Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Choice | Choice Privileges
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Best Rate Guarantee is offering free room again!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Best Rate Guarantee is offering free room again!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: AOPA
Long wait

It looks like they are withholding the claim for certain reservations. Some people are getting approved for the same hotel but others are "held".

A friend of mine got approved for the same hotel with in 6 hours, where mine has been over 24hrs.

are they just waiting for the OTA to adjust the rates?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:47 pm

Sneaky Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by lowfareair
I'm assuming you're referring to "If there is a rate available on a Choice branded website that is the same or lower than the Competing Rate, that rate will be offered for the entire Booking and you will not be eligible to receive the first night free." in the terms and conditions.

The rate I booked was refundable, and while there was an advance purchase rate on choicehotels.com for about 20% less than the rate I booked, it was still higher than the competing rate, so it does not have to be considered.
I think the reason that they included this clause is that some Choice brand websites might show different rates for the same room.

For example I found a rate on choicehotels.com to be 12 USD higher than the rate I found on nordicchoicehotels.dk. The exact same room, conditions and dates. So in this case, even though I found the same room on hotels.com with same conditions at a cheaper rate than the choicehotels.com rate is was the same rate found on nordicchoicehotes.dk.

This way they don't have to hand out free rooms. So I guess this underlines the advice that one should never book a non-refundable rate in order to make a BRG claim. Since it can be difficult to know whether there is a Choice branded website out there with a lower rate.

Btw rates from the nordicchoicehotels websites do not show up on kayak or hotelscombined.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:28 am

Filed a claim. Everything matches. Also cancellation dates/hour.

Received this:

The competing website information you submitted for does not clarify the same room type as pet friendly your room reservation at www.choicehotels.com or one of our brand websites.
I checked the Choice website and the competing website, nowhere does it state anything about pet policy.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Rasmus3s
I think the reason that they included this clause is that some Choice brand websites might show different rates for the same room.

For example I found a rate on choicehotels.com to be 12 USD higher than the rate I found on nordicchoicehotels.dk. The exact same room, conditions and dates. So in this case, even though I found the same room on hotels.com with same conditions at a cheaper rate than the choicehotels.com rate is was the same rate found on nordicchoicehotes.dk.

This way they don't have to hand out free rooms. So I guess this underlines the advice that one should never book a non-refundable rate in order to make a BRG claim. Since it can be difficult to know whether there is a Choice branded website out there with a lower rate.

Btw rates from the nordicchoicehotels websites do not show up on kayak or hotelscombined.
The clause is there in case by the time the claim is processed an equal or lower price is then available on Choice's website. I have had this happen a few times. When I claim it the price is more on Choice, but a few hours or day later the prices match.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 336
Filed a claim. Everything matches. Also cancellation dates/hour.

Received this:

I checked the Choice website and the competing website, nowhere does it state anything about pet policy.
Pet policy ? What a BS. The more silly excuse I have seen to deny a BRG claim.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Appeal it. Ask for a supervisor to sign off on the claim.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Pet policy ? What a BS. The more silly excuse I have seen to deny a BRG claim.
If the room description cites "pet friendly" and the other doesn't, then it wouldn't be a match. I really don't understand what is so difficult to understand.

All properties that allow pets have certain rooms designated for the furbabies. Often it means no carpeting or stain-resistent carpets. In-house, these rooms are designated under a certain class/category. Ten years ago, consumers were blind to this differentiation. These days, every detail is added to room descriptions.

Over the past few years, all hotel sites have gone semi-crazy with overly explicit super-detailed room descriptions, partly to be consumer friendly and partly (mostly?) to stop the ability to price compare and price match.

That's the way the game is played in 2015. There are still matchable deals out there. The BRG blog cites a couple nearly every day of the week.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:18 am

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Just an fyi that I don't know if anyone else has encountered yet, but the Ascend property in LAS is now specifically the only Choice Hotel excluded from BRG.

I call it shenanigans to specifically allow one hotel a blanket excuse to have a subpar revenue management team.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: BD, AA, BA, CO Marriott Plat>gold, Hyatt Diamond>Plat,Hilton Gold SPG Gold PC Plat
Originally Posted by Rasmus3s

This is what has been happened to me, the last 3 rejections have all said the the difference is less than $1. Whilst the OTA rates were between $3 and $11 cheaper.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:23 pm

easytobook is offering me a better price than choicehotels. 2 usd off but only when i go via the aggregatorsite hotelscombined. is this still eligible for the brg?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:57 pm

I have a valid BRG claim, but when I click on the Claim Form link, it just opens up a fillable PDF in a new window. There is a button on said PDF to "Submit Form" but pushing that button does not do anything. Any workarounds?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:52 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Have you tried different browsers, ryanthekiwi? Appears to be working on a mac with Chrome.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by ryanthekiwi
I have a valid BRG claim, but when I click on the Claim Form link, it just opens up a fillable PDF in a new window. There is a button on said PDF to "Submit Form" but pushing that button does not do anything. Any workarounds?
Send the PDF as an attachment to [email protected]
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:38 pm

Has anyone ever been able to call the hotel and request a day later check in? My plans have changed and I can't use my BIRG on the night I requested. Would this cancel my BIRG automatically? I don't speak very good French, but I might just have to wing it and see how it goes.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Duane Haas
Has anyone ever been able to call the hotel and request a day later check in? My plans have changed and I can't use my BIRG on the night I requested. Would this cancel my BIRG automatically? I don't speak very good French, but I might just have to wing it and see how it goes.
The odds that you could check in on a day different than your "free night" approach zero. Sorry, but it's just not going to work.

Of course, you could always try.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.