Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 19, 2013, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SeeBuyFly
MOST CURRENT WORKING LINKS.

Citi AA platinum Personal Visa 50,000 miles after $2500 spend in 4 months (Note: no AC passes or statement credit). $85 Annual Fee. Waived first year.

End of an era Ladies and gents. The 50k offer is now dead.

Citi Business MasterCard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here
Citi Platinum Select Visa. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months.$95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 40,000 miles after $3k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Business Mastercard. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months.
Citi Personal Platinum Select. 35,000 miles after $1.5k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived first year. Landing page available here.

Citi Gold AA World Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months.
$50 annual fee,waived 1st year.

Citi Business Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year. Landing page available here.
Citi Platinum Select Mastercard. 30,000 miles after $1k spend in 3 months. $95 annual fee, waived 1st year.

Citi Gold AA Visa Signature Card. 25,000 miles after $750 spend in 4 months. $50 annual fee,waived 1st year. Landing page available here

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

CitiBank Phone Numbers. (Please add the others that you know)
  • (800) 695-5171 – Personal Application Status and Reconsideration Line with live rep
  • (800) 763-9795 – General Personal Application Inquiries with live rep
  • (800) 645-7240 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (800) 288-4653 – Business Application Status and Reconsideration Line, dial option 3 then option 1 for application status
  • (866) 606-2787 – General Application and Account Questions with live rep
  • (888) 201-4523 – Application status
  • (866) 606-2961 – Reconsideration Line.
  • Twitter : @AskCiti. Very powerful tool.

FAQ

1. Are these cards churnable?
Yes, they are. BUT you’ll have to wait anywhere from 12 to 26 months before applying again. Approvals have happened at the 13 month mark and denials at 24.
There is no set 18 month rule, but always err on the side of caution when churning.
Also- it’s from DATE OF APPROVAL and not from date of cancellation.

2.What are the most current rules in applying for these cards?
#ONLY ONE APPLICATION in a day (make that 30 hours to be safe)
#No more than 2 apps in 65 (approximately) days.
Example:
Day 1 40K personal platinum
Day 2 or later 25-30K personal gold
65+ days later 40K business

While the day limits are a little flexible by a few days either way and YMMV, the rules themselves are not flexible.

3. How long does it take for the Admiral passes to arrive?
For the better part, it takes about 3 months. This is not a set number, and some have received theirs sooner.It's been deduced that the passes are handled by a 3rd party that mails them in batches. Please don’t call Citi for the passes, because you’ll mostly find a CSR who doesn't know better and will give you wrong information.

4. Can I apply for a business card if I don’t have a business?
Technically, you can. But you may be asked for a 4506-T form, or to provide proof of business or/and a copy of a bill with your business name on it. If you don't already have a credit history for the business name you plan to use (meaning this is your first rodeo) then it is recommended you use your name as the business name with no income and 0 as years in business.

5. How do I get the statement credit?
First, you have to make sure if the offer you signed up for gave you A $150 credit or UP TO A $150 statement credit. For the 1st, any AA coded purchase ($50 AA GC seems to be the simplest option here) will/should trigger it. For the 2nd, you’ll have to spend $150 to get the $150 credit.
For more information on what will work and what won’t, please see here (thanks sdsearch) and here (thanks dogbyte)

6. Does the $150 account credit (for AA purchases using the VISA or AMEX) count against the spending required to receive the initial mileage bonus?
No. It does not. (Put differently: any account credit you receive has no impact on your spending total for purposes of earning the "X thousand miles for $Y spent in the first Z months" bonus.)

7. Can I buy Visa gift cards to meet my minimum spend?
There’s a very good chance that it’ll be coded as a cash advance.
It’s recommended to call citi and have them set your Cash Advance limit to zero. (thanks KennyBSAT)

8. Do I get 10% back when redeeming miles for awards?
It depends. First, the rebate program (which began in April 2012) applies only to holders of these cards:
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage Visa Signature
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World MasterCard
  • Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage World Elite MasterCard
  • Citi Select AAdvantage American Express
It does not apply if you hold only the Citi Gold World MasterCard.

Also, the maximum rebate for any cardholder in a single calendar year is 10,000 miles. Having more than one qualifying Citi AA card will not allow you to receive a larger rebate; the restriction applies per AAdvantage account.

9. At what locations are my one day Club passes valid?
All valid locations are listed here.
Print Wikipost

Citi AA: now 40k, plus other offers as they appeared.[9.2011 - 5.2013]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2012, 9:05 pm

How long does it usually take the $100 credit to post? I bought an AA gift card for $50, but still no credit posted.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
How long does it usually take the $100 credit to post? I bought an AA gift card for $50, but still no credit posted.
Mine posted with the close of the statement during which I made my AA gift card purchase.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Mine posted with the close of the statement during which I made my AA gift card purchase.
+1
Old Sep 19, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: AA, UA.
AA gift question

About purchase the AA gift card, did you just go to AA website and purchase the AA gift card?
Is the AA gift card has any expire date?
Can this AA gift card use in duty free purchase during the AA international flight?

Thanks!
Lee
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:18 am

reporting back with a datapoint: i applied for the citi AA business using the link provided on 9/4/12. I got an approval phone call and the card arrived yesterday. Upon activation, I asked about the T&Cs and benefits - turns out I didnt get the 50k bonus after 3k spend but instead I got a different offer for 40k after 2k spend and then additional 10k after an additional 5k spend. so overall 7k spend for the full 50k. did this happen to anyone else? not that big of a deal for me, but still a bit irritating to get it switched up. will just take longer to get the 50k.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:21 am

Programs: Too many to list
Can we just get a card for $150 and get a full credit or need to do by $50 each time? Any experience?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Bored_Russian
Can we just get a card for $150 and get a full credit or need to do by $50 each time? Any experience?
I simply purchased an AA gift card from AA.com this year for each of the following amounts and the statement credits on the following cards worked for me:

$150 for Citi AA Bus. Visa (2/2012)
$100 for Citi AA Pers. Visa (8/2012)
$100 for Citi AA Pers. Amex (8/2012)

I did not purchase in $50 increments - I purchased in the whole amounts stated above each time. This may be a YMMV situation; but, the above worked for me.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: Too many to list
I simply purchased an AA gift card from AA.com this year for each of the following amounts and the statement credits on the following cards worked for me:

$150 for Citi AA Bus. Visa (2/2012)
$100 for Citi AA Pers. Visa (8/2012)
$100 for Citi AA Pers. Amex (8/2012)

I did not purchase in $50 increments - I purchased in the whole amounts stated above each time. This may be a YMMV situation; but, the above worked for me.
Excelent !
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Zolomark
reporting back with a datapoint: i applied for the citi AA business using the link provided on 9/4/12. I got an approval phone call and the card arrived yesterday. Upon activation, I asked about the T&Cs and benefits - turns out I didnt get the 50k bonus after 3k spend but instead I got a different offer for 40k after 2k spend and then additional 10k after an additional 5k spend. so overall 7k spend for the full 50k. did this happen to anyone else? not that big of a deal for me, but still a bit irritating to get it switched up. will just take longer to get the 50k.
Hmm are you sure it's not 10K after an additional 2K spend? Thats the offer we had and the reps we spoke with to confirm the bonuses weren't very sure of the specifics but we did get 50K after spending a total of 5K
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:24 am

Just applied for the personal cards using two browsers. 1st card was approved after ' online chat with representative'. 2nd application went to step 5, but I was not offered to chat with a representative on that card.

I did searches in this thread for "step 5" "pending" etc., but couldn't find a definitive answer. Should I call in immediately to try and push the approval through, or wait it out and see if they approve it?

Thanks for your advice.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Cohall
Just applied for the personal cards using two browsers. 1st card was approved after ' online chat with representative'. 2nd application went to step 5, but I was not offered to chat with a representative on that card.

I did searches in this thread for "step 5" "pending" etc., but couldn't find a definitive answer. Should I call in immediately to try and push the approval through, or wait it out and see if they approve it?

Thanks for your advice.
If you got to step 5, you're in good shape. Usually Step 3 means denial. I would just wait it out. They usually sort it out pretty quickly.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
I paid my first bill yesterday when it first became available. My miles were posted last night. I also purchased a $50 AA gift card - and I got a $50 credit. Thought I was supposed to get $100.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Zolomark
Might have had the other offer cached on your PC from looking at it before?
Old Sep 19, 2012, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bj2757
I paid my first bill yesterday when it first became available. My miles were posted last night. I also purchased a $50 AA gift card - and I got a $50 credit. Thought I was supposed to get $100.
You may have the offer that the credit is $ for $ instead of after 1st eligible AA purchase.

There are 2 different offers out there. For whatever reasons there are folks who signed up the "wrong" ones that is $ for $ instead of the better one that is after 1st purchase.

This often happens when folks clicked around before they made an application without completely cleaned out the old cookies and caches left on their computers when they clicked around - not just for Citi cards, but the same problems can happen on Chase cards, probably any issuer's cards as offers are hard coded in the URLs which when clicked, left a "foot print" in your computer.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by Happy
You may have the offer that the credit is $ for $ instead of after 1st eligible AA purchase.

There are 2 different offers out there. For whatever reasons there are folks who signed up the "wrong" ones that is $ for $ instead of the better one that is after 1st purchase.

This often happens when folks clicked around before they made an application without completely cleaned out the old cookies and caches left on their computers when they clicked around - not just for Citi cards, but the same problems can happen on Chase cards, probably any issuer's cards as offers are hard coded in the URLs which when clicked, left a "foot print" in your computer.
Hard to say - there is so much stuff out there and no real way of knowing what you're signing up for. But I had cleared all my browsers, hadn't looked at any other offers, and clicked on the offer on the first page that said 40,000 miles, and the $100 credit.

Since it's "free" money I wonder if I should buy another $50 gift card with each card...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.