Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Great find. I know that you get the 33% bonus when book airfare through the Thanks You Point's travel agents, what about hotels? Does the bonus only apply to flights, or to any reservations made through the program's travel agent?
You do receive the discounted point redemption but be aware of the alternatives and rack rates. Looking in Asia I found that Agoda.com had better rates than the ThankYou engine with discount. Domestically I would wager that Priceline is a better value than ThankYou plus discount as well.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:37 pm

FYI, I called the Premier Card line but was not able to get the $125 annual fee credited for being a CitiGold member. Then I called the CitiGold number and they were able to credit the fee.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 1:55 pm

I just applied for the citi cards in this thread: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2919195
for 150k bonus miles today. does anyone know if i am still eligible to get this thank you card offer?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
back in december 2010 i was approved for AA citi amex and declined for the AA citi visa (personals). my wife was approved for AA citi visa and declined for the AA citi amex. (personals).

this was despite following post #2 in the AA citi thread. maybe we had cookie trouble etc i don't know.

few months later applied for AA biz, but withdrew my app after they wanted all the documentation etc.

in any event, will applying for this Premier card affect anything with trying to get AA citicards in the future. (and should I cancel the current AA cards before waiting to the 18-24 month mark before reapplying for the AA cards again?)

to me 150K AA >>> Premier 50K
It all depends on how many cards Citi is willing to give to you (depends on your credit profile of course).

In general Citi allow you to have 4 to 5 cards at the same time.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gtu2004
I just applied for the citi cards in this thread: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2919195
for 150k bonus miles today. does anyone know if i am still eligible to get this thank you card offer?
As long as your credit profile supports it, and you do not violate the limit of 2 applications every 60/65 days.

In other words if you just got your AA cards, your next Citi card application must be at least 60/65 days from the previous application date.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by factory81
TYP are a different game. I am learning that dollar amounts of flights don't always correlate well with reward redemption', but with TYP it is all about bottom dollar airfare pricing and conversion of points with 33% bonus to dollar figures.
The beauty of TYPs are you can use it to redeem the Revenue tickets at a 25% discount (the same as 33% bonus - same value, just different math approach depends on the "base" being used).

This is particularly useful for some hardly discounted domestic flights that either you dont want to waste your miles or there are simply no award availability (the reason why the routes are hardly discounted - there are enough demand for the routes - hence hardly any award availability).
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Great find. I know that you get the 33% bonus when book airfare through the Thanks You Point's travel agents, what about hotels? Does the bonus only apply to flights, or to any reservations made through the program's travel agent?
Flights and hotels are readily bookable on the website.

However, hotels are NOT a good use for the points for several reasons:

1) The rates are not competitive. The hotel descriptions is often too generic. You would do a lot better by using Booking.com, Priceline, or myriad of other hotel discount-booking sites.

2) The booking is NOT in your name when you booked - your name is not communicated to the hotel UNTIL the week or the days before your arrival. It is all explained in the FINE PRINT when you book - unfortunately it can only be viewed when you log in.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:39 pm

confused

Sorry if this is a silly question but I am confused----can the reward of this card jus be redeemed for cash.

And would it be $500 or $665? I am confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Doug
Old Oct 8, 2011, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddfr
Sorry if this is a silly question but I am confused----can the reward of this card jus be redeemed for cash.

And would it be $500 or $665? I am confused.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Doug
No. The reward cannot be redeemed for cash, unless it is for paying back Student Loan (one of the reward options of TYP) - but at an inferior rate, i.e. 1 pt is worth less than 1 penny.

It is $500 if using to redeem for Gift Cards at $100 for 10,000 TYPs. It is $665 if using to redeem for airline tickets. When redeem for airline ticket, you get a 25% discount on the airfare, so a $400 ticket only cost you 30,000 TYPs. Or, a $665 ticket only cost you 50,000 TYPs. ($665 x 0.75 or 50,000 x 1.33 - they represent the SAME thing).
Old Oct 8, 2011, 7:08 pm

gift cards

@ Happy thank you very much.

Are the gift cards, in effect, cash are there a lot of restrictions how the cards can be used?

It is $500 if using to redeem for Gift Cards at $100 for 10,000 TYPs. It is $665 if using to redeem for airline tickets. When redeem for airline ticket, you get a 25% discount on the airfare, so a $400 ticket only cost you 30,000 TYPs. Or, a $665 ticket only cost you 50,000 TYPs. ($665 x 0.75 or 50,000 x 1.33 - they represent the SAME thing).
Old Oct 8, 2011, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ddfr
@ Happy thank you very much.

Are the gift cards, in effect, cash are there a lot of restrictions how the cards can be used?

They are just regular retailer's gift cards, retailers such as Macy, Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, and the like, at the denominations of $50 and $100.
You can also redeem for Marriott Travel Card too. Though Marriott Travel Card "officially" does have some restrictions such as cannot be used for AAA rate or Senior rate. Though in practice the hotels dont seem to care.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 8:32 pm

Applied and got the "Your application has been received. Further processing is required at this time. " message. I am going to be traveling abroad extensively in 2 weeks, should I call the reconsideration line now to try to speed up the process or wait?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:31 pm

How long will this promo go on for? I would like to wait until late November to apply if at all possible.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 12:24 am

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by jonny1
https://creditcards.citi.com/credit-...-premier-card/

Get started with 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you make $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months - redeemable for great rewards, including $500 in gift cards or $665 in airfare when you redeem through the ThankYou Travel Center

Enjoy no foreign transaction fee on purchases when you use your Citi ThankYou Premier Card

Annual Fee: $125.00 However, this fee is waived for the first 12 months.

Detail:
Earn 50,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you make $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months - redeemable for great rewards, including $500 in gift cards or $665 in airfare when you redeem through the ThankYou Travel Center.3

1 ThankYou Point for every $1 you spend on purchases. Plus, earn 1.2 ThankYou Points per $1 spent - that's 20% more points - when you use your card at supermarkets, gas stations, drugstores, commuter transportation and parking merchants.2

Earn points for the miles you fly when you purchase a ticket with your Citi ThankYou Premier Card.2

No foreign transaction fee on purchases, as long as you use your Citi ThankYou Premier Card.1

Receive an annual complimentary domestic companion ticket (within the continental USA) and a 15% discount when booking air travel through our travel benefits provider, Spirit Incentives.3

Get 33% more value for your ThankYou Points when you redeem for airfare through the ThankYou Travel Center. For example: 50,000 points can be redeemed for $665 in airfare, which would typically require 66,500 points. Enjoy this benefit on any airline with no blackout dates.

Earn an anniversary bonus on points earned from purchases every year.2 The longer you are a cardmember, the bigger the bonus will be - up to 5% after you are a cardmember for 4 years or more.

Earn bonus points when you sign up for Paperless Statements and Account Online.3

With no points cap and no expiration of points, there’s no limit to the points you can earn.

Redeem ThankYou Points for almost anything, from a large selection of gift cards including dining, entertainment and retail - to valuable rewards such as electronics, travel rewards, home goods, books, charitable donations or even cash.

Enjoy two simple ways to redeem your points for the rewards you want. You can either visit thankyou.com where your rewards are just a few clicks away, or you can redeem points by calling
1-800-THANKYOU (1-800-842-6596).
Really? You had to copy almost verbatim my thread title from SD?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by booyaa
Really? You had to copy almost verbatim my thread title from SD?
just cos you posted it somewhere else doesn't mean what we have here is or i have done is copied from you. in case you copied mine, don't be ashamed! this is not a targeted offer in your email inbox. get a life!

Last edited by jonny1; Oct 9, 2011 at 7:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.