Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sdsearch
This thread has been running for multiple years and is used for every promotion. Do not assume early posts are current; please check the date of the post, or start from end of the thread and work backwards.

Early posts are about former promotions, and the links in former posts may not work for current promotions.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming Promotion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SimpleManToo
So does Choice Status match?
Yes, but whether it's worth the bother is another question. Now that everyone has the same booking window, it's hard to see much of a benefit to Choice elite status other than a little bit of extra points around the edges (amounts that are "in the noise" if you mostly max out Choice's frequent "stay 2 times, earn 8000 points" promos). You don't get upgrades, you don't get free breakfast (at any property that doesn't give free breakfast to anyone), you don't get late checkout, I'm not sure what you get.

The major benefit to the Choice program is easy ways to earn lots of points (if you can make your stays one-night stays each during "stay 2 times, earn 8000 points promos", and great redemption values in some places overseas. It's not a program for chasing status.
ftv likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:28 am

There's also the US Travel Association Daily Getaways but the points you can purchase at a reduced rate. I didn't participate or do the math last year so don't know what the value was.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Back to the "super-secret" portal's 1,000...

Still no 1,000 point credits, going back to early November. I know I need to be patient, but wonder if I've turned over a rock that matters.

I go in via the "super-secret" portal, and act to find a Net VIP rate. When the box that invites the code pops up, there's already, "Choicehotels.com Special Projects" in the "Currently logged in as:" field. I change it to the Net VIP rate. Do you suppose this effectively invalidates eligibility for the 1,000 (meaning that a minimum rate is required)? Thank you.
boxo likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
30% discount on points purchase is back

Appears to be targeted, so far. Usual T&C:

"...30% discount offer applies to purchases of 5,000 points or more. Transactions must be completed between 9 AM ET January 25th, 2019 and 11:59 PM Feb 18, 2019 to be eligible for a discount on points. Must be a member of the Choice Privileges Rewards Program member; points will be posted to your Choice Privileges account within 24 hours after your transaction is complete. Purchased points do not count toward Elite Status or Lifetime Elite Gold Status. Transactions are final and non-refundable. Offer may not be valid for all members. All other terms and conditions of the Choice Privileges Rewards Program apply. Choice Hotels reserves the right to amend these terms or terminate this promotion at any time."

Reminds elsewhere that the 50,000/calendar year purchase limit holds.

My Gold account received the email yesterday. A non-elite family member's has not.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:40 am

I got it too - picked up 30k this weekend for just over $200. Works out to about $ .0077 per point. Buying points for most travel programs is usually a ripoff regardless of the discount, but I'm typically able to redeem CP points for over $ .01 of value (usually about $ .012 or $ .014). I would have maxed the offer out and bought 50k, but there's always the risk of future devaluations, so I kept it conservative.

Deal could be even sweeter if you have the Choice Privileges Visa - you're supposed to get 5 points per dollar spent on point purchases, but don't count on it - Barclays is notorious for shorting bonus points earned on the CP Visa. If the bonus points actually get credited, I'll consider it... Well, a bonus.

Also hoping the "stay 2 nights get 8000 points" deals start popping up soon!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:21 pm

https://www.choicehotels.com/deals/free-night

OH WE BACK

2-26 to 4-26

side question: has anyone gotten their "secret site" points?

Last edited by MiaSkye89; Feb 19, 2019 at 5:24 pm Reason: more info
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:33 am

Hi, Mia. Thank you. Yup, it's back. And as before. Instant registration. Click the button in the email and we're in. My Gold account received the offer this morning, but a family member's basic one has not.* You must be even more special to have received it last evening.

And in coming here, I was planning to thank the sages for being kind and letting me find the answer to my frustration myself. The answer was always here, at least in our concierge's post. Not only did we have to enter through the secret portal, we had to stay in it and not substitute another Net VIP, SOS etc.
​​​​
But in running several rate comparisons, the difference of $20 and more per NetVIP stay has been a net advantage.

Whoops, the buried lead: 0 x 1,000, across many stays.

* There it is. No privilege for elites - probably just batched.

Last edited by Firewind; Feb 20, 2019 at 11:37 am
Old Feb 20, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Firewind,

Your posts are usually very informative and I suppose this post was informative to the people it was targeted to. Unfortunately, it went right over my head.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:52 am
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
I registered.

HOWEVER, I noticed a new line in the T & C's I have never seen before: room rates under $40 are ineligible. This wipes out several whole Florida hotels, and some other stays when promotional rates are applied, Egregiously, several Econolodges have room rates under $40 but add "resort"/ "service" fees (to hotels that are least like hotels, and with zero services.) that actually bring the pre-tax spend to $40, but will fail to qualify.

If a Choice Representative is on this board, I would love for this to be addressed. All paid, bookable rates should be eligible without the monkeying around in tiny print.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:22 am

I don't think that's a new rule - I remember reading that sub $40 rates were ineligible last year for sure, maybe even before that. But regardless, you don't want to stay in any hotel that costs less than $40 a night, Choice or otherwise.

I can't speak to the resort fee thing though; I know some of the Ascend Collection properties charge resort fees, but Econo Lodge? That's crazy!
lougord99 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:19 pm
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
Well thanks for telling me what I want.

That aside, several Econolodges in Kissimmee, FL can charge less than $40 (less than $30 if you invoke corporate discounts...as low as $23.00 in low-low season). One of them really sucks, two are serviceable. The last I don't remember.

I agree an Econolodge has no place charging a resort fee/service fee. But they do...to the tune of $12-15/night, depending IIRC.
Brendan likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by ftv
I registered.

HOWEVER, I noticed a new line in the T & C's I have never seen before: room rates under $40 are ineligible. This wipes out several whole Florida hotels, and some other stays when promotional rates are applied, Egregiously, several Econolodges have room rates under $40 but add "resort"/ "service" fees (to hotels that are least like hotels, and with zero services.) that actually bring the pre-tax spend to $40, but will fail to qualify.

If a Choice Representative is on this board, I would love for this to be addressed. All paid, bookable rates should be eligible without the monkeying around in tiny print.
This is not new. There is nothing for a rep to address.

Those are the rules, and thank you for alerting everyone about them. If you want your 8,000 points, don't stay at <$40 rooms.

Not that long ago, no single night at an Econolodge counted for the bonus points.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by MiaSkye89
https://www.choicehotels.com/deals/free-night

OH WE BACK

2-26 to 4-26

side question: has anyone gotten their "secret site" points?
I am a newbie to Choice - how does this work - how many points you get?
What is if I booked through a 3rd party travel site - am I eligible?
What is if two separate booking for two consecutive nights at the same place?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by sciconf
At least 8000 points for 2 stays (more if stays are really expensive).
No, 3rd party is not eligible, and neither are back to back bookings at the same place. Most of this stuff is covered in the FAQ on the posted link.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sciconf
It sounds like you're a newbie to hotel programs period. Booking through 3rd party sites doesn't work for bonuses in most hotel programs. And two separate bookings for two consecutive nights at the same place doesn't work in any hotel program that I can think of (which has a promo based on stays rather than nights).
Brendan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.