Community
Wiki Posts
Search

points purchased from daily getaway

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Yikes, I just booked Bergen and Alesund a couple weeks ago for the summer.
Was going to buy more points today for Kristiansund as well. Guess thats not happening.

Sad to see Japan go too!
Old May 15, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
Are Choice points still redeemable for Preferred Hotels and Resorts properties?
Old May 15, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by milemission
Can these points be used in the international location? Thanks!
Originally Posted by ChoiceHotels
Hi there! We see that another commenter answered this question. They were correct. You may redeem a free night for as little as 6,000 points. Reward nights worldwide are available from 6,000 to 35,000 points. For more details, visit our website: https://www.choicehotels.com/choice-...ations#rewards. If there's anything else we can help you with, please let us know. Thanks for being a Choice Privileges member. Safe travels! *Julio
Is it still possible to redeem Choice points at hotels outside of the US? This functionality seems to have been disabled.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Pretty frustrating. Got in right at the beginning. Filled in everything to a point. Could not reach the bottom of the form on a 6" x 10" netbook. The page will not scroll. Tried to zoom/reduce it as far as 33% to see more. Could no longer read the print or reach the bottom, still. Alas, and congratulations to whoever got the points.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Firewind
Pretty frustrating. Got in right at the beginning. Filled in everything to a point. Could not reach the bottom of the form on a 6" x 10" netbook. The page will not scroll. Tried to zoom/reduce it as far as 33% to see more. Could no longer read the print or reach the bottom, still. Alas, and congratulations to whoever got the points.
There are still the lower levels available!
Firewind likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
There are still the lower levels available!
The price per point is higher at the lower levels . . . .
Brendan likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It wasn't that hard to buy today. My wife and I each bought them all. We didn't do anything fancy. We hit refresh for the deals we didn't get immediately.

The question of course is what are the points worth. It depends, since Choice redemption levels seem almost random. The points are only worth it to us because we travel a lot to "weird" places. When the points are a good deal in these weird places -- much less than half the time -- we use them. Most folks should probably not buy these points. For a typical stay, you probably won't save much money.
miadukes likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
1 hour 45 minutes after go live and there are still 14K point packages available. I still had plenty of Choice points so I didn't buy any this year.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It wouldn't be a good argument.

I've seen what Nordic Choice hotels get paid by Choice (US) for redemption bookings. And given how strong the USD is against the relevant Nordic currencies as of late, any point price hike for these properties would just be Choice (US) milking its loyalty program and customers even further.
At least, three possible explanations: it's evidence of a devaluation, it's not evidence of a devaluation, it's coincidental and representative of a Choice IT glitch. Let's ignore for the moment that the last explanation is the most likely given what we know of Choice IT. Why block before a DG sale? That would seem to be a disincentive for point sales, which even as screwy as Choice can be still seems an unlikely step for them. After the sales, yes, that could still be evidence that it was coincidental, but it would be stronger evidence of an intent to devalue because then a concern about tying in a devaluation with DG sales would be absent.

If the Nordic properties are concerned about reimbursement regarding redemptions, then they might even consider withdrawing from the Choice program--just as many of the Irish properties that I very much enjoyed at 8000 points just a few years ago did. Although that wasn't a great result for me, I didn't consider that as Choice devaluing their program.
milemission likes this.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Get confirmation email yet?

I hope I don't regret it. Got 6 packages while I still have over 400k points.

(Been buying as much as I can every year since 2012)

I used it last year for a road trip to a national park in summer and booked a suite for 6.
Old May 15, 2019, 2:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
At least, three possible explanations: it's evidence of a devaluation, it's not evidence of a devaluation, it's coincidental and representative of a Choice IT glitch. Let's ignore for the moment that the last explanation is the most likely given what we know of Choice IT. Why block before a DG sale? That would seem to be a disincentive for point sales, which even as screwy as Choice can be still seems an unlikely step for them. After the sales, yes, that could still be evidence that it was coincidental, but it would be stronger evidence of an intent to devalue because then a concern about tying in a devaluation with DG sales would be absent.

If the Nordic properties are concerned about reimbursement regarding redemptions, then they might even consider withdrawing from the Choice program--just as many of the Irish properties that I very much enjoyed at 8000 points just a few years ago did. Although that wasn't a great result for me, I didn't consider that as Choice devaluing their program.
Choice’s cost for redemption nights at Nordic Choice hotels is costing Choice less money than it used to cost. Because of the currency situation. But this too doesn’t make for a good argument that Choice is or is not devaluing the points.

Old May 15, 2019, 4:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pbd456
Get confirmation email yet?
They went out immediately but gmail put them into my Spam folder.

Last edited by nsx; May 15, 2019 at 4:54 pm
Old May 15, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by nsx
They went out immediately but gmail put them into my Spam folder.
Thanks. found them in the SPAM folder. right, same thing happened last year...

i only passed on the 2 x 14k package. i got the rest.... last year, i got all 8.. but given the amount of points i have and the possible blocking (which I think it is temporary). i just got the 6 cheaper packages.
Old May 15, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
got 2 of each package today, think it comes out to 278k points but well worth it, we trypically only redeem at the low points properties and cost points on that is like $39 bucks a night average, so not bad. very happy that it was much easier than past years!
Old May 15, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Woke up at 1:50am to get in on the Getaways. I scored a few packages at various levels. I am hoping the trouble with availability in Japan is just a glitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.