booking. 760k points for a $13k stay. It hurt my point stash but I guess it’s better than out of pocket.
Anyone transferred to LHW recently? Tried this morning for the first time, and it’s definitely not instant.

Update: to answer my own question, it took 9 hours for the transfer to process.

Last edited by ps9a; Mar 24, 2024 at 6:55 pm
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by ps9a
Anyone transferred to LHW recently? Tried this morning for the first time, and it’s definitely not instant.

Update: to answer my own question, it took 9 hours for the transfer to process.
That's a while, when I did mine it was instant.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Any issues transferring to EVA lately? I've tried three times the past two weeks that all came back rejected after a few days. The second time was processed by a phone agent who mentioned there is an issue and may continue to be rejected for a couple weeks. Agent stated it's not a name issue even though Citi has a middle initial and EVA has the full middle name.

Based on the DP's above, it doesn't seem to be all of Citi partners.
Old Apr 3, 2024, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
Any issues transferring to EVA lately? I've tried three times the past two weeks that all came back rejected after a few days. The second time was processed by a phone agent who mentioned there is an issue and may continue to be rejected for a couple weeks. Agent stated it's not a name issue even though Citi has a middle initial and EVA has the full middle name.

Based on the DP's above, it doesn't seem to be all of Citi partners.
A bit out of the two-week window, but I had a transfer initiated for on March 20, and received points in my BR account on March 22.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Apr 3, 2024 at 6:16 pm
Old Apr 3, 2024, 1:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
A bit out of the two-week window, but I had a transfer initiated on March 20, and received points on March 22.
this was for EVA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.