Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vah4883
Limited-time offers
Hilton HHonors American Express card. 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months; no annual fee. Ends May 31, 2017
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 ; $95 annual fee.
Hilton HHonors American Express card application page. 75,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months; no annual fee.
Public offer expired Feb 1, 2017 (this link brings up a page: "This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest."), but Refer a Friend links still active. This one has the referral ID stripped out.

Citi HH Visa 40K application page (spend $1K/4 mos.)
  • This offer does not contain an explicit 24-month restriction.
    If you apply using this link & are not instantly approved, DO NOT CALL CITI.
    Calling in risks alerting Citi to the offer and having it withdrawn.

Ongoing offers
Amex HH Surpass Card
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 75K points for spending $3K in the first 3 months.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

FlyerTalk discussion thread: The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
  • Annual fee: $95, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 2 free weekend nights after $2500 in spend within four months. These free nights are valid at all Hilton redemption categories, including Waldorf Astoria properties.
  • Anniversary bonus: 1 free weekend night each year after $10,000 in spend.
  • Earning: 10 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend, 5 points per dollar on air and car rental, and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • No foreign currency transaction fees.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months.."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
Citi HH Visa 60K application page. You can also apply by calling 1-866-615-2274.
  • No annual fee.
  • Signup bonus: 60K points for spending $1K in the first 4 months
  • Earning: 6 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 3 points/$ at U.S. supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; and 2 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card.
  • Fast track To Gold status: After four qualifying stays within your first 91 days of cardmembership, receive Gold status through the end of the following calendar year.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose]
Basic Amex HH Card
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.) + $50 credit for first purchase: Make a dummy reservation on Hilton site. Offer will appear on page before final booking. (Cannot be linked to directly.)
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.)
  • No annual fee.
  • Earning: 7 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 5 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card and Gold status after $20,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
FAQ
1. Are these cards churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

In August 2016, Citi began inserting language into applications and landing pages requiring a 24-month wait from the date of the opening or closure of any Citi Hilton card. Previously, the Citi Hilton Signature Visa and Reserve cards were on separate clocks for each applicant. Now there is a single 24-month clock reset by open/close of either type of card. For more info, see the wiki at Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose].

2. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
For Amex cards, the bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. For Citi products, bonus points post only at statement close.

3. What happened to the Amex drugstore category spending bonus?
Changes to Hilton Amex cards as of May 2013 are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
This link redirects to this landing page. Application page.
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade. (This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.) There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.

5. Does having one of these Hilton cards preclude me from successfully earning the signup bonus on a different one?
No. All four cards are separate products. Having (or having previously had) one of them has no effect on your bonus eligibility for the others--but note, as discussed in FAQ #1, that opening or closing any Citi Hilton card will affect your eligibility for any new Citi Hilton card bonus.

Print Wikipost

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Your math seems off. September 2015 to March 2017 is only a bit over 1 1/2 years, not 2 1/2.

And actually, if it works like other ways to get Gold, the maximum time to get it is right after the start of the year (not late in the year), since if you qualify after that start of the year you get it for that year, the next full year, plus the first couple months of the year after that. I qualified for Gold though the (no longer available) Premium Milepoint promo in January 2014 and I'm Gold through March 2016.

Anytime after that start of the year it's shorter, since it's then only the remainder of that year, plus the next full year, plus the first couple months of the year after that.
Yes 1 1/2 years but I have downgraded the Surpass card before the end of the year to the NAF card before and then received a new HH card stating I was Gold for the following 15 months expiring in March.

My gold expired 3/2015 but I haven't had a Surpass card since 2013 prior to the card I got a couple months ago. When I downgraded in 2013 my Gold was set to expire 3/2014 but Hilton extended me another year.

I had a similar experience on my first Surpass card

Last edited by flyer4512; Dec 11, 2015 at 6:50 pm
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I'm not sure if you HAVE to do it that way. Maybe you don't. But AMEX can be somewhat sticky with it's app bonuses. I always err on the side of caution with them.

However, if your regular AMEX HH card is less than a year old, you probably do have to do it that way. Due to the Card Act regulations that preclude "upgrades within a year of applying". I know when I tried to apply for a Surpass within that first year, the app wouldn't even load for me if I was signed in. Instead it took me to a page to apply for a AU card on my current HH card. When I applied being signed out, and using in-private the app loaded just fine.
That is precisely my point - why would you need to sign in first then sign out if you are going to apply it anew?! This step is totally unnecessary.

What you should do is do NOT sign in at all. Clear any cookie / cache of AMEX site if you visited it before you apply. Then to be safe, do the application in incognito or private browsing mode.

The goal is not to have any trace to show you are an AMEX existing customer, hence you DONT sign in at all.

Finally, you are confused the new application with upgrade. C.A.R.D. does not prevent you to apply a new card, but it prevents you to upgrade from a no fee card to a fee card in less than 12 months. When you apply a new card which has fee, that has absolutely NOTHING to do with your existing no fee card. Hence nothing to do with C.A.R.D. restriction.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Your math seems off. September 2015 to March 2017 is only a bit over 1 1/2 years, not 2 1/2.

And actually, if it works like other ways to get Gold, the maximum time to get it is right after the start of the year (not late in the year), since if you qualify after that start of the year you get it for that year, the next full year, plus the first couple months of the year after that. I qualified for Gold though the (no longer available) Premium Milepoint promo in January 2014 and I'm Gold through March 2016.

Anytime after that start of the year it's shorter, since it's then only the remainder of that year, plus the next full year, plus the first couple months of the year after that.
The new Surpass gives current year, the following year and thru March the 3rd year, even after you have cancelled / downgraded the card after the first year according on multiple data points either on this thread or the other thread. Those who are interested can go back to dig it up.

As you said if the upgrade route works the same way, and I believe it works the same way based on what flyer posted, the optimal time to upgrade is at the beginning of the year - so it would be gold the current year, the following year, and thru March the 3rd year - it is never 2 1/2 year as the 3rd year is only up to end of March. The maximum potential is 27 months assuming your new Surpass is in January.

Yes, I agree with you the optimal time is to get the gold as early as possible in a year. I lost mine in Mar 2015 but spouse had regained his in March thru the MVP or Carlson challenge (forgot which one he signed up and it was done before his existing Gold lapsed). I was planning to regain mine at the beginning of 2016. There is no more such need as now both of us are matched to Diamonds thru March 2017 so we only need to review the options at the beginning of 2017.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 12, 2015 at 3:43 pm
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Happy
why would you need to sign in first then sign out if you are going to apply it anew?! This step is totally unnecessary.

What you should do is do NOT sign in at all.

The goal is not to have any trace to show you are an AMEX existing customer, hence you DONT sign in at all.

Finally, you are confused the new application with upgrade. C.A.R.D. does not prevent you to apply a new card, but it prevents you to upgrade from a no fee card to a fee card in less than 12 months. When you apply a new card which has fee, that has absolutely NOTHING to do with your existing no fee card. Hence nothing to do with C.A.R.D. restriction.
I sign in, and log out, because I may very well have signed in a previous day and not logged out that day. Then although AMEX would require me to sign in to see my personal webpage again, the cookie involved still considers me signed in. I found that out when I tried to pull up the Surpass app page, and AMEX refused to allow me to do that. I mistakenly thought that the app no longer existed, but someone on this thread told me to actively log out, and then the app came right up.

As for the CARD act, I know what it says, but my experience is that if AMEX sees you have a regular HH card that has been open less than 12 months, they won't let you apply for a Surpass, even though the law may not explicitly require that.

The things that you posted are most likely totally correct. But if it takes me an extra 3 minutes to set up an app, just to make sure everything goes as planned, I'm willing to take those few extra steps that might not be absolutely necessary, rather than risk a failed app/bonus. Especially with AMEX...

Edit: the previous cookie shouldn't matter, if one is using in private, but I have on occasion had a site recognize who I am before I even try to sign on when using in private. I know it's not supposed to work that way, but there are glitches now and again...
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Set your browser to NOT accept 3rd party cookies except from the sites visited. This seems to take care of A Lot of the issues of the spying cookies and cookies that keep track of you.

Set your browser privacy setting to DELETE all cookies, caches and browsing history when you close the browser.

The Incognito / Private browsing is the double-insurance.

My guess is your extra steps may have do more harm than good. But if you believe it works, then stick by it. Though I believe the issues mostly likely is in your privacy setting of your browser.

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
I sign in, and log out, because I may very well have signed in a previous day and not logged out that day. Then although AMEX would require me to sign in to see my personal webpage again, the cookie involved still considers me signed in. I found that out when I tried to pull up the Surpass app page, and AMEX refused to allow me to do that. I mistakenly thought that the app no longer existed, but someone on this thread told me to actively log out, and then the app came right up.

As for the CARD act, I know what it says, but my experience is that if AMEX sees you have a regular HH card that has been open less than 12 months, they won't let you apply for a Surpass, even though the law may not explicitly require that.

The things that you posted are most likely totally correct. But if it takes me an extra 3 minutes to set up an app, just to make sure everything goes as planned, I'm willing to take those few extra steps that might not be absolutely necessary, rather than risk a failed app/bonus. Especially with AMEX...

Edit: the previous cookie shouldn't matter, if one is using in private, but I have on occasion had a site recognize who I am before I even try to sign on when using in private. I know it's not supposed to work that way, but there are glitches now and again...

Last edited by Happy; Dec 12, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:30 am

Is this promotion at the top of this thread still good? On the landing page it says expires 10/31/15.

Citi HH Visa 75K (spend $2K/3mos.). Includes $25 credit on $200+ qualifying car rental.
[Landing page | Application page]

Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 18 months."
Old Dec 18, 2015, 6:25 am

Hi guys, does Amex still issue bonus after a few days of meeting spending requirement? I completed $3000 for my 1st HH Surpass about five days ago, but no sign of bonus now.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 11:18 pm

I recently PC'ed my Amex Delta to the no-fee Amex Hilton to avoid the annual fee. I just saw the 60k bonus on this no-fee Amex Hilton card. If I applied for the card today, would I still get the signup bonus after completing the spending requirement? Thank you!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by codenameXXX
I recently PC'ed my Amex Delta to the no-fee Amex Hilton to avoid the annual fee. I just saw the 60k bonus on this no-fee Amex Hilton card. If I applied for the card today, would I still get the signup bonus after completing the spending requirement? Thank you!
Beware, AMEX will issue you a card, even when they have already decided that you do not qualify for a bonus.

At no point will they even inform you that you don't qualify, they will simply not award it. The only way you will find that out is when you call to ask why you haven't gotten it yet. Then they will tell you....

Sadly, my interpretation of this clause from the AMEX HH app is that you don't qualify:

"If we identify you as currently having an American Express® Card account, you may not be eligible for this welcome bonus offer. This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product."
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by codenameXXX
No.

That's why you should never PC to a card that you might someday want the signup bonus on. Either cancel the card you don't want (without PCing), or choose to PC to a card you definitely don't care if you ever get a signup bonus on.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Plat, SPG Plat
Bonus Points Posting

Hello,

Just signed up for the card. My close date is in a few days for the month and made the required spend for the BASIC AMEX HILTON CC. I am trying to make a trip in a little over a month to Israel, anyone know how long the bonus points take to post to HHonors account? Per the agreement it says 6-8 weeks Thanks.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:54 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by wjnelson04
Hello,

Just signed up for the card. My close date is in a few days for the month and made the required spend for the BASIC AMEX HILTON CC. I am trying to make a trip in a little over a month to Israel, anyone know how long the bonus points take to post to HHonors account? Per the agreement it says 6-8 weeks Thanks.
My experience: from the AMEX cards the HH points post as soon as the billing cycle closes provided you meet the minimum spending requirements.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Hilton Card Sign Up Bonus

I got the Amex Hilton HHonnors card purely to get the 60k bonus points for a redemption this March. I'm going to hit the $500 spend threshold in the first month, should the bonus points post as soon as a pay off the bill? Or will I have to wait for the first 3 months to pass?

Thanks
Old Jan 17, 2016, 8:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator actions

Originally Posted by hi55us
... should the bonus points post as soon as a pay off the bill? Or will I have to wait for the first 3 months to pass?
I have moved your question into an established thread on this topic. Scroll back just two posts to read the answer to your question.

---------------

Separately, discussion about HHonors points expiration has been moved to the Hilton forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...-expiring.html
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hi55us
I got the Amex Hilton HHonnors card purely to get the 60k bonus points for a redemption this March. I'm going to hit the $500 spend threshold in the first month, should the bonus points post as soon as a pay off the bill? Or will I have to wait for the first 3 months to pass?
Just make super sure that your spend threshold is only $500. I've not heard of that before. Every offer listed in this thread's wiki has a spend threshold of $750, $1000, or more.

The last thing you want to do is pass the deadline for spend only to realize you had the wrong spend threshold. Amex is not lenient about this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.