Search

points purchased from daily getaway

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ecgz88
but Choice haven't increase award for many years right? I think they don't have a award chart so they may just change category quietly nobody will notice
Choice Privileges has increased redemption stay prices in recent years in two ways: assigning properties into already existing higher point price categories for a region; creating additional point price categories for a region and assigning properties to the new point price categories for a region. No advance public notice provided of such moves, at least sometimes.

Given the trend more recently has been for this program to “innovate” after a relatively long period of being pretty stable, I’ve taken this as an indication to not binge collect too many of these points for purely speculative booking purposes. But I’ll still be buying a lot more of these points for accounts.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere
Originally Posted by winkny
The price last year was 4$ per 1000 pts
Now is close to 5$ per 1000 pts

And they are running all the time sales where you can buy points for 7.7$ per 1000 pts.

And keep in mind that they can decide at any given moment to increase the cost for a reward night,
so keeping a big amounts of choice points it is not advisable.
Half a cent a point is certainly more than four-tenths of a cent per point, but it's still a heck of a lot better than 7.7-tenths of a cent per point. I have managed to buy all or almost all of the points offered for several years, and I'm glad it's going to be easy this year, since I've used almost all my points. Even if they devalue, I manage to get great value out of my points, so it's a risk I'm willing to take.
boxo likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 4:25 pm

Anyone know if availability for luxury preferred hotels and resorts are good? I'm looking at a 55k property, but avail only opens up 75 days in advace for plat members... in that case buying points from daily getaways is still the best option even at .48 cpm
Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:21 pm

it's YMMV, some 55k property worth way more than .48 cpm, some are not, and Choice web interface there is no easier way to check multi hotel at same time.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond
When looking through the app for availability with points, is it normal that it says there is no availability for the room if I don't have enough points to book it? I am looking at the correct time frame (less than 75 days out as I matched to platinum). Or is this saying that even if I would have sufficient points there actually is no availability with points?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seemed easier to buy points this year than the past couple of years. Probably a combination of more inventory, slightly higher prices, fewer point transfer options, less publicity, fewer Choice award hotel "bargains" and a new and somewhat confusing Daily Getaways interface. Amazingly, the 28,000 point offer is still available as I write this! (Not surprised that the 14,000 offer is left, as that one was materially more expensive and somewhat marginal.)

Because of the ease of purchase, my wife and I bought more points than we usually do -- everything except the 14K offer. Given the risk of devaluation, we probably bought too many points, but we did use a ton of points last year with some VERY cheap redemptions. I think we averaged about 12,000 points/night with regular room rates averaging about $175. Most of the points were used in Europe, but I also had some very good Bluegreen stays. We actually had to throttle down our Choice stays as the year went on because we were running out of points!

I'm skeptical I'll get as good a value this year. The current redemption levels seem almost random. Where are folks finding the most value now? It's always a problem to track this stuff down, because the blogger community almost completely ignores Choice.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iahphx
It seemed easier to buy points this year than the past couple of years. Probably a combination of more inventory, slightly higher prices, fewer point transfer options, less publicity, fewer Choice award hotel "bargains" and a new and somewhat confusing Daily Getaways interface. Amazingly, the 28,000 point offer is still available as I write this! (Not surprised that the 14,000 offer is left, as that one was materially more expensive and somewhat marginal.)

Because of the ease of purchase, my wife and I bought more points than we usually do -- everything except the 14K offer. Given the risk of devaluation, we probably bought too many points, but we did use a ton of points last year with some VERY cheap redemptions. I think we averaged about 12,000 points/night with regular room rates averaging about $175. Most of the points were used in Europe, but I also had some very good Bluegreen stays. We actually had to throttle down our Choice stays as the year went on because we were running out of points!

I'm skeptical I'll get as good a value this year. The current redemption levels seem almost random. Where are folks finding the most value now? It's always a problem to track this stuff down, because the blogger community almost completely ignores Choice.
The volume of packages for sale was at least 3 times larger than in the prior year?

The bloggers did cover this sale rather extensively.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The volume of packages for sale was at least 3 times larger than in the prior year?

The bloggers did cover this sale rather extensively.
There was some coverage, but we lacked the wall-to-wall blogger coverage we sometimes see.

I also think MOST frequent travellers don't really understand the Choice program. And who can blame them? It's not covered very well in the blogosphere.

I also think most travellers should NOT be buying Choice points. Yes, there are sweet spots, but you generally have to be a VERY frequent traveller to find them. MOST Choice hotels are not particularly well priced on points, and aren't particularly good hotels!
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:04 am
Suspended

There was some coverage, but we lacked the wall-to-wall blogger coverage we sometimes see.

I also think MOST frequent travellers don't really understand the Choice program. And who can blame them? It's not covered very well in the blogosphere.

I also think most travellers should NOT be buying Choice points. Yes, there are sweet spots, but you generally have to be a VERY frequent traveller to find them. MOST Choice hotels are not particularly well priced on points, and aren't particularly good hotels!
Most of the major readership miles/points bloggers in the US seemed to have covered it at least as well as two years ago when they sold out way faster. The supply was ramped up big time this year and that seems to have been the the big difference from prior years when these packages were way harder to get. It also helped that WN clamped down on what transfers meant.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond

I know Loyalty Traveler gives reasonable coverage to the Choice program, and from his posts and some in this forum, I know that the Nordic Choice program is good and that there are still some properties in Europe that are good values. It appears that the Dublin properties have completely left the Choice program with my most recent search bringing up an Ascend property in Belfast for 12K points. I'm probably going to stay in Belfast in September on a trip to Ireland/NI so maybe I'll check out this hotel. Side note: the former Clarion IFSC, now the Spencer, seems not to be hurting from the change--I did an 8K redemption there for a suite that's now regularly $500 per night on most third-party booking sites.

I have a specific use for Choice points in the Orlando area where there's still the occasional 6-10K property. I bought one 55K package yesterday mostly for backup purposes and because I have a trip planned to Vienna, Austria in November that might also prove a good use of Choice points.

I don't complain too much about the changes in the Choice program because there are plenty of other changes occurring in all of the hotel loyalty programs--right now, IHG and Marriott/SPG especially--but I don't feel the need to buy a lot of Choice points anymore.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
we bought 300k worth of points between both accounts but this is our primary stay hotels in orlando and close to home for staycations, we always get more value on the points vs the nights cost. Last year I did two nights in dublin for dirt cheap and one other night near the Cliffs also dirt cheap.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:35 am

Has anyone had their purchased points post yet?
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Great question, Flightline! Mine have not!
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Brendan
Great question, Flightline! Mine have not!
neither have mine
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:46 pm

Nor have mine and I'm waiting for them to show up to book for a trip this week. Maybe it's not meant to be! I tried calling the number for Choice Support on the invoice but they didn't know anything about this other than buying points from Points.com which are supposed to show up in 24 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.