Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
Q. Can I transfer Thank You points to airline programs?

A. Yes, but only from a TYP account tied to one of the following premium (fee-based) Citi cards:
  • Premier
  • Prestige
  • Chairman

Exception: Citi Preferred or Rewards+ cardholders can transfer to JetBlue at a less favorable rate (1000:500). They cannot transfer to other airline or hotel programs except as explained in the next paragraph .

Points earned through other cards -- such as the Citi Preferred or Rewards+ -- are eligible for transfer to airline programs, provided you also hold one of the premium cards listed above.

ThankYou Points earned through banking and customer service adjustments are called Taxable Points. Citi reports them as taxable when they are redeemed, not when they are earned. Citi does not allow Taxable Points to be Shared or Transferred, because they cannot determine a monetary value for those redemptions. However, the IT implementation of this policy may be imperfect. In 2015 one member was able to Transfer points earned through banking shortly after combining two ThankYou Rewards accounts. See posts 207-210, but no one has replicated this success.

Q. Which airline programs can I transfer TYP into?

A. TYP may be transferred 1:1 to these airline programs:

OneWorld
  • Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (CX)
  • Malaysia Airlines Enrich (MH)
  • Qantas Frequent Flyer (QF)
  • Qatar Airways Privilege Club (QR)

SkyTeam
  • Aeromexico Club Premier
  • Flying Blue: Air France (AF), KLM (KL) and others
  • Garuda Indonesia GarudaMiles (GA)
  • Virgin Atlantic (VS)

Star Alliance
  • Avianca LifeMiles (AV)
  • EVA Air Infinity MileageLands (BR)
  • Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer (SQ)
  • Thai Airways Royal Orchid Plus (TG)
  • Turkish Airlines (TK)

Independent
  • Etihad Guest (EY)
  • Emirates Skywards (EK)
  • Jet Airways (9W)
  • jetBlue (B6) (TYP 1000 = 800 B6)

and to these hotel programs:
  • ALL - Accor Live Limitless ( TYP 1000 = 500 ALL)
  • Choice Privileges (TYP 1000 = 2000 Choice)
  • Leading Hotels of the World Leaders Club (TYP 1000 = 200 LC)
  • Wyndham Rewards

and to this retail program:
  • Shop Your Way (Sears) (at ratio 1 TYP: 12 SYW)

Q: After I transfer, when will my miles expire at that airline/hotel program? Is there anything I can do to avoid expiration there?

The Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire wiki now lists all of the above Citi TYP airline/hotel transfer partners and their respective expiration policies.

Q. Are transfers instant?

A. Not necessarily. Although Citi's FAQ states that it may take up to fourteen days for the ThankYou Points to post to your participating travel loyalty program member account, anecdotal evidence suggests that many transfer times will be much shorter. A summary:

Q. Can I transfer to another person's airline or hotel program account?

A. Per the Citi FAQ,
No. The first and last names on both the ThankYou Member Account and the participating travel loyalty program member's account must match in order to transfer points using the Points Transfer feature.
We do not have many reports describing how strictly this rule is applied/enforced, nor any reports on workarounds. One FTer, in his first post ever, claimed success in transfering TYP to another person's Etihad (EY) account.

Keep in mind that TYP may be freely Shared with another TYP member's account (with the points expiring 90 days after transfer). If the recipient member has a transfer-eligible card (as described above), s/he can Transfer points to airline or hotel partners.

Print Wikipost

Citi ThankYou Points (TYPs): airline and hotel transfer partners

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2023, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by gnomey
can you confirm if the following is the case for Eva FF account?

on Eva Infinity Mileageland account website, once logged in and FF account verified, name will appear as "Langman Peter" because Langman is english family name and Peter is english given name.

and if my name on credit card points transfer website appears as "Peter Langman", will i have problems getting the TYP points transferred successfully?

thanks for any insights
Should be fine as it's not uncommon for tickets to display last name first and EVA probably has names hard-coded in the order names in some Asian languages are typically displayed. One thing to notes is that if you have a middle name on your passport, you might want to update that with EVA. When the phone agent discovered my passport was not a 100% match with the reservation (booked off my EVA account which did not have a middle name), we had to put in a name change request and reissue the ticket. Then don't be alarmed if your profile page shows "LANGMAN, PETERMIDDLENAME" without spaces like on a boarding pass
gnomey likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 5:17 am

I have a problem getting into my Thank You account - this is on going for about 9 months - had no need to use my points, therefore did not pursue. Now I want to search flights/hotels and still can not get in
I can see my credit card info and total points but when I try to go to T.Y. site it takes me to a T.Y. screen to sign in and when I do, it just takes me back to the credit card info main page - it goes in a circular motion
I have tried to log in directly to Thank You and when I do log in it also takes me to my credit card info

I called CITI tech support, they just tell me it is a known issue and working on it!!- hung up and re=called many times
I have 300k points and want to "search"
anyone has had this "ongoing" situation ?
Any thoughts on what to do?
I do not want to get a check or blindly transfer to an airline --not even sure if I could do that on the phone
Old Feb 12, 2023, 7:26 am

I assume you tried other devices and an incognito browser? I can’t login on iPhone in any browser but can in windows no problem.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:33 am

I tried no help - tried with and without vpn

now I get the "verify" screen and only choice is call to my home in states - I am overseas so can not get the call
Old Feb 12, 2023, 10:52 am

I have the same problem, where it just reverts to login screen from Firefox browser. I was able to get there via Chrome browser. I also was able to access the TYP account by going directly to the thankyou.com site.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:45 pm

Thanks-- but it does not work still going around in a circle
Old Feb 12, 2023, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by SPLP007
...I have 300k points ...
Any thoughts on what to do?
I do not want to get a check or blindly transfer to an airline --not even sure if I could do that on the phone
I'd be rather nervous about such large balance without a ready access to the account. Perhaps it's due to me having lost some TYP many years ago. In this situation I'd probably opt for cashing or transferring 100K TYP a year until account access is restored. This can easily be done with an agent over the phone.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I'd be rather nervous about such large balance without a ready access to the account. Perhaps it's due to me having lost some TYP many years ago. In this situation I'd probably opt for cashing or transferring 100K TYP a year until account access is restored. This can easily be done with an agent over the phone.
Thanks, will give it some thought - I have thought about doing ALL the points and just close my accounts --I will try and call CITI one more time

Citi should change the name of the corporation to "SNAFU INC."
they were a huge part of the Am.Airline shut down--
the length of time for them to switch over to a new travel agency!
CITI is the 3rd largest bank in America -scary!!--- Chase, AMX etc run like well oiled machines
Old Apr 27, 2023, 8:47 am

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
TY Point Account Access w iOS App When Browsers Go In Circles

Originally Posted by SPLP007
Thanks-- but it does not work still going around in a circle
I have been having this same problem for months with all browsers I have tried (Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, Brave... all three in both incognito and normal modes). Called and spent over an hour on the phone with Citi with no luck. Without their help, I then discovered the Citi Mobile app on my iPhone does provide access.
  • Touch the TY Point summary of total points.
  • Options include Book Travel, Shop with Points, Gift Cards, Pay with Points, and More Ways to Redeem.
  • Touch "More Ways to Redeem" to get into the TY account.
  • Touch the Menu at top left for all the TY account options not available on the Citi.com web page
  • My Account, then Point Summary option even allows me to see points earned (by credit card/account) and spent going back to 2007 when I joined.
The only thing I can't find is the main thing I was looking for... point balance by credit card. I used to get that by clicking on the "points expiring in the next 90 days" link, even if 0 were expiring, and then I could see balances by card. I wanted to see how many points are associated with my TY Premier card.
Old May 3, 2023, 6:56 am

Do Citi Transfer Partners (airlines & hotels) Pay Citi Bank for the TYP that get transferred?
Old May 3, 2023, 8:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by WhateverDude
Do Citi Transfer Partners (airlines & hotels) Pay Citi Bank for the TYP that get transferred?
When we transfer ThankYou Rewards to an airline or hotel program, Citi buys miles/points from the airline or hotel program.
Old May 26, 2023, 2:49 am

Accor - ALL Reward Points

Just noticed that Citi got a third hotel transfer partner!
1000 TYP = 500 ALL Reward Points.
Has anyone on this forum actually used ALL reward points?
I'd love to hear any comments if this new transfer partner has any chance of becoming a worthwhile redemption.
Spoiler

mia likes this.

Last edited by MaxVO; May 26, 2023 at 2:55 am
Old May 26, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: Kettle Class
Originally Posted by MaxVO
I'd love to hear any comments if this new transfer partner has any chance of becoming a worthwhile redemption.

IMO, the 2:1 transfer ratio from TYP to ALL makes the addition not very exciting. ALL points have a fixed redemption value and at the current transfer ratio they're only barely more valuable than the TYP floor value of 1c per point.
MaxVO and 36902BRF like this.
Old Jun 8, 2023, 10:10 am

If I were to add an AU to my account, would I be able to transfer TYP to that AU's frequent flyer's account? (i dont have the ability to get citi cards)
Old Jun 8, 2023, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by kaiotes
If I were to add an AU to my account, would I be able to transfer TYP to that AU's frequent flyer's account? (i dont have the ability to get citi cards)
Check out "POINT SHARING" feature. It does not require having an AU.
https://www.thankyou.com/cms/thankyo...lp&src=TYUSENG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.