Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vah4883
Limited-time offers
Hilton HHonors American Express card. 80,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months; no annual fee. Ends May 31, 2017
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card. 100,000 points for spending $3,000 ; $95 annual fee.
Hilton HHonors American Express card application page. 75,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months; no annual fee.
Public offer expired Feb 1, 2017 (this link brings up a page: "This campaign has expired. Thank you for your interest."), but Refer a Friend links still active. This one has the referral ID stripped out.

Citi HH Visa 40K application page (spend $1K/4 mos.)
  • This offer does not contain an explicit 24-month restriction.
    If you apply using this link & are not instantly approved, DO NOT CALL CITI.
    Calling in risks alerting Citi to the offer and having it withdrawn.

Ongoing offers
Amex HH Surpass Card
  • Annual fee: $75, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 75K points for spending $3K in the first 3 months.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

FlyerTalk discussion thread: The Hilton HHonors® Surpass(SM) Card from American Express
Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
  • Annual fee: $95, no first-year waiver.
  • Signup bonus: 2 free weekend nights after $2500 in spend within four months. These free nights are valid at all Hilton redemption categories, including Waldorf Astoria properties.
  • Anniversary bonus: 1 free weekend night each year after $10,000 in spend.
  • Earning: 10 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend, 5 points per dollar on air and car rental, and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • No foreign currency transaction fees.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Weekend Night Certificates offer is not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months.."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve Card
Citi HH Visa 60K application page. You can also apply by calling 1-866-615-2274.
  • No annual fee.
  • Signup bonus: 60K points for spending $1K in the first 4 months
  • Earning: 6 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 3 points/$ at U.S. supermarkets, drugstores & gas stations; and 2 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card.
  • Fast track To Gold status: After four qualifying stays within your first 91 days of cardmembership, receive Gold status through the end of the following calendar year.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Hilton HHonors Bonus Points offer not available if you have had a Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card account that was opened or closed in the past 24 months."

Flyertalk discussion thread: Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose]
Basic Amex HH Card
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.) + $50 credit for first purchase: Make a dummy reservation on Hilton site. Offer will appear on page before final booking. (Cannot be linked to directly.)
Offer for 50K points (spend $750/3mos.)
  • No annual fee.
  • Earning: 7 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 5 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; and 3 on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Silver status for as long as you have the card and Gold status after $20,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card
FAQ
1. Are these cards churnable?
As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

In August 2016, Citi began inserting language into applications and landing pages requiring a 24-month wait from the date of the opening or closure of any Citi Hilton card. Previously, the Citi Hilton Signature Visa and Reserve cards were on separate clocks for each applicant. Now there is a single 24-month clock reset by open/close of either type of card. For more info, see the wiki at Citi Hilton HHonors VISA [60k-75k, read Wiki to choose].

2. I have met the spending. When will my bonus post?
For Amex cards, the bonus will post a few days after meeting the spend. The points from the actual spend will post after statement is generated. For Citi products, bonus points post only at statement close.

3. What happened to the Amex drugstore category spending bonus?
Changes to Hilton Amex cards as of May 2013 are explained here:
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...at-we-thought/

4. What is the link to upgrade from no fee card to Surpass card for 50,000 after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months?
This link redirects to this landing page. Application page.
You need to be logged into your Amex account first, then click on the link above, then click Upgrade. (This does not work for all people. It is suspected that only people that have had the no-fee card for at least one year are able to upgrade to the Surpass card.) There is generally no hard pull on your credit report for upgrading.

5. Does having one of these Hilton cards preclude me from successfully earning the signup bonus on a different one?
No. All four cards are separate products. Having (or having previously had) one of them has no effect on your bonus eligibility for the others--but note, as discussed in FAQ #1, that opening or closing any Citi Hilton card will affect your eligibility for any new Citi Hilton card bonus.

Print Wikipost

Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by opus2002
I want to apply for the Citi Hilton 75k bonus offer with a deadline of October 31, 2015, but my last Citi Hilton application was April 11, 2013. While it is technically 18 months since last application, do you think it is safe now to apply?
Citi is known to have counting problems, so who knows?

Two thoughts: Is that a written deadline on the landing page? If so, it may or may not expire then. If you think the month matters most, you might want to wait until the early morning of Nov 1 and hope at least the application page (even if not the landing page) is still alive then. Then it'll be 18.5 months by days, and 19 months by months.
Also, I have already two exiting Citi Hilton cards. Can I get a 3rd one?
And a 4th one, and 5th one, and a 6th one, and a 7th one.

But your total credit limit at Citi is a different story. You hopefully reduced the credit limit on some of those already. Unfortunately, credit limit reductions can take several weeks before they're available for new card applications, so if you're planning to apply for the new card by Nov 1, then it's already too late to do credit limit reductions on existing cards and have the free'd credit limit available by next weekend.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:01 pm

I want to apply for the Citi Hilton 75k bonus offer with a deadline of October 31, 2015, but my last Citi Hilton application was April 11, 2013. While it is technically 18 months since last application, do you think it is safe now to apply?

Also, I have already two exiting Citi Hilton cards. Can I get a 3rd one?
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Citi is known to have counting problems, so who knows?

Two thoughts: Is that a written deadline on the landing page? If so, it may or may not expire then. If you think the month matters most, you might want to wait until the early morning of Nov 1 and hope at least the application page (even if not the landing page) is still alive then. Then it'll be 18.5 months by days, and 19 months by months.
Is it me of is your math off. If his last app was April 11 , 2013 it's been over 2 1/2 years.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
Is it me of is your math off. If his last app was April 11 , 2013 it's been over 2 1/2 years.
Oh, I missed that, because opus2002 said "technically 18 months", so it sounds like either the opus2002's math was off, or the "2013" itself in opus2002's post was the typo, because I don't see how 30.5 months (18.5+12) would be described as "technically 18 months".
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Oh, I missed that, because opus2002 said "technically 18 months", so it sounds like either the opus2002's math was off, or the "2013" itself in opus2002's post was the typo, because I don't see how 30.5 months (18.5+12) would be described as "technically 18 months".
Sorry...it is me that is off. Last application was April 11, 2014 [not 2013 as I wrote].

Thank you for all your replies. I think I'll wait until Nov 1, 2015. The 75k spend $2000 is from the link I in the wiki here.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry...it is me that is off. Last application was April 11, 2014 [not 2013 as I wrote].

Thank you for all your replies. I think I'll wait until Nov 1, 2015. The 75k spend $2000 is from the link I in the wiki here.
Oh, just to make sure: You still have that card from April 11, 2014, right? (Because it's 18 months from the last opening or last closing of any Citi HH Visa no-fee card.)
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:39 pm

Do you need Hilton points that bad ? If not I wouldn't cut it so close. Remember , if you get denied you not only don't get the bonus but also start the 18 month clock again.

Do you have the Hilton Reserve card ? Hilton Amex and Surpass ? Not the best redemption by a long shot but a CITI TYP will get you 75K Hilton.

I plan on waiting about 20 months.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA BA CO DL UA US
Oh, just to make sure: You still have that card from April 11, 2014, right? (Because it's 18 months from the last opening or last closing of any Citi HH Visa no-fee card.)
Yes, I still have the card. So, no closing or opening since then.

Do you need Hilton points that bad ? If not I wouldn't cut it so close. Remember , if you get denied you not only don't get the bonus but also start the 18 month clock again.

Do you have the Hilton Reserve card ? Hilton Amex and Surpass ? Not the best redemption by a long shot but a CITI TYP will get you 75K Hilton.

I plan on waiting about 20 months.
Oh, I did not know that if you get denied, the clock starts again. I better hold off then. The only reason I wanted the Hilton quickly was due to the 75k offer, versus the 50k normally seen. I guess I better wait until December then just to be sure or go for other offers.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I still have the card. So, no closing or opening since then.

Oh, I did not know that if you get denied, the clock starts again. I better hold off then. The only reason I wanted the Hilton quickly was due to the 75k offer, versus the 50k normally seen. I guess I better wait until December then just to be sure or go for other offers.
You still seem to not understand fully the terms of the 18 months.

Read the fine print on the application - if you have OPENED or CLOSED the same card within the past 18 months, you are not eligible for another bonus.

No, you do not need to be denied of the card, Citi WILL give you the card if your credit check passed its system. BUT Citi's system will strip the bonus from your account and the approval/welcome letter is ABSENT the language of the Welcome Bonus.

There are experiments made by others on the 75K offer when the 18 months conditions are not met - all received the cards but NO BONUS.

This is not particular aimed to you, but to everyone who is in the game - PLEASE read the fine prints and UNDERSTAND what it means so you do not waste your HP and worse, reset the clock. Every application in Citi's system would reset its various clock - whether it relates to the bonus eligibility or the rules on how many cards you can apply within a set time period (the infamous, often asked, rule of 60/65 days).
Old Oct 29, 2015, 12:32 am

Just to be clear what I meant was that you were approved for the card but denied the bonus because 18 months had not passed.

As Happy mentioned, CITI will still give you the card if you are approved but unless you get a letter stating that you will get 75K ( in this case) bonus you won't get any bonus points and will restart the 18 month clock.

If you were outright denied the card I don't THINK that would effect the 18 month timeline.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 6:53 am

If you were outright denied the card I don't THINK that would effect the 18 month timeline.
The clock is restarted by opening or closing an account. If you were denied a card, nothing would have been opened or closed.

Having an app denied does however restart the clock for 8/65.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
The clock is restarted by opening or closing an account. If you were denied a card, nothing would have been opened or closed.

Having an app denied does however restart the clock for 8/65.
Makes sense but since I never had that scenario ( getting denied by Citi) play out I didn't want to say for sure.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I have a targeted 75K offer from Citi that expires on Nov 15 that does not have the 18-month language any where on the (snail mailed) offer. Does this mean I can apply for the 75K offer in the wiki with the 18-month language then 8 days later apply for my targeted offer and get both bonuses?
Old Oct 30, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Namaste1
I have a targeted 75K offer from Citi that expires on Nov 15 that does not have the 18-month language any where on the (snail mailed) offer. Does this mean I can apply for the 75K offer in the wiki with the 18-month language then 8 days later apply for my targeted offer and get both bonuses?

Are you sure it doesn't have the 75K language ? My dad got a targeted offer via the mail and it was there but you had to look close.

If it's been 18 months since your last Hiton Visa card was closed or opened apply for the offer in the Wiki............then 8 days later ( assuming you have not applied for any other citi cards in a while) apply for you targeted offer.

If EITHER of the approval letters from Citi don't mention the 75K bonus you can pretty much be sure you won't get the bonus for that card and then it's up to you if you want to make the $2k spend just to be sure.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Are you sure it doesn't have the 75K language ? My dad got a targeted offer via the mail and it was there but you had to look close.

If it's been 18 months since your last Hiton Visa card was closed or opened apply for the offer in the Wiki............then 8 days later ( assuming you have not applied for any other citi cards in a while) apply for you targeted offer.

If EITHER of the approval letters from Citi don't mention the 75K bonus you can pretty much be sure you won't get the bonus for that card and then it's up to you if you want to make the $2k spend just to be sure.
I've never opened a Hilton HH card. I looked pretty closely at the mailed offer, read twice front to back, and didn't see the 18-month language anywhere. Do you remember where you saw the 18-month language? I do see under terms and conditions where it mentions this offer is only valid for new accounts but no mention of 18 months.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Namaste1
I've never opened a Hilton HH card. I looked pretty closely at the mailed offer, read twice front to back, and didn't see the 18-month language anywhere. Do you remember where you saw the 18-month language? I do see under terms and conditions where it mentions this offer is only valid for new accounts but no mention of 18 months.
Just follow my instructions above, use the app WITH the 18 month language ( Wiki ) now then in say 10 days go for app that targeted you. Make sure the letter saying you were approved has the 75K mentioned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.