Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Old Feb 1, 2022, 10:24 am

What's the timing of transfers to Turkish M&S now? It's been 24 hours so far (last time I did this - took less than a day, but it's been a long time)

Edit: took 2 days
sdsearch likes this.

Last edited by tr3k; Feb 2, 2022 at 8:09 am
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:05 am

Has anyone tried to transfer to EVA the past 3 months? I've transferred a bunch of times the last 5 years and it always got there in a couple of days. The last time being in March 2021. I put in a new transfer on Feb 3nd and still nothing.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
TK transfer issues?

Ive been transferring TYP to my Turkish M&S account for years as recent as fall 21. Now multiple attempts and not able togives error message. Multiple phone calls to TYP have resulted in the useless advice of well keep trying. Anyone else having issues?
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:07 pm

ThankYou Points Transfer Disabled?

Was trying to transfer some TYP to Virgin and it was throwing an "information does not match" error. So I called into their phone help and the guy immediately told me that they "turned off all points transfers to airlines about 2 months ago and we don't know when they will be turned back on".

My initial thought was this sounds like absolute ........, and I said that I don't see anything about it online and that it seems like something that major would be all over the award travel spaces.

Planning to call back and try to get a different person but was wondering if anyone had any experience with this or issues with transferring in general.

EDIT: Looks like this got merged and edited but just wanted to update that unsurprisingly the guy was full of it. There was an issue with the name on the account not matching perfectly (one had my suffix and the other didn't). I found it easier to just delete the old Virgin account and recreate it with the proper name since neither would let me edit the name without going through security. Plan accordingly.

Last edited by dangeruss; Mar 1, 2022 at 2:49 pm Reason: Update
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:40 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by dangeruss
....told me that they "turned off all points transfers to airlines about 2 months ago ....
Scroll back to read recent posts in this thread, which do suggest there are problems with the Transfer function, but the feature is still listed for Prestige and Premier cards (and of other cards on a more limited basis.)
Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Best Hotel Partner for LA?

I have a lot of upcoming trips to LA and wanted to use my ThankYou Points for the hotel stays. I have 85,000 ThankYou Points that I was gonna use, but I'm not sure which program will give me the best bang for my buck? Especially for the LA area which can differ greatly from program to program. I have almost zero knowledge of the Citi ThankYou program (let alone hotel programs) so any advice on this matter would be appreciated. I am a Citi Premier holder.

PS If the value for hotels is really that bad, I will save them for something like SQ

Thank you
Old Apr 27, 2022, 6:25 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
There are two hotel transfer partners:

Choice: 1000:2000
Wyndham: 1000:1000

If you know some dates, it should be straightforward to compare the redemption value of 170,000 Choice points versus 85,000 Wyndham points.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by mia

If you know some dates, it should be straightforward to compare the redemption value of 170,000 Choice points versus 85,000 Wyndham points.
Yeah there are some good choice hotels in LA for 16k a night. So if Im getting 2 to 1 thats probably where I will transfer to. Thank you for that help!
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:22 pm

Do you know how long it usually takes to transfer to Choice Hotels?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 8:28 pm

Just to answer my own question it was instant.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia

Another factor for anyone else that might be reading this: Choice points expiration can be extended indefinitely, but Wyndham points have a "hard' expiration at 4 years (that only some tricks like transferring up to 30k a year to Caesar's and then back can work around if your Wyndham points balance isn't too high). So if you're not absolutely sure that you'll use all of the points, and given that you can't transfer them back to Citi TYP, it's safer to leave them "parked" at Choice than "parked" at Wyndham.
mia and MaxVO like this.
Old May 3, 2022, 10:22 pm

Got an email from Citi - 25% bonus when transferring to Flying Blue. Ends May 20.
Old May 4, 2022, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Got an email from Citi - 25% bonus when transferring to Flying Blue. Ends May 20.
I got the same email. No idea how to use the Flying Blue program. Does that help us or give us any good deals?
Old May 4, 2022, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
... No idea how to use the Flying Blue program. Does that help us or give us any good deals?
I recently found a decent use for Flying Blue -- short non-stop flights within Europe from their hubs. Unfortunately most other redemptions would value points at less than 1.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:30 pm

Any rumors if Aadvantage is going to back as a transfer partner this year?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.