Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

what's the difference between this and chase sapphire prefered ?

sapphire one has bit higher spending requirement but in terms of rewards it is same, 50k miles worth $500 in store giftcards or $625 airline ticket.
both are airline miles. which one is little better? thanks
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:18 pm

Would I get the signup bonus for this card if I already have the regular version of the thankYou card, not the Premier version.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jonny1

sapphire one has bit higher spending requirement but in terms of rewards it is same, 50k miles worth $500 in store giftcards or $625 airline ticket.
2 different banks. 2 different programs with completely different rules and structure on award redemption.

Details can be found on Chase web site for Sapphire Preferred - assumed you mean the Preferred version as Sapphire alone is yet again another program.

Details can be found on Citi web site for Premier Card.

Neither is airline miles.

Which is better all depends on how you want to use it. Sapphire Preferred's Ultimate Reward program has more flexibility outside gift card or airline tickets.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Happy
2 different banks. 2 different programs with completely different rules and structure on award redemption.

Details can be found on Chase web site for Sapphire Preferred - assumed you mean the Preferred version as Sapphire alone is yet again another program.

Details can be found on Citi web site for Premier Card.

Neither is airline miles.

Which is better all depends on how you want to use it. Sapphire Preferred's Ultimate Reward program has more flexibility outside gift card or airline tickets.
all the talk about 50k or 20k bonus miles are not reward mainly for airline ticket purchase?
what else is MILES than?

thank you!
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

all the talk about 50k or 20k bonus miles are not reward mainly for airline ticket purchase?
what else is MILES than?

thank you!
Sapphire Preferred card earns Ultimate Reward Points.

Premier Card earns ThankYou Points.

They are NOT airline's programs, therefore the "currency" is not Miles. Only the "currency" of airline's loyalty program is MILES, such as AA miles, UA/CO miles, US miles, BA miles, etc etc

Both programs allow you to "purchase" airline tickets with each program's earned points as if the points are "cash". The tickets purchased using these points are Revenue tickets that earn miles just like tickets you pay cash for.

Award tickets purchased (redeemed) by Airline Miles do NOT earn you anything.

To further complicate things, points have FIXED value while miles DONT.

Both the UR points and TYPs are at $0.01 per point when redeeming Gift Card, and at $0.0133 per point when redeeming airline ticket.

Miles can worth as little as $0.01 or as much as $0.15 - all depends on how you use them. As a matter of fact, this morning I am shown an example that the mile could worth almost $0.18 a mile.

To give you a very basic example, very often a Transcon coach ticket on sale could be around $200 to $250 - that would cost you 25K AA miles - so the mile could worth as little as $0.01.

Or, a First Class ticket JFK to HKG easily cost $12,000, and it costs 135K AA miles - so the mile could worth as much as $0.08.

I hope the above is not too math-challenging to understand.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 7, 2011 at 10:58 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: many
OMG!!!!! I NEVER THOUGHT....

I thought the metallica song "one"'was based off a movie/book, but it's actually a real life character.

"One"'could graduate from spoon feeding and start a new trend for oneself called reading, and research.

I for "one" am going back to stabbing myself in the "eye"' ( right after these brief messages....)
Old Oct 7, 2011, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pcharles
OMG!!!!! I NEVER THOUGHT....

I thought the metallica song "one"'was based off a movie/book, but it's actually a real life character.

"One"'could graduate from spoon feeding and start a new trend for oneself called reading, and research.

I for "one" am going back to stabbing myself in the "eye"' ( right after these brief messages....)
"Facepalm"

But think about it this way, the way it goes, he would not pass the stage of redeeming for gift card... There is NO WAY he would figure out how to redeem for a ticket to India/Nepal. So you would have one less competitor for your award seats.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 10:11 pm

Programs: many
"Facepalm"

But think about it this way, the way it goes, he would not pass the stage of redeeming for gift card... There is NO WAY he would figure out how to redeem for a ticket to India/Nepal. So you would have one less competitor for your award seats.
"One" can have the award ticket, I'm buying.... "one way" only!

Only if "One" can get oneself to the airport by oneself. Tough to do though, knowing the story of "one".

Gets or Got his gun, it doesn't matter, there's only "one".

Sorry folks... Ill go look for an eye patch...
(backing to letting the thread get back on track)
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Identity Platnium (Cosmopolitan), Palladium Card, Hilton Diamond
It's amazing how much some of you know about all the various programs. Thanks Happy for explaining a lot of the questions!
Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:03 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
back in december 2010 i was approved for AA citi amex and declined for the AA citi visa (personals). my wife was approved for AA citi visa and declined for the AA citi amex. (personals).

this was despite following post #2 in the AA citi thread. maybe we had cookie trouble etc i don't know.

few months later applied for AA biz, but withdrew my app after they wanted all the documentation etc.

in any event, will applying for this Premier card affect anything with trying to get AA citicards in the future. (and should I cancel the current AA cards before waiting to the 18-24 month mark before reapplying for the AA cards again?)

to me 150K AA >>> Premier 50K
Old Oct 8, 2011, 5:37 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Great find. I know that you get the 33% bonus when book airfare through the Thanks You Point's travel agents, what about hotels? Does the bonus only apply to flights, or to any reservations made through the program's travel agent?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 7:07 am

Not to bring this entirely off topic, but this post here makes me feel like I have found a pretty good deal on my AZO - ORD - DFW - JAC trip. First class is 50k R/T. YUP fares are coming in no less than $1657. I find my miles to be worth over 3 cents a mile in this instance here. Now if only I wasn't flying first class on MD80's and 757's

Sapphire Preferred card earns Ultimate Reward Points.

Premier Card earns ThankYou Points.

They are NOT airline's programs, therefore the "currency" is not Miles. Only the "currency" of airline's loyalty program is MILES, such as AA miles, UA/CO miles, US miles, BA miles, etc etc

Both programs allow you to "purchase" airline tickets with each program's earned points as if the points are "cash". The tickets purchased using these points are Revenue tickets that earn miles just like tickets you pay cash for.

Award tickets purchased (redeemed) by Airline Miles do NOT earn you anything.

To further complicate things, points have FIXED value while miles DONT.

Both the UR points and TYPs are at $0.01 per point when redeeming Gift Card, and at $0.0133 per point when redeeming airline ticket.

Miles can worth as little as $0.01 or as much as $0.15 - all depends on how you use them. As a matter of fact, this morning I am shown an example that the mile could worth almost $0.18 a mile.

To give you a very basic example, very often a Transcon coach ticket on sale could be around $200 to $250 - that would cost you 25K AA miles - so the mile could worth as little as $0.01.

Or, a First Class ticket JFK to HKG easily cost $12,000, and it costs 135K AA miles - so the mile could worth as much as $0.08.

I hope the above is not too math-challenging to understand.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 7:28 am

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
I got this even with the $125 ann fee and still consider it a good investment, to help pay for domestic econ tickets for a family of four. Those type of tix are hard to get with FF miles. Booking through the TY points portal offers many more choices, especially time-wise for a family on a tight time-line, than airline's FF low mileage flights.

Different purposes, different uses, different value for different situations.
Old Oct 8, 2011, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold

Just get both!
Old Oct 8, 2011, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by MJLouise
I got this even with the $125 ann fee and still consider it a good investment, to help pay for domestic econ tickets for a family of four. Those type of tix are hard to get with FF miles. Booking through the TY points portal offers many more choices, especially time-wise for a family on a tight time-line, than airline's FF low mileage flights.

Different purposes, different uses, different value for different situations.
Actually now that I realize your approach I see the unique value of Chase Sapphire and Citi TYP. I see the free annual companion fare. This must be worth quite a bit. Say I fly YUP fare, does my partner fly YUP with me as well? The yearly bonus is quite nice and encourages loyalty. But 60k points for $665 of airfare is mehhhh. AZO - MXP is like $1500 or 40k AA miles. The 33% reward bonus I guess is there to try and compensate at the time of redemption though, plus the anytime any airline thing. You can always pull out a great reward redemption that works if time is on your side.

I really agree with your statement regarding the lack of flights. Quite pathetic and very inconvenient in nearly all travel situations. Being able to book on "any airline, anytime" with this card is quite awesome.

TYP are a different game. I am learning that dollar amounts of flights don't always correlate well with reward redemption', but with TYP it is all about bottom dollar airfare pricing and conversion of points with 33% bonus to dollar figures.

Last edited by factory81; Oct 8, 2011 at 9:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.