Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR

[Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR

Old Oct 9, 2011, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by jonny1
what's the difference between this and chase sapphire prefered ?
Main difference between the 2 programs is Citi have their own system and pts can redeem within Citi. rewards.

Chase Sapphire is alot more flexible, can use their own system to redeem rewards and also the option of transferring 1:1 to their airline partners (ex: Continental ) so if you need to build up more CO miles could do using Sapphire card.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Happy
No. The reward cannot be redeemed for cash, unless it is for paying back Student Loan (one of the reward options of TYP) - but at an inferior rate, i.e. 1 pt is worth less than 1 penny.

It is $500 if using to redeem for Gift Cards at $100 for 10,000 TYPs. It is $665 if using to redeem for airline tickets. When redeem for airline ticket, you get a 25% discount on the airfare, so a $400 ticket only cost you 30,000 TYPs. Or, a $665 ticket only cost you 50,000 TYPs. ($665 x 0.75 or 50,000 x 1.33 - they represent the SAME thing).
Sounds like I'll apply for this one. So you just pay for your airfare and then redeeem it on the Citi TYP's site or you can use their website to book it.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I got 30 day response on mine. That seems like an awfully long time to wait for a response. Haven't gotten any Citi cards in a while, so hopefully no issues.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Sounds like I'll apply for this one. So you just pay for your airfare and then redeeem it on the Citi TYP's site or you can use their website to book it.
You have to go through Citi's TY portal / booking agency.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Citi is known for slapping their customers with 1099 at the end of the year, at least for bonus miles from banking. Would this be the case as well?
Old Oct 9, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, CapOne Venture, Citi ThankYou
Originally Posted by foxberg
Citi is known for slapping their customers with 1099 at the end of the year, at least for bonus miles from banking. Would this be the case as well?
No. Not the case.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by CVG_Kid
No. Not the case.
I already have a citi premier card (automatically converted by Citi from Citi Premier Pass Elite) and I have miles earned from it. Does anyone know if I will lose the thank you points I already earned from the existing Citi premier card and apply a new one? Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by booyaa
Really? You had to copy almost verbatim my thread title from SD?
just cos you posted it somewhere else doesn't mean what we have here is or i have done is copied from you. in case you copied mine, don't be ashamed! this is not a targeted offer in your email inbox. get a life!
Hahahahaha. Oh dear, angry much? It was a joke, hence the smiley at the end?

Plus, if you learned how to read, all I mentioned was the thread TITLE you literally copied almost verbatim. I never said anything about posting the deal itself. But since you're taking this so seriously, check the timestamp of the first post. What did you do? Change the last couple of words because FT thread titles have a smaller character limit? Can't denyyyy it! BOOYAA! Oh, and follow your own advice, DON'T BE ASHAMED.

And from the looks of it, not like you know what you're doing with these points anyway...

I guess i can't get this awesome offer becos i recently got approved and have the citi aadvantange amex and citi aadvantage visa?
points from this card is totally different from the miles earned from citi aadvantage cards right? i can't combined the citi points and miles to use once for international trip?
thanks, can i book international trip to asia, INDIA from the 50k thank you points and than pay the balance with card?

thank you points and chase sapphire prefered card points are about the same?
what's the difference between this and chase sapphire prefered ?

sapphire one has bit higher spending requirement but in terms of rewards it is same, 50k miles worth $500 in store giftcards or $625 airline ticket.
both are airline miles. which one is little better? thanks
all the talk about 50k or 20k bonus miles are not reward mainly for airline ticket purchase?
what else is MILES than?

thank you!
Any research in the right places would have answered those questions.

+1 for Happy:

"Facepalm"

But think about it this way, the way it goes, he would not pass the stage of redeeming for gift card... There is NO WAY he would figure out how to redeem for a ticket to India/Nepal. So you would have one less competitor for your award seats.

Last edited by booyaa; Oct 9, 2011 at 7:33 pm
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
You cannot redeem your airfare charged on the card. This is NOT an option.

You can book your ticket on TYN using your TYPs for payment if you have enough TYPs to pay 100% in full by points, then you get a 25% discount. Point + Cash option does not get discount.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by foxberg
Credit cards are not banking products.

Points / Miles / Cash rebate earned from Credit Card is considered Rebates, not interest earning. There is no tax liability on rebates, there is tax liability on interest earning.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 9, 2011 at 10:12 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PL, SPG G, MR G, HH G, CC G, AMEX PL
Credit cards are not banking products.

Points / Miles / Cash rebate earned from Credit Card is consider Rebates, not interest earning. There is no tax liability on rebates, there is tax liability on interest earning.
OK, thanks. Then this is something to consider.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yoyo
I already have a citi premier card (automatically converted by Citi from Citi Premier Pass Elite) and I have miles earned from it. Does anyone know if I will lose the thank you points I already earned from the existing Citi premier card and apply a new one? Thanks.
You will lose your TYPs IF the sponsor card is closed.

Have you looked at your TYN account? From the details you will see the TYPs are associated to the cards they are earned, and carry expiration dates for those earned before the conversion.

Citi's system is a FIFO system - so redemption order is based on the EARNED time, not the expiration dates. If you want to cancel your old card, make sure you use up ALL the points that associated with THAT card based on the FIFO before you cancel that card. Else you will lose all unredeemed points.

Citi has said the points on PPE earned pre-conversion will expire 18 months from the conversion date (for most folks that was March 2011). However I just notice that if you have tickets bought before pre-conversion date and the flight points that are just now getting matched, the newly deposited points extend that expiration date... I am very glad to see this IT glitch as that means I dont have to rush to spend some $2K worth of the points from pre-conversion that originally would expire in Sept 2012 - they are now moved to early 2013. As I still have 8K flight points not matched yet - so these will continue to extend the expiration date further. As you know, points earned after conversion date dont have expiration.

OTOH, unlike the AA cards Citi would not deny you bonus if you apply for another one.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 9, 2011 at 10:17 pm
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:49 am

You will lose your TYPs IF the sponsor card is closed.

Have you looked at your TYN account? From the details you will see the TYPs are associated to the cards they are earned, and carry expiration dates for those earned before the conversion.

Citi's system is a FIFO system - so redemption order is based on the EARNED time, not the expiration dates. If you want to cancel your old card, make sure you use up ALL the points that associated with THAT card based on the FIFO before you cancel that card. Else you will lose all unredeemed points.

Citi has said the points on PPE earned pre-conversion will expire 18 months from the conversion date (for most folks that was March 2011). However I just notice that if you have tickets bought before pre-conversion date and the flight points that are just now getting matched, the newly deposited points extend that expiration date... I am very glad to see this IT glitch as that means I dont have to rush to spend some $2K worth of the points from pre-conversion that originally would expire in Sept 2012 - they are now moved to early 2013. As I still have 8K flight points not matched yet - so these will continue to extend the expiration date further. As you know, points earned after conversion date dont have expiration.

OTOH, unlike the AA cards Citi would not deny you bonus if you apply for another one.
Happy,

That's interesting. I have redeemed two tickets in 2007 and 2009 and have never noticed any points expired/expiring. I had no activities on the PP elite cards since 2009. Thankyou points website only let me see activities for the last 12 months and I only have monthly Citigold points. How do I see the flight points as well as expiration date? I only see points expiring in 90 days as zero in the summary.

Thank you.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
You cannot redeem your airfare charged on the card. This is NOT an option.

You can book your ticket on TYN using your TYPs for payment if you have enough TYPs to pay 100% in full by points, then you get a 25% discount. Point + Cash option does not get discount.
Thanks Happy, it still sounds pretty good.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 2:29 pm

did I make a bad mistake/any insights appreciated

Had my wife apply for card on Saturday---called today (got pending message because of fraud alert) and was told application was not submitted, encouraged to do another one online. Just did a 2nd app on line for her?

Have others had this problem? Will this be two credit inquiries? Might she be approved twice (which wouldn't be so bad) for the card?

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.